Author Topic: Round Table Riff: Harry Potter RELEASED  (Read 23424 times)

Offline bryak

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • Gotta-go-bye
Re: Round Table Riff: Harry Potter RELEASED
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 01:09:29 AM »
Looks like my evening will be spent in PALification.

Awesome job!  I cannot wait to hear the final product once it finishes downloading in 3 weeks.  ;D
In my post-apocalyptic Utopia, all laws will be in the form of easily remembered rhymes and chants.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 05:02:41 AM »
Just a thought- Would it be tasteful to link to the riff from the Harry Potter part of the message board, when it comes up tomorrow?

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 05:34:21 AM »
Hey guys,

bryak: we will be releasing a PAL version "soon." That's not soon as in EverQuest patch soon, that's soon as in hopefully within 1 week. Also, I want to thank you again for your submissions to the script, they went over very well during the chatroom viewing last night.

Junkyard: my instinct says it would be in bad taste to post a message in the Harry Potter RiffTrax thread/forum pointing back to here. We've already made the people who read the boards aware that ours is out, I don't think we should be pushy. If someone from staff chooses to point it out, that is fine, but I don't think it's our right to push into their territory and say, "We have a riff of this, too."

Oh, and regarding script submissions, I agree completely with Chris. I'm much more inclined to accept all submissions as is, regardless of content, to give us the original material to work with... as long as everybody understands that we *may* have to end up editing it down at our discretion due to content, depending on the circumstances. Once the site is fully online and we're chugging along at our normal pace, we'll be sure to include content ratings for the tracks so you will know whether or not they are young child appropriate material (though obviously they would not be official ESRB ratings, since they don't recognize audio commentary tracks as a valid medium... our ratings would just be a self-imposed guideline).
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 05:39:13 AM »
And now, for something completely different (only not).

Somewhere along the way of editing the Harry Potter riff (probably after the first feedback was starting to come in from the 40 minute rough cut I posted a while back), the gears started spinning around in my head. The concept that we were producing here deserved more than a pat on the head and an "awww, look at the cute widdle fans" sympathy clap. This was definitely succeeding at entertaining people. It also happened to coincide with something that I've been trying to set up in my hometown. And so, phone calls were made and handshakes were given, and now, we have a little operation on our hands.

I am pleased to announce the creation of a new fan riffing project called Riff Raff Theater. We plan to operate much the same as we already have: a title is chosen, we will write a script, community people submit their own scripts or single lines, those scripts are edited into one final draft, and the draft is given to professional performers, who knock out the final audio. As far as how we choose the titles, some will be chosen by us, and others will be decided 100% by the community - we'll make a "short list" of 10-20 titles that are available to us, and you will decide by your votes which we do. The entire purpose of Riff Raff Theater is to apply the power of the mob to riffing. We'll also be applying all of the "How NOT to do this" that we've learned from before. In addition, we're going to be doing more frequent riffs, offering prizes for contributing writers, and most exciting for me, we've signed an agreement with a local theater here in Iowa to start doing live shows in February.

Before I wrap this up and open the thread to questions, I do want to state up front that RiffTrax has been fantastic throughout this entire process, and we're planning to be first in line when RiffTrax opens the door for fan riffs to exist on the website. We have been in regular communication with RiffTrax about their plans for fan riffing, as well as our project in particular. We even ran the name by them before making a final decision on what to call ourselves. This announcement comes at kind of an awkward moment with the whole mini-drama over Harry Potter and the timing thereof, but I respect Mike and the rest of the RiffTrax crew too much to believe it's anything other than a funky coincidence.

Other things I should throw out now: Yes, Tron will be next along with one other film yet to be announced. No, riffs will not take 5 months to complete, we hope to have the time between title announcement and release down to 6 weeks, and hopefully at least one new riff every month (yes, that means we will be working on more than one riff at a time, but at different stages of production). The official members of the team at this point are me (head writer, performer), Chaos (writer, general techno-geek guy), Junkyard (writer), and the members of Comics in Action, the local group of performers who will be doing the recordings and live shows with me.

Riff Raff Theater: it's like a lynch mob, with popcorn.

http://www.riffrafftheater.com

Well it THIS ain't the coolest thing!     Just signed up for the updates.

Looking forward to this.   

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 06:16:56 AM »
... and thank you for your support.

[yt=425,350]w3LkWVqYecE[/yt]

;D
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 06:26:59 AM »
... and thank you for your support.

