Author Topic: Activision and Vivendi Merge  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 987
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Activision and Vivendi Merge
« on: December 03, 2007, 11:09:46 AM »
Well, this one snuck in over the weekend:

Vivendi and Activision to Create Activision Blizzard - World's Largest, Most Profitable Pure-Play Video Game Publisher

Yes, they are really naming the new entity Activision Blizzard. Apparently Vivendi's subsidiary is worth more name-wise than the parent company.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
Re: Activision and Vivendi Merge
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:16:43 AM »
According to the article I read on Slashdot, it is actually just Activision and Blizzard that are merging... Vivendi will be the largest investing stockholder in the joint company, but will still be a separate company of their own.

I don't like this, personally. I don't care for Activision's track record of spyware, rootkits, adware, and crappy delivery on games. Putting them together with Blizzard is a recipe to make Blizzard suckier, IMO. Whenever I think of bad video game companies, EA is a great big giant #1l, but Activision was always #2 for me.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 11:36:33 AM »
According to the article I read on Slashdot, it is actually just Activision and Blizzard that are merging... Vivendi will be the largest investing stockholder in the joint company, but will still be a separate company of their own.

Yeah, I was a little imprecise. Vivendi spun off their games division and gave Activision a billion in cash  in exchange for the shares in the new entity.

And at this point, Blizzard's issued a FAQ about the merger which basically says, "Yeah, this won't affect our stuff any." I hope they're correct.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3154
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 11:43:37 AM »
Based on Activision's financial history, I'm guessing we're going to see an Activision that's more Blizzard-Like rather than the other way around. :^)

Offline eclipt1c

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »
This can only be good for Guitar Hero fans though:

Link
It will also give Activision's Guitar Hero franchise direct access to the library of Vivendi's Universal Music Group, the world's largest record label.
'Skip to the End' - Spaced

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 01:39:47 PM »
Yeah, just last week I was reading posts that GH was doomed as Activision couldn't compete with MTV's support of Rock Band. This does even things up quite a bit for the GH folks. Plus the equipment problems with Rock Band aren't helping.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 03:12:55 PM »
Huh, it seemed they did fine enough on gh3 as far as acquiring tracks went, why would they have been doomed? weird.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 06:57:08 PM »
Huh, it seemed they did fine enough on gh3 as far as acquiring tracks went, why would they have been doomed? weird.

It's internet logic. Some folks were disappointed by GH3, therefore it was a huge failure and the GH series is doomed. Rock Band, on the other has the Harmonix folks working on it, is published by EA the big dogs on the block, has MTV backing it allowing it to sign much better artists and has much better DLC available. Plus, rumors keep appearing about Activision doing an Aerosmith expansion for GH. Therefore, the GH is doomed. At least until GH4 comes out and people gripe how the last one was so much better.