Author Topic: "Weird Al" fans  (Read 65469 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: "Weird Al" fans
« Reply #480 on: March 04, 2018, 04:52:51 PM »
I also know nothing of Hamilton, but it's probably one of his most elaborate polkas. I can appreciate it purely on that level.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #481 on: March 07, 2018, 04:19:04 PM »
I knew just enough Hamilton to get a kick out of it, but unless I see Hamilton and get to know it better I probably won't revisit it too much.

It was awesome seeing the reaction video of Lin-Manuel listening to it for the first time.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #482 on: March 23, 2018, 05:58:05 PM »
I wish Weird Al would do a parody of The Dandy Warhols "The Last High" and call it "The Last Jedi".

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #483 on: March 23, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »
In two(2) weeks, I'll be seeing Al here in Chicago. I feel like this is the tour I've wanted to see from him for decades. Excited.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #484 on: March 23, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »
Saw Weird Al at Summer Fest in Milwaukee maybe 15 years ago. Was raining like hell and most of the shows that day were cancelled as a result and Weird Al's show was delayed until around midnight. Was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen though and was a great venue to see it (stage set up underneath a freeway overpass which gave some relief from the rain and no seats so everyone had to stand).

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #485 on: March 28, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »
I'm still regretful that I never got to see UHF during its short theatrical run.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #486 on: March 28, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
I'm still regretful that I never got to see UHF during its short theatrical run.
Me too.

I'm still surprised how unsuccessful it was in theaters. It's very funny. And while the humor is very childish, it is what you would expect from Weird Al, so it's not like anyone was going in with unrealistic expectations.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #487 on: March 28, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »
"Within the month prior, and up to the release of UHF, bigger blockbuster movies like Ghostbusters 2, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Lethal Weapon 2, Batman, Licence to Kill, When Harry Met Sally, and Weekend at Bernie's were also released by studios. The draw to these blockbuster movies is also attributable to the lower attendance at UHF's premiere."

Tough competition.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #488 on: March 28, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »
"Within the month prior, and up to the release of UHF, bigger blockbuster movies like Ghostbusters 2, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Lethal Weapon 2, Batman, Licence to Kill, When Harry Met Sally, and Weekend at Bernie's were also released by studios. The draw to these blockbuster movies is also attributable to the lower attendance at UHF's premiere."

Tough competition.
Oh damn.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #489 on: March 29, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
I remember getting the Soundtrack to UHF and listened to it ALL the damn time way back when and before I got the movie on VHS. Then when I watched the movie I was confused because a lot of the songs on the record were NOT in the movie, like "Attack of the radioactive hamsters from a planet near Mars", "Isle thing", "The Hot Rocks Polka", "Spam", and "The Biggest ball of twine in Minnesota".

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #490 on: March 29, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »
I saw UHF in theater at the 3-plex theater that was kind of our town's "low tier" theater. Kind of out of the way, didn't get a lot of traffic. Smaller screens.... The only other movie I can remember seeing there was BTTF3.

The SOUNDTRACK was so lesser known for so long that I actually got into arguments with other kids in my Boy Scout troop as to if it was real or not. It wasn't until The Food Album came out that I had physical proof........
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #491 on: March 29, 2018, 09:57:16 PM »
I remember being on a car trip with my mom to Colorado when I was like 11 and I played the UHF album on the car stereo over and over and over again. If you can't tell by now, my mom has always been a very patient person.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #492 on: April 05, 2018, 09:53:58 PM »
Tomorrow I see Al! I think the last time I saw him was the Poodle Hat tour

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #493 on: April 05, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »
a reddit thread that's compiled a lot of the other covers he's been doing during the tour.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/89v9kg/weird_al_has_been_covering_songs_lately_without/

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #494 on: April 05, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »
So when Weird Al comes to Albuquerque, he likes to tease the crowd a few times by coming out for an encore (The crowd would be chanting for him to play Albuquerque, of course) and then playing something different. He does this 5-10 times before actually playing Albuquerque.

So a few years back (I want to say it was the Lynnwood Tour) he came out after a couple fake-outs and said, "I guess you guys wanted to hear a song about Albuquerque..." and actually belted out a straight cover of "Sweet Home Alabama", only he changed "Alabama" to "Albuquerque." Start to finish. He also played another straight cover with no changed lyrics, but I can't remember which one. The man can cover songs, and he and the band nail it every time. Can't wait to see what he does for this tour.