Author Topic: "Weird Al" fans  (Read 48020 times)

Offline Insert Coin(s) to Continue

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
    • Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Re: "Weird Al" fans
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 07:38:32 PM »
Well, his tour is over now. He has no reason not to be in the studio in the not too distant future :)

Crazy_88s

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 09:13:59 PM »
Well, his tour is over now. He has no reason not to be in the studio in the not too distant future :)
Next Sunday A.D.?

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 09:25:10 PM »

Weird Al story:

I was working on the lower level of a CD store here in SF when i got a call on the internal phone. So i pick up the receiver, and before i get a chance to answer... my buddy upstairs is yelling: "On the stairs! The stairs! It's Weird Al!" Sure enough, Weird Al comes downstairs with his girlfriend or wife or whoever. Although he had his new casual hairdo, which was kinda' new at the time... or, at least it was new to me. So i didn't really recognize him for sure, at first.

Eventually he made his way to our cheapo used bargain-bin. He was amused by the fact that you could buy the entire MC Hammer catalogue for less than five bucks. And that's when i knew it was definitely him.

Anyway i tried to play it cool, but that wasn't happening. Finally i cracked open one of his CDs from our inventory and asked him to sign it... which he did. Then i stole it from work later that night.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Eyy Veeee Peeeee.
    • ChrisHanel.com
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 09:42:13 PM »
A few Al-ecdotes: (heh)

-My dad took me to see him when he came into town for the Bad Hair Day tour. I was 3rd or 4th in line outside after the show for autographs, and he shook my hand and started to sign the CD.
"I'm proud to tell you that I have a lot of free time on my hands, Mr. Yankovic."
He had to stop signing the CD because he was cracking up, and he told me i was one of the first fans to find that easter egg, or at least tell him that they had. He might have been BSing to make my day, but it certainly worked.

-I memorized Albuquerque to win a small prop bet, and now this information is practically useless in my head. Every time i've been to a kareoke night, I've checked to see if they've had it. Of course, nobody ever does, and the audience would slaughter me if I started performing a 13 minute song anyways.

-For a brief time, I was in posession of Al's home phone number. He called into the support line I worked at and spoke with another tech (both pieces of info to remain nameless to protect the guilty) looking for a hard to find item. The tech happened to be a fan and carried on a small conversation with him. Knowing I was a fan, he gave me the number without telling me what it was, daring me to call it. Afraid it was a phone sex line or some other trap, I refused, and eventually threw the phone number away. After I did so, he told me what it was and ran down the hallways cackling madly.

I hate that guy.
"Could I recommend some jugglers you might like?" -- Bill Hicks

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2297
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 11:04:45 PM »
Now that's just plain mean!
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2007, 01:05:30 AM »
ChrisHanel brought up "Albuquerque" which reminded me of the lip-sync contests I performed in with (surprise) Weird Al songs. The first year I knew about the lip-sync contest that my college put on, I decided I'd use it as an excuse to play one of his songs. I also decided I didn't want to just stand in one place and sing along. I wanted to do something that would have visual interest. Listening to Albuquerque, I figured there was a lot of material I could work with. I checked to make sure there was nothing in the rules about the length of the song and that I'd be that last one performing. I didn't want anybody to go on after me and be ticked off that the song was so long. I performed it, and was pleasantly surprised with how well it did. (Incidentally, the guy who was running the CD player cut the music off a little bit early, thinking it was the end. I assured him that it wasn't and thankfully the audience was on my side when I convinced him to restart that part of the song.) I was even more pleasantly surprised when I won first prize. Everyone wanted me to come back next year, except for one judge who thought it was too long (and didn't like me).

The second year I did it I couldn't help but notice that this judge had put on a five minute limit this year. That was fine, I didn't want to repeat the same song anyway. This judge also (for no readily apparent reason) wanted to make sure that no songs by Nine Inch Nails were going to be played. Feeling rebellious against this guy, I immediately had a desire to do a Nine Inch Nails song, despite the fact that I was not an especially big fan of their work. (Although I do like "Head Like A Hole" and to a lesser extent "Closer".) Then I remembered that Al had done an original song inspired by NIN called "Germs". It was the required length, so I went with that. I wanted to dress all in black and have a strobe light. Unfortunately I was unable to come up with a strobe light and had to make do. I came in second place to a couple of guys singing Elton John's "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart". One of them was in drag. Oh, if only I'd had a strobe light....

The third year the judge once again put a five minute limit on the song. Again feeling rebellious, I decided to find something exactly five minutes long. After a little bit of research I discovered that "Angry White Boy Polka" was a couple seconds or so away from being five minutes long, so I went with that. Nobody showed up in drag that year, so I ended up with first place again. For unexplained reasons, there wasn't one my last year in college. (That judge might have gone to exotic lengths to make sure I didn't find out about one, but I doubt it.) If there had been one, I probably would have gone with "Existential Blues" by Tom T-Bone Stankus.

Needless to say I was amazed and very happy when, at the end of the Ohio State Fair concert I went to, Al came out for an encore to sing the cell phone song and.... Albuquerque!!!  ;D

• Big Montana
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »
My friends and I sing Weird Al songs whenever we're on long car or bus rides anywhere. We always go through Albuquerque and Trapped in the Drive-Thru at least once.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2007, 07:31:27 PM »
When he toured for Off the Deep End he played a small bar/club in Hallendale Florida called the Button South. General admission right up against the stage and we started a pit for Smells Like Nirvana. Bermuda gave us press passes and we were allowed to snap pics all night:

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

• Big Montana
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2007, 05:37:01 PM »
Bermuda's a really cool guy. He did a small voice part for one of my Flash animations once.

Offline valeyard

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 10:43:18 AM »
My daughter saw Weird Al live at the Ohio State Fair last August.  I don't know why I couldn't come.  So Jealous!   :'(

I guess SOME 17 year olds don't like their moms tagging along on their dates.  Some kids are funny like that!!!!!!!   :grr: 

;)  :D
Are you my virgins?  I hope not!

Doctor Who?

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 05:05:10 PM »
Hey can anyone here tell me if Al ever made a music video for "The night Santa went crazy"?

If he did i want to track down a copy becouse I love his videos and that seems like it would be a good one to scare my little brother and sister with.

• Big Montana
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 05:46:38 PM »
Hey can anyone here tell me if Al ever made a music video for "The night Santa went crazy"?

If he did i want to track down a copy becouse I love his videos and that seems like it would be a good one to scare my little brother and sister with.
Al never did, but there is a particularly good fan video here.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2051
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 05:50:54 PM »
Guys, I heard that Wierd Al was going to play a Transfomer in the new cartoon.  Wrec Gar

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Crazy_88s

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 09:11:01 PM »
Guys, I heard that Wierd Al was going to play a Transfomer in the new cartoon.  Wrec Gar
Now I am conflicted! I can't decide whether I would rather see Eric Idle or Weird Al in the role! It's just so conflicting!

Doctor Who?

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2007, 10:58:11 PM »

Al never did, but there is a particularly good fan video here.

Thanks alot.

Eric had his chance now it's Al's turn.

The more Weird Al is out there the better I say.

Also am I the only one who freaked when about three seconds into the song I reconised Weird Al's voice in that Robot Chicken episode?