login

Author Topic: Round Table Riff: Harry Potter RELEASED  (Read 23994 times)

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
Re: Round Table Riff: Harry Potter RELEASED
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »
Also everyone, just as a reminder, if you download this from the torrent link, PLEASE seed it for awhile when you are done... I can't seed this thing all by myself or nobody will get good download rates. :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »
And now, for something completely different (only not).

Somewhere along the way of editing the Harry Potter riff (probably after the first feedback was starting to come in from the 40 minute rough cut I posted a while back), the gears started spinning around in my head. The concept that we were producing here deserved more than a pat on the head and an "awww, look at the cute widdle fans" sympathy clap. This was definitely succeeding at entertaining people. It also happened to coincide with something that I've been trying to set up in my hometown. And so, phone calls were made and handshakes were given, and now, we have a little operation on our hands.

I am pleased to announce the creation of a new fan riffing project called Riff Raff Theater. We plan to operate much the same as we already have: a title is chosen, we will write a script, community people submit their own scripts or single lines, those scripts are edited into one final draft, and the draft is given to professional performers, who knock out the final audio. As far as how we choose the titles, some will be chosen by us, and others will be decided 100% by the community - we'll make a "short list" of 10-20 titles that are available to us, and you will decide by your votes which we do. The entire purpose of Riff Raff Theater is to apply the power of the mob to riffing. We'll also be applying all of the "How NOT to do this" that we've learned from before. In addition, we're going to be doing more frequent riffs, offering prizes for contributing writers, and most exciting for me, we've signed an agreement with a local theater here in Iowa to start doing live shows in February.

Before I wrap this up and open the thread to questions, I do want to state up front that RiffTrax has been fantastic throughout this entire process, and we're planning to be first in line when RiffTrax opens the door for fan riffs to exist on the website. We have been in regular communication with RiffTrax about their plans for fan riffing, as well as our project in particular. We even ran the name by them before making a final decision on what to call ourselves. This announcement comes at kind of an awkward moment with the whole mini-drama over Harry Potter and the timing thereof, but I respect Mike and the rest of the RiffTrax crew too much to believe it's anything other than a funky coincidence.

Other things I should throw out now: Yes, Tron will be next along with one other film yet to be announced. No, riffs will not take 5 months to complete, we hope to have the time between title announcement and release down to 6 weeks, and hopefully at least one new riff every month (yes, that means we will be working on more than one riff at a time, but at different stages of production). The official members of the team at this point are me (head writer, performer), Chaos (writer, general techno-geek guy), Junkyard (writer), and the members of Comics in Action, the local group of performers who will be doing the recordings and live shows with me.

Riff Raff Theater: it's like a lynch mob, with popcorn.

http://www.riffrafftheater.com
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:07:03 PM by ChrisHanel »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 05:37:10 PM »
just in case anyone actually wants to download the cover:

Ortega?

You may want to make a slight change there...

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 06:18:59 PM »
I sit just my speakers, or is the clarity of the sound quite bad? Is anyone else noticing this?

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 06:19:49 PM »
Begining to watch the Riff, and waiting for feedback on the Riffraffers with bated breath.

MontyServo

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 06:20:45 PM »
I sit just my speakers, or is the clarity of the sound quite bad? Is anyone else noticing this?

The sound is a bit off, the louder the riffers speak it seems it gets more distorted and hard to understand.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 06:38:43 PM »
Yeah, we didn't have the best recording equipment for the first run-through. Chris has better stuff (and software, too) now, so we shouldn't have that problem in the future.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

MontyServo

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 07:11:04 PM »
I had to give up watching it after about an hour.  The sound problems were making it very hard to understand what the riffers were saying, and sometimes they were speaking so fast that it was also hard to understand.

At first I didn't like the riffer's voices, but as I grew used to them it didn't bother me too much.

On the plus side, the movie and riff were in sync from the beginning and stayed that way until I turned it off.

I will say that it was a good first effort, and if you can get the audio problems sorted out the next one should be great.

Some LOL riffs:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 07:45:36 PM »
I thought it was great! Please, everyone, give it a shot!

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 08:03:57 PM »
I didn't hear the jokes for about 30 seconds after the comment about the suggestion to smack Querell's head against the wall. Belly laughs. Best use of a spoiler EVER.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 08:20:22 PM »
I had trouble with the sound (and from the forum feedback, it aparently wasn't my speakers), but I finished the Riff. Very good overall. I think if I could have uderstood all of them, it would have been even better.

Gotta give credit for going as far as you did on some of them. "What keeps poking me in the back? That had better be a wand back there." Wow.

Also, good work sounding like Mike Kevin and Bill in the reactionary comments. You guys definitely know your Rifftrax.

anais.jude

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 08:45:47 PM »
i thought it was awesome. def som LOL moments there! I will cherish it in my collection!

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 09:06:49 PM »
Finished it. It was worth the wait, by my opinion. Meanwhile i know just enough about Harry Potter to get that "Avada Kedavra!" crack. Hilarious.

On a side note, I imagine that, by virtue of the riffers's compulsions and the fact that the concept is open submission, I think we might need to abandon any idea of keeping the scripts within a certain rating. Not sure what arguments Chris might make for or against, but I DO know for a fact that he's the projenitor of the suggestion that Harry had a wet dream about horses, so....

anais.jude

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 09:27:35 PM »
not sure what arguments Chris might make for or against, but I DO know for a fact that he's the projenitor of the suggestion that Harry had a wet dream about horses, so....

i LOVED those refferences! thank you gregmcduck!

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
I had to give up watching it after about an hour.  The sound problems were making it very hard to understand what the riffers were saying, and sometimes they were speaking so fast that it was also hard to understand.

Grr... yeah, if you've been following the Harry Potter thread, we know how unhappy I've been with the recording quality. It's not the mix itself, it's the levels that I had set when we recorded everything. We constantly red-lined and when the source audio is bad, it's not within my ability to "save" it.

Between starting this process and now, I've become much more adept with the mixer and updated to all new software, which I used recently for another audio project in which the sound editor exclaimed, "I wish everyone turned in audio as high quality as yours." So, yeah, it's going to get better. Have patience.

Though--what happened to the "Those are Jews, Harry" joke? That one killed me.  Just too racy (pun intended)?

Yeah. When we recorded it, Brian delivered the line. The fact that he's half-Jewish tames it down, but the listener doesn't know that, and after going back and forth on it, I removed it. It was actually the very last tweak I made before publishing the final mp3-- even after laying down sync lines. Removing it actually helps the following joke because you hear Hagrid's entire line before the David Bowie mention, and it makes more sense.

I'm not really worried about it being gone, overall-- there are so many other jokes we're going to hell for anyways.

I think we might need to abandon any idea of keeping the scripts within a certain rating. Not sure what arguments Chris might make for or against, but I DO know for a fact that he's the projenitor of the suggestion that Harry had a wet dream about horses, so....

Due to the need to make our live shows more family friendly, scripts that get the dual use of mp3 download *and* live show will be PG-13, maximum. Tracks produced without the intention of being performed live might not have that restriction.

My instinct is to just always accept whatever jokes you send, and then we'll make the decision over what's too much and what's okay during the script editing process. That way we're not trying to censor writers from sending in what may be better material.