login

Author Topic: "Weird Al" fans  (Read 63540 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: "Weird Al" fans
« Reply #495 on: April 10, 2018, 07:04:24 PM »
The show we went to was fantastic AND it was introduced by Dr Demento!! A few friends who went to other shows nearby said he wasn't at theirs, and the review of the second show in Chicago (we were at the first night) didn't say jack about Dr Demento.... which just might mean it was a bad reviewer.  Anyways, THAT was a fun surprise.

And Al's wife and daughter were up in the balcony box watching from the side. That was adorable... and his daughter looked like any other 14 year old would at her dad's show. Kinda just "along for the ride" up until the encore (The Saga Begins), where she sang and swayed along so intently that I get the feeling it's her favourite song of Al's.

Anywho.... wonderful show!!! Definitely worth it, even though the guy next to me reeked of BO.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #496 on: April 11, 2018, 06:31:45 AM »

Anywho.... wonderful show!!! Definitely worth it, even though the guy next to me reeked of BO.
You sat next to Brain Guy?

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #497 on: April 14, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »

If Brain Guy smells like overweight nerd sweat and he hasn't showered or used deodorant in weeks... then sure.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3785
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #498 on: April 14, 2018, 07:00:38 PM »

If Brain Guy smells like overweight nerd sweat and he hasn't showered or used deodorant in weeks... then sure.
So in other words.. rank beef :speechless:

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #499 on: April 18, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »
So Tyrant and I reached an agreement where we could both use a significant portion of our tax refund for a splurge. I chose the Weird Al Squeezebox set. The remasters are all extremely well-done. Songs from his first albums sound as crisp and clear as his new stuff does. Medium Rarities has some fun stuff. I would have liked more parodies (Like some of his concert-only stuff), but it's cool to have official copies of little one-off songs he's done for various TV shows and movies. And hey! Pac-Man!

And now I have something to get Weird Al to sign in a couple weeks when I see him live with my VIP pass.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 514
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #500 on: April 29, 2018, 08:38:11 PM »
Well, the concert is a little over a week from now, and I've looked over the map to get there several times on Google maps to get there(can you tell I'm anxious?). Anyway, I am still a little ambivalent about my own directions relying on the map because about 20 years ago I got lost in Santa Fe trying to get home. That might explain my continued distrust of my own directions.

I should just focus on just getting there because if I can get there, the hardest part is done... in theory. following the directions in reverse seems to be where I tend to foul things up.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #501 on: April 30, 2018, 07:12:57 AM »
Simulate driving your directions using google street view.

When I have to go somewhere in Philly I now use google street view to go through the directions, so I know what to look for.  Signage in Philly is horrendous, often you can't see the sign until you have to turn and if you are in the wrong lane you are out of luck.  Google street view is great for figuring out what lane you have to get into to make your turns.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #502 on: April 30, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »
Well, the concert is a little over a week from now, and I've looked over the map to get there several times on Google maps to get there(can you tell I'm anxious?). Anyway, I am still a little ambivalent about my own directions relying on the map because about 20 years ago I got lost in Santa Fe trying to get home. That might explain my continued distrust of my own directions.

I should just focus on just getting there because if I can get there, the hardest part is done... in theory. following the directions in reverse seems to be where I tend to foul things up.
Tyrant and I got a hotel near the concert and will be taking the Railrunner in on Saturday for a weekend getaway, so all I have to figure out is how to get to the hotel from the station. This is going to count as our vacation for the year, so we're making the most of it. Santa Fe seems like a good place to be on Cinco De Mayo.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #503 on: May 04, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »
I bought Squeeze Box (pre-ordered) before I became temporarily unemployed and fell into more debt... So when it arrived, I ripped it, and put it straight back into the box. My wife has been looking on eBay for an estimated price to try to sell it at with which.... Seems they go for a decent amount. The vinyl version seems up for sale more than the CD version (which I have), so I'm hoping to get a good amount for it and put some of that to my credit cards.

As for the remasters, yes, they are WONDERFUL and long overdue. And even one of the later albums, Straight Outta Lynnwood, where I had problems with the original production and mix, THAT seems to have been fixed too!!! It doesn't sound overly processed and auto-tuned as much as before. I didn't cringe at the vocal layering (or simulated layering?) on Pancreas, and I can listen to Virus Alert without wanting to kill everyone now!!!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #504 on: May 05, 2018, 02:23:23 PM »
I... I don't know how to describe it but I got all these feelings of apprehension about navigating my way through Santa Fe so... as difficult as this decision was for me, I'm not going to the concert. I hope everyone else has fun there though.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #505 on: May 07, 2018, 02:26:17 PM »
You missed a heck of a show. I got to hear Craigslist, which was a treat. Tyrant's personal favorite, Nature Trail to Hell, was also played and rocks in person. Seeing Al keyboard the organ solo in the middle on his accordion gives me a whole new appreciation for that one. Of course he faked the audience out a few times before playing Albuquerque, like he does whenever he plays New Mexico.

Then this happened!

Oh, and before the show, I went to Weird Al Jeopardy (A VIP perk) where I was selected from the audience. So this also happened:

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #506 on: May 07, 2018, 03:07:10 PM »
Nice, I wish I could have been there.  :(

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 754
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #507 on: May 08, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »
Jealous! I got sold out for the shows here in Boston. SO here is a pic of me when I got comped by the record label for the BAD HAIR DAY TOUR!

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 754
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #508 on: May 08, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »
Also, anyone want to hook a brother up with FLAC rips of the Squeeze Box?  I bought the vinyl set and no download code.  I can send a flash drive and return postage!

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #509 on: June 25, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »
So if you missed some or all of the Self-Indulgent Tour, the audio for every show is streaming right now on Stitcher:

https://www.stitcher.com

If you sign up for the monthly service, and use the Promo Code: WEIRD, you can get a free month. (And then unsubscribe before paying anything.) I recommend the Santa Fe show, mostly because I was there, but also because it's fun to hear Al tease an audience that really wants him to play Albuquerque.