Author Topic: Round Table Riff: Harry Potter RELEASED  (Read 23591 times)

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
Re: Round Table Riff: Harry Potter RELEASED
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 08:12:20 AM »
It's somewhat funny, but regarding point 3, while I did find a few places were too packed, having read the full script, I couldn't help but admire their restraint.

Well, it's going to be a matter of opinion on what's funny or not of course. I'd have to rewatch it and actually pay attention to / document each riff to give you any specifics (or, alternately, get a copy of the script), but I found jokes here and there that I sort of thought "hmm. I can see where you came up with that. It's a valid comment to make about that bit certainly. Not a bad comment, really. it's just... 'eh', as a joke to me". Not that I'm claiming I can do "oh so much better" or anything.

Anyway, like I said in the beginning, it was generic advice for future releases. Something to keep in mind is all. I wrote it simply to remind you all to keep pushing for quality, in a similar way your coach in <insert sport here> reminds you to 'keep your eye on the <sport object>' and you do, most of the time, but hey you're only human and not every play goes as planned. No biggy.

I had a 20 minute response written up, Jinto, but my browser just crashed and I lost it. So for now I'll just say thanks for your feedback... we appreciate you taking the time to put your thoughts together so thoroughly and share them with us. You've got some points that I'd like to address.

More later when I have time to remember what the heck I wrote the first time, and write up another response. :)

Sometimes, when I know I'll be writing a long post, I'll just do it in a simple text editor like notepad, just to avoid situations like that, heh.

As for putting thoughts together thoroughly, I think you're a hippie on pot if you think that long-winded mess was intelligible, because I can ramble like a drunk trying to explain myself at times.

Here's the Cliff Notes version of my post for you lazy readers:
1. Don't string riffs together in a constant barrage.
2. Avoid 7th grade (and below) humor.. wait, I forgot how kids are these days. Avoid high-school or below humor.
3. Don't feel a need to insert a joke that seems sub-par to you, just because you don't have anything else to put in that time slot, and you're thinking to yourselves that maybe you've let the movie go too long without uttering a riff.

It's amazing what sleep can do to your concizing skills. (I can even make up new words. Aren't I talented?)

:P

P.S. - And yes, this is advice I'd give to Rifftrax proper too. While more practiced at this (obviously), even they, at times, go too low-brow on the jokes (for my personal tastes), talk a bit too much over the movie, etc.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 08:26:32 AM by Jinto »

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2007, 10:16:28 AM »
So are you also going to make a readme file with the sync lines' time codes?

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2007, 11:41:13 AM »
I'll have one out later today.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2007, 03:09:40 PM »
I hope my Harry Potter DVD arives soon.   Now I have TWO RIFFs to listen too.   

This means I have to see the movie twice  :angry:

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2007, 03:12:15 PM »
Mike did approximately the same Mime joke as I did, but it was mostly unavoidable.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2007, 04:30:25 PM »
Watched this last night and I was very entertained.  Well done on the project, what's most impressive to me is with a handful of exceptions it still felt like the riffs were coming straight from the riffers, not the multiple contributers you had, and that really is the effect you want.  Good stuff all around, now I get to watch it again with Mike, yay!
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2007, 04:52:37 PM »
I watched the first hour and a half last night and wanted to post my thoughts. 

1.  The audio problems left something to be desired with the one riffer and I couldn't understand a lot of what was being said.   Any chance you could post the script somewhere or email it to me.(I didn't read through the other thread to see if this had been done yet or not)  I'd hate to miss out on some good jokes simply because they weren't recorded all that well.   And I'm not sure if this has been removed or not but I'm really curious who wrote what joke.  Some of you are pretty funny bastards and I want to know who. 

2.  In response to what Jinto was saying about the riffs being on top of each other.  I was pretty sure that this was going to be the case just because the number of contributors was so high.  I don't think this would be a problem if you could all watch the movie together, but it's impossible with how spread out the writers are. 

