Author Topic: "Weird Al" fans  (Read 64825 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: "Weird Al" fans
« Reply #360 on: July 15, 2014, 11:00:14 AM »
Tacky was OK. Word Crimes is immediately one of my favorites (Though my English degree and editing career might give me a teeny bit of bias). I'll weigh in on the whole shebang when I have a chance to pick up and listen to the album on the way home from work.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #361 on: July 15, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »
that theme song for rape isn't so bad, 'cause it gave us a good weird al song. :)
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #362 on: July 15, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »
I need to listen to the album a few more times before I decide what I think.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #363 on: July 15, 2014, 02:00:12 PM »

I'll let you know when we start the contest to win a signed vinyl test pressing!  The LP comes out 8/5 and I should be starting the contest this week sometime.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #364 on: July 15, 2014, 02:19:16 PM »

I'll let you know when we start the contest to win a signed vinyl test pressing!  The LP comes out 8/5 and I should be starting the contest this week sometime.

Nice! I stopped in earlier today & a guy grabbed the last copy right before I could get it.  Best Buy in Braintree had a bunch of copies left.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #365 on: July 15, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »

Nice! I stopped in earlier today & a guy grabbed the last copy right before I could get it.  Best Buy in Braintree had a bunch of copies left.

Damn! CDs have been making a comeback at Braintree.  Hope I sold more AL than Morrissey!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #366 on: July 15, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
All the haters can just back off of "Jackson Park Express." It got more laughs from me than any of the other songs. It's peppered with little gems like, "I would sacrifice anything for our love - goat, chicken, whatever." and "You are my answer to everything, which is why I'll probably do poorly on the written portion of my driver's test."

Overall, I think I liked it. I haven't quite internalized it to the extent that I have the other albums (It's only a matter of time).

Sports Song was OK, but would be awesome if it actually became a tradition at sporting events.

Word Crimes remains the highlight of the album for me.

NOW That's What I Call Polka was another great entry into the Weird Al Polka lexicon, and it only took 2 weeks of listening to the popular music station to have a solid frame of reference for every song contained therein.

Mission Statement is impressive simply because it takes almost 5 minutes and never really says anything at all, which is a great commentary on corporate buzz-speak.

The rest need to marinate, but I think Al did a good job of chosing the more palatable songs in modern pop culture, with one or two exceptions.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:52:41 PM by Pak-Man »

Soguru

« Reply #367 on: July 15, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »
I hope Marge Simpson is watching that video.
"I can't exscape Lisa! My little walking Libary!"

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #368 on: July 15, 2014, 10:55:11 PM »
Not sure if my opinion of Word Crimes is effected by how disgusting I find Blurred Lines or how contemptable I find grammer nazis but so far it's the definite weak part of album for me.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #369 on: July 16, 2014, 04:11:40 AM »
Not sure if my opinion of Word Crimes is effected by how disgusting I find Blurred Lines or how contemptable I find grammer nazis but so far it's the definite weak part of album for me.

*grammar.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #370 on: July 16, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
Sweet. I was afraid all the videos would be animated:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/w-0TEJMJOhk?" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/w-0TEJMJOhk?</a>

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #371 on: July 16, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
I almost wish I had seen the video before hearing the album, because as hard as I laughed at the second verse, I would've laughed EVEN HARDER if my first time had been with the visuals, too.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #372 on: July 16, 2014, 10:46:42 AM »
I almost wish I had seen the video before hearing the album, because as hard as I laughed at the second verse, I would've laughed EVEN HARDER if my first time had been with the visuals, too.

Agreed. The video makes Foil one of my favorites from the album.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #373 on: July 16, 2014, 11:19:25 AM »
Ah I knew Patton Oswalt would be showing up in one of these.

Soguru

« Reply #374 on: July 16, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »

*grammar.
To be fair, I think he did that on purpose.