Poll

What's your favorite Rankin/Bass Holiday Special?

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
14 (53.8%)
The Little Drummer Boy
1 (3.8%)
Frosty the Snowman
2 (7.7%)
Santa Claus is Comin' To Town
2 (7.7%)
The Year Without a Santa Claus
6 (23.1%)
Nestor, the Long Eared Christmas Donkey (Not the Rifftrax)
0 (0%)
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: What's your favorite Rankin/Bass Holiday Special?  (Read 3558 times)

YoohooRiffer

What's your favorite Rankin/Bass Holiday Special?
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:56:27 PM »
To me, a strong staple of the holiday season consists of Christmas specials.  As a child I had a huge collection of taped Christmas specials that I would watch every year.  While there are many obscure specials that I enjoy watching, it is the Rankin/Bass animated shows that have achieved the widest familiarity.  And so with the holiday season coming up so quickly I thought I'd make a poll to see which one we all preferred.  So vote! And discuss your choices here!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: What's your favorite Rankin/Bass Holiday Special?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »
Of their many Christmas specials, I'd think I'll have to jump behind the classic "Rudolph" special.  That and Nestor are the two that we'd make sure to watch every year as I was growing up.

I remember being very surprised when I saw that Rankin and Bass were also behind Thundercats.  It was the only non-holiday special I'd ever seen in relation to that company.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:03:39 PM »
Of those listed I have to say "Rudolf".....no contest.

Another "holiday" special of theirs keeps being forgotten though....I mean, Halloween is a holiday, too.

Anything with Boris Karloff......    :highfive:

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 07:47:17 PM »
Wow, Boris Karlof IS hard to vote against.

For me, it HAS to be Rudolf.   Just the memories of being a little kid, helping my dad build the fire in the fire place, helping mom make the popcorn in our HOT AIR (with butter well) popcorn maker.    Just too many happy memories to ignore.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:31:51 AM »
Can I pick The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus?  But yeah, Rudolph of those listed.

That was the one I wondered about but of the list I chose Santa Clause is comming to town:

YoohooRiffer

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:32:59 AM »
Can I pick The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus?  But yeah, Rudolph of those listed.

Ask and you shall receive.  I had not heard of that one before.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:36:01 AM »
You can't top Rudolph. You just can't. Maybe it's genetic, since it used to be my mom's favorite Christmas special, but Rudolph has always carried a certain magic that no other Rankin/Bass production has ever managed to recapture. :^)

YoohooRiffer

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 10:52:01 AM »
I enjoy Rudolph however my personal favorite is Santa Claus is Coming to Town.  We all know the story of Rudolph from the song and while the show has some entertaining tangents with Hermey and Yukon Cornelis, I get a lot more out of the creative story of how Santa came to be Santa.  Plus I prefer the music in Santa Claus is Coming to Town than Rudolph.

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 03:58:45 PM »
Rudolph is easly the most iconic and the special I associate with Chrismas. Year Without a Santa Claus is actually a bit more fun to watch, but I didn't get introduced to it until a few years ago.

The best Christmas special of all time, however, is hands down A Muppet Family Christmas.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 08:49:08 PM »
Although I love the Heat Miser and Cold Miser from Year Without A Santa Claus, I had to go with Rudolph, just because it has so much going on.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 05:15:48 AM »
Rudolph is easly the most iconic and the special I associate with Chrismas. Year Without a Santa Claus is actually a bit more fun to watch, but I didn't get introduced to it until a few years ago.

The best Christmas special of all time, however, is hands down A Muppet Family Christmas.

Of the Jim Henson ones, I've always liked Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas.  Which is probably just an artifact of having grown up with it, because I really dislike that style of music.

I used to drive my mom insane with that special every year.  She absolutely despised it.  Over time I realized I didn't really care for it either and I would usually get bored half way through, but I got it into my head to watch over and over again just because it was Christmas, and it was Muppets.  Muppet Family Christmas was MUCH better.  Anyone remember A Christmas Toy though?  It was about a stuffed tiger toy who thought Christmas was all about him because the little girl he was given to as a gift told him he'd love him forever, but then he had to deal with being "replaced" the next year when the new toys came.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 05:26:39 AM »
Anyone remember A Christmas Toy though?  It was about a stuffed tiger toy who thought Christmas was all about him because the little girl he was given to as a gift told him he'd love him forever, but then he had to deal with being "replaced" the next year when the new toys came.

Thankfully, no!  Jeez, that sounds depressing!

Did he at least find some other kid who loved him, like Jessie in Toy Story II?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 05:29:06 AM »
Anyone remember A Christmas Toy though?  It was about a stuffed tiger toy who thought Christmas was all about him because the little girl he was given to as a gift told him he'd love him forever, but then he had to deal with being "replaced" the next year when the new toys came.

Thankfully, no!  Jeez, that sounds depressing!

Did he at least find some other kid who loved him, like Jessie in Toy Story II?

I don't remember it too much, it was on tv once that I remembered and I had a tape of it I watched now and then and is long since lost.  I think the tiger eventually learned just not to be so selfish and bonded with the other toys better.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 11:56:57 AM »
I remember that one. I seem to recall it being mildly disturbing as a kid. :^)

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 03:09:52 PM »
My favorite is "Here Comes Peter Cottontail", but unfortunately that's not listed. You haven't lived until you've seen Vincent Price play an evil rabbit. Avoid the CGI "Peter Cottontail: The Movie" at all costs.