3.  I guessed on where the omitted "Jew" line was and said it out loud for my fiance and then told her you took it out.  She laughed really hard and said you should have left it in.  (She's one of the most PC people I know and still laughed)   In the future if you are worried about something being over a decency line, if you think it's funny, leave it in and have another riffer call him out on it. 

Looking forward to the last hour. 

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2007, 05:15:12 PM »
Any chance you could post the script somewhere or email it to me.(I didn't read through the other thread to see if this had been done yet or not)  I'd hate to miss out on some good jokes simply because they weren't recorded all that well.   And I'm not sure if this has been removed or not but I'm really curious who wrote what joke.  Some of you are pretty funny bastards and I want to know who.

Here ya go:

http://www.pop-arena.com/hpr.html

Anything you don't see specifically called out in the script was probably improv'ed by Chris and his cohorts.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:17:29 PM by Steve-O »

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2007, 05:48:24 PM »
Any chance you could post the script somewhere or email it to me.(I didn't read through the other thread to see if this had been done yet or not)  I'd hate to miss out on some good jokes simply because they weren't recorded all that well.   And I'm not sure if this has been removed or not but I'm really curious who wrote what joke.  Some of you are pretty funny bastards and I want to know who.

Here ya go:

Anything you don't see specifically called out in the script was probably improv'ed by Chris and his cohorts.

Thanks Steve-O

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3791
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2007, 05:51:28 PM »

So.. none of the other contributers got their 'mugs' posted on the DVD cover for credit??
Is this a possible option for the future RoundTable Riffers??

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2007, 06:18:52 PM »
well the pics were the mugs who recorded it.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2007, 07:36:30 PM »
Once Riff Raff Theater is fully online, we'll be adding many options. In addition to giving out prizes for contributions, we'll also be having contests, and we're definitely going to have ways to show recognition to our contributors. Again, mob power is what we are all about, so we want to do everything we can to encourage you guys to contribute (above and beyond the thrill of hearing someone perform the joke you wrote, as Steve-O, Greg, Katie, bryak, and Junkyard can attest to).

We'll have account profiles and forums over on our site as well, and I see no reason why we can't offer the ability to upload a picture of yourself into your profile, and (with an on/off permission in your profile settings) allow that picture to be seen on the contributors page for each release, assuming we can get that to work logistically (we're learning more and more about the recent advances in website coding as we go). Depending on how many contributors end up in any given release, and whether or not we have any DVD cover creators join our community, I could see us offering DVD cover files with an open space for you to paste in your own picture, along with a full list of credited contributors already included, or something like that.

We're hoping to be able to offer some merchandise, too. Everybody loves T-shirts. Except for people with no arms, I guess. :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »
By the way, I linked to the riff on the official Harry Potter Movies Message Board.
http://boards.harrypotter.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?messageID=4125683&tstart=0#4125683

We can see what responses it gets, or if it's just taken off the board. (I'm not sure what their policy on linking is, but I think I put it in the right spot.)

Meanwhile, if the board is suddenly filled with angry Potter fans, I just want to say that I am very sorry, and that Chaos made me do it. (Better you than me, mate!)

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2007, 08:03:40 PM »
Everybody loves T-shirts. Except for people with no arms, I guess. :)

Yes, they tend to prefer I-shirts for some reason.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2007, 05:42:08 AM »
By the way, I linked to the riff on the official Harry Potter Movies Message Board.
http://boards.harrypotter.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?messageID=4125683&tstart=0#4125683

We can see what responses it gets, or if it's just taken off the board. (I'm not sure what their policy on linking is, but I think I put it in the right spot.)

Meanwhile, if the board is suddenly filled with angry Potter fans, I just want to say that I am very sorry, and that Chaos made me do it. (Better you than me, mate!)

Apparently you have to register with a valid email address and agree to receive regular SPAM from Warner Brothers to even VIEW their forums... so I'll just have to take someone else's word on how the reaction is over there. :p
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton