Author Topic: Riff Raff Theater: Speed (The Live Show)  (Read 19995 times)

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
Riff Raff Theater: Speed (The Live Show)
« on: December 04, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »
We are pleased to announce the live premiere of Riff Raff Theater!

Where: The Englert Theatre, Iowa City, IA
When: February 1st, 8PM
Ticket info: http://www.englert.org

Tickets will go on sale on Thursday, December 6th, available through the Englert website or their ticket hotline.

Update: Tickets now on sale! - Ticket Info @ The Englert

So, what movie are we riffing?

That's right, we'll be performing a riff of Speed for your viewing displeasure. Script submission starts now and ends January 7th.

I'm working on arranging something for everyone who gets jokes into the script. Writers for sure will be able to take a bow at the live show, but we'll try and get prizes and whatnot for everyone that participates. As we progress with this, those prizes will become more considerable, so patience with us as we get the boulder rolling.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:33:47 AM by ChrisHanel »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Riff Raff Theater: The Live Show
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 05:58:33 PM »
Speed? Whoa.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:46:10 PM »
Already got the script started. Good lord is this film riffable.
Meanwhile, I'll be contacting Raven to see if we're going to Iowa City together.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 08:07:34 PM »
And yes, in case it isn't clear, we'll be releasing an online riff of Speed as well. :D

-Chris

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:48:58 PM »
How Does This Work?
First, you write a script for the film, your favourite scene, or even just a line or two. We'll cover this in detail below. When finished, send your script to me (Chaos) via PM (Personal Message). I will compile all of the material I receive from you guys, and edit it in with the script that Riff Raff Theater writes.

Unless otherwise stated, Riff Raff Theater uses the "theatrical" release of any given movie, in NTSC format. Any VHS or DVD that has the "standard" theater version of the movie will have the exact same time indexes as each other. This includes widescreen editions as well as HD-DVD / Blu-Ray Disc copies of the movie. If you are using a PAL copy of the DVD, you can still participate! Just be sure to tell us you are using the PAL DVD, and we can convert your script to NTSC format on our end.

Instructions for Writing and Formatting Your Script
Using your DVD's time index display, copy down the exact timestamp that the riff line should be spoken, as well as a quick description of what is happening on screen when you say it, and then the actual riff line to be spoken. Each of these three pieces of information should be together on one line, with a caret symbol (Shift-6 on your keyboard) between each one.

Here are some examples:

Basic
0:02:56 ^ Walter falls over ^ Too many martinis.
0:14:23 ^ "...just as you asked." ^ (As Bruno) Should I take off my pants now?

For Dialogue:
1:03:12 ^ Sitting in cafe ^ (Effeminate voice) So you heard about Jessica, I bet?
1:03:13 ^ same ^ (Effeminate voice) Who hasn't?
1:03:15 ^ same ^ I know!

Multiple Speakers, Single Time Index
1:47:12 ^ piano falls on dog ^ Riffer 1: "The dog peed on that piano when it was still a tree." Riffer 2: "Ah, so the dog had it coming, then?" Riffer 1: "Yes."

For Sounds:
1:45:46 ^ Agnes bends over ^ *fart noise*

For riffs that end at a certain moment:
2:23:12 ^ "... who can say?" ^ (As George) But of course, we all choose our own path, and make our own choices, so when you get right down to it, freedom is really in the eye of those who choose, and... (till 02:23:18)

A few notes and tips:
Please do not double space your script.
Please make sure your script is in order by time index.
PLEASE follow the formatting guidelines. The less time it takes me to add your material to the script, the more time I have to READ your material and make sure the good lines make it into the final cut. :)
Do not feel the need to fill in every single second of the script with material, especially if some areas of the movie have you struggling. Send the stuff you think is really funny. Quality is definitely better than quantity. We don't like having to cut material, but the simple truth is that there is a limited number of seconds in the movie, and we can't overlap jokes, so... :)

The "Fine Print"
By submitting riff material, you agree to allow Riff Raff Theater to use that material for the purposes of recording the audio commentary track, as well as live performances. Riff Raff Theater reserves the right to modify or omit any material submitted to us, or to use that material in future projects, as appropriate. Feel free to use foul language or suggestive material if you feel it fits the situation, but again remember that we may need to edit it out depending on the situation (riffs for live shows in particular will usually need to match the rating of the movie being riffed).

We will continue to post the text script for riff projects showing who wrote each joke, but from now on the script will not be made available until AFTER the mp3 is released... this helps to maintain the fun of watching.

REMINDER: the deadline for this project is January 7th. Don't delay! :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 06:08:41 AM »
By the way, since we've got a couple of scripts going at once for the moment, please title your PM either Tron or Speed.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
Re: Riff Raff Theater: Speed (The Live Show)
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:32:55 PM »
We're also looking for jokes or ideas that can be used for the live show. Think you have a joke that requires the film to be paused? Want the audience to do something funny (that they can easily be led to do)? Let us know with your submission.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 02:35:28 AM »
Went to get started on a riff for this one and I was really surpised to see that I don't already own it.  I have tons of these horrible action movies from the 80's and 90's on my shelves.  Anybody seen a cheap copy at a target or wal-mart?  I don't really have the hour to waste driving to the nearest Circuit City/Best Buy.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 03:40:26 AM »
I'll throw it on the rental list.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 08:23:21 AM »
Oh, you're doing it Rocky Horror style? Okay, wait for the first scene when Sandra Bullock appears, and then throw... your lunch up all over the screen. Haha, I'm kidding of course. You won't have a choice.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 09:02:24 AM »

Hee hee. Logo-age.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »
Already got the script started. Good lord is this film riffable.
Meanwhile, I'll be contacting Raven to see if we're going to Iowa City together.

Not gonna try and get anyone else to go with? You need to put together a caravan or something.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 12:21:51 PM »
Maybe Raven so far, but actually, if we can get all Eastern Wisconsinite members to get to Madison on the 1st of February, I think making a thing of it would be awesome.

Also, I am Victor Vernon, and I approve this Logo.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 08:13:12 PM »
You riff into your own brains? How can the audience hear you?

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 08:14:49 PM »
"You guys are called the Lone Rangers? You're not exatly alone...."