Author Topic: Any other Gilbert and Sullivan fans here?  (Read 130 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 612
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Any other Gilbert and Sullivan fans here?
« on: January 08, 2019, 02:14:29 PM »
I've seen almost all of their operettas. I think the only one's I'm missing are Princess Ida, The Yeoman of the Guard and The Grand Duke. And Thespis, but nobody alive has seen Thespis, since it's been lost.

Any way, Ive had a severe case of insomnia lately, and I ran across this on TouTube in the middle of the night:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_sllm9eFcLI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_sllm9eFcLI</a>

This is from an Australian production of HMS Pinafore, The Mikado and Pirates of Penzance back to back to back, and this is this was final curtain call. If you're a G&S fan, you'll either love it or hate it. Personally I think G&S would have loved it. Neither one of them actually held their own work in high regard (or maybe that was just British self deprecation), but now, well over 100 years later, they're some of the most popular operettas ever written.

Fun Fact: Pirates of Penzance opened in New York, rather than London. But when they got there, Sullivan discovered they'd left the score for the entire first act back in London. He had to rewrite it from memory. The story goes that the only song he couldn't remember was the song where the Daughters first enter. So he lifted a song from Thespis, "Climbing over Rocky Mountains". Since Thespis has now been lost, that's the only part of it known to still exist.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 612
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Any other Gilbert and Sullivan fans here?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 05:25:30 PM »
So, no then :-[

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2379
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:40:20 PM »
 No, sir. I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members since I have been back.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2888
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 01:14:25 AM »
I got to watch a performance of The Pirates of Penzance once as part of a theater class I had to take in college. Loved the songs and the humor, but not enough of a theater-head to dive in and become a fan. I suspect I'd be one if I was more of a musical-going type.