[yt=425,350]w3LkWVqYecE[/yt]

;D

AND you will be mailing me wine coolers too?    Man, you guys are the best.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3740
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 06:27:48 AM »
 :D :D
 :clap: :clap:
Those Commercials were CLASSICS!!!

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 07:32:38 AM »
The "law" might get upset if we started sending out booze in the mail. But we'll keep it in mind as a possibility. :D

Hmm... now I need to find a place in one of the scripts for a Bartles and Jaymes joke. ;)

Offline nightsystem

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • mike j nelson rocks
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 09:18:12 AM »
Awsome I am so going to be there

hahah hope my roomate still has the copy of the harry potter movie in his closet

if not i am going to be sad after i get out of work today.
Leave the Bronx!

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 03:48:49 PM »
ba-dump tsssssh

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 06:11:02 PM »
Sorry, I prefer the onomatopoeia more. It's more satisfying. :D

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 06:16:34 PM »
I await the PAL version.
FINE

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 08:41:36 PM »
A good first release. Well done gang.  :clap:

Now, I offer a few general suggestions on "quality standards" to keep in mind in regards to future releases (aside from anything to do with the technical aspects of sound, which you've obviously already learned a great deal about):

1) I recommend a bit more spacing between riffs. A constant stream isn't quite as good, in my opinion, as letting the movie catch the viewer's attention, then commenting "out of nowhere" on something related to what you've been watching (you know, like you might when you and friends are casually watching a not-so-great movie together. It would seem more natural as well.). The riffs in harry potter, while generally good, seemed strung together so much in certain instances that I found myself unable to concentrate on the movie at times. If you think about it, this weakens the effectiveness of a riff, because you didn't see or hear what just occurred on screen and so miss the full effect of the riff. Now, granted, if you've seen the movie before you'll likely still catch it, but I don't see that as a reason not to riff in a manner that assumes the viewer has NOT seen the movie. Sure, you won't get to cover every possible opportunity for a joke, but that's just how it goes. You have to draw the line somewhere for the sake of overall quality.

2) In the admitted spirit of snobbishness, I also generally recommend avoiding juvenile humor whenever possible. Juvenile humor, the likes of fart/other-noise jokes, sexual innuendo, etc., are so common, so rarely anything non-obvious, that they are essentially an unimaginative form of comedy in my opinion. I see that as the 'easy (and low) road' in comedy that leads to sameness and pandering to the lowest common denominator. In order to maintain a reputation for above-average quality riffs, I believe it important to encourage as much creativity as possible. Think about it this way. We're all here to make fun of movies and tv shows and such right? And what is one of the major complaints we have about Hollywood? That it panders to the lowest common denominator when creating content, and thus passes on attempts to create something great, just because grandma or some unimportant neilson rating family decides this unique show won't make the broadcaster as much money as this other, generic show. Well, what is juvenile humor other than pandering to a low common denominator? I say to you brothers and sisters (Martin Luthor King voice) "I have a dream, in which we all raise the bar! In which we raise the standards by which we live and view entertainment". OK, so I'm over the top now, but I hope I've gotten my point across.

3) In relation to points number 1 and 2, and in addition to the edit job you guys already do in sifting through riff submissions to choose which ones to use, remember that you don't necessarily need to fill in a slot of time with a riff at all, even if a riff for that time slot exists in one or more of the submissions you recieve. Allow yourselves to "let go" of a time slot in the movie in which no exceptional riffs make the cut. Don't feel you have to accept sub-par riffs just to fill in the riff-silence. It's not that anyone expects perfection in every moment, because that's impossible anyway, and far too high-strung. I'm really just saying "Go easy, don't try to force a joke into the moment that doesn't cut it, and generally tweak your filters up a notch or two."

Again, though, good job on Harry Potter. I don't mean by these three suggestions to imply your riff was bad. It's no 10 out of 10, but neither is every official Rifftrax (most aren't, in fact, as that implies absolute perfection), and not all of yours will be either of course. But that's alright, because "above average" is all we need to be happy I think. :)

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 04:57:56 AM »
It's somewhat funny, but regarding point 3, while I did find a few places were too packed, having read the full script, I couldn't help but admire their restraint.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 06:17:08 AM »
I had a 20 minute response written up, Jinto, but my browser just crashed and I lost it. So for now I'll just say thanks for your feedback... we appreciate you taking the time to put your thoughts together so thoroughly and share them with us. You've got some points that I'd like to address.

More later when I have time to remember what the heck I wrote the first time, and write up another response. :)