login

Author Topic: A few questions about the PS3.  (Read 2041 times)

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
A few questions about the PS3.
« on: November 19, 2007, 08:22:36 PM »
Alright, I have a few questions for those of you with some in-depth knowledge of PS3's. My brother's girlfriend is on her way to buy a 40GB PS3 for my brother as a Christmas present and had a few questions to make the appropriate upgrades to it for him before the holidays are here.

1. Will I be able to use any standard SATA II hard drive to replace the 40GB hard drive? I told her not to get him the 80GB model because I've been told numerous times you can install your own hard drive into it. How large of a drive am I able to install in this, do they have a maximum capacity?

2. Are there any adapters that are able to transfer all the saved information off the PS2 memory cards and store them onto the PS3? If so where do I go to get everything I need to do this.

3. Anything else I need to get make sure he'll get full enjoyment out of this? I'm gonna download the rebate form for the 5 free Blu-Ray movies some time tonight as well.

4. Any recommendations on games? He's generally into FPS games and not really a sports fan.

Feel free to give me as much input on what to do and get  for this damned thing. I looked around online for the 60GB models before she went off to get the 40GB because I heard there was no backwards compatibility issues whatsoever with those but it seems everyone is out of those now. If my brother somehow joined up the forums and read all of this I'm warning you right now that I'll kick your ass till you forget what I have written.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: A few questions about the PS3.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »
I'll answer with my moderate depth of PS3 knowledge!

1. Will I be able to use any standard SATA II hard drive to replace the 40GB hard drive? I told her not to get him the 80GB model because I've been told numerous times you can install your own hard drive into it. How large of a drive am I able to install in this, do they have a maximum capacity?
Yep. You can buy standard off the rack HD to install on the PS3.  Having not done so yet, I can't tell you the process though. As for maximum size, as far as I know, ther'e no limit. But I probably wouldn't put a TB sized one in there. Thankfully, a 40GB drive will last quite a while, even downloading demos like mad, so you'll have some time before needing to upgrade.

2. Are there any adapters that are able to transfer all the saved information off the PS2 memory cards and store them onto the PS3? If so where do I go to get everything I need to do this.

Yes. Go over here for the model needed. Just plug one end into the USB cord that connects the normal controller and put the memory card in the other end, then copy yo the HD and you're good to go.

3. Anything else I need to get make sure he'll get full enjoyment out of this? I'm gonna download the rebate form for the 5 free Blu-Ray movies some time tonight as well.

Well, games are usually a good idea.... Also, you may need a HDMI cable if attaching it to a HDTV. But I'll let someone who actually owns one talk about that.

4. Any recommendations on games? He's generally into FPS games and not really a sports fan.

Right now, the biggies for the PS3 are:
Resistance (A FPS, generally regarded as pretty good.)
Heavenly Sword (Action game, very pretty, rather fun, only 6 hours long)
Ratchet & Clank (Heard absolutely no bad things about this one.)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (A Tomb Raider-ish game. Literally just came out.)
Eye of Judgement (A CCG played with the PS3's camera. Not quite to everyone's taste, but fun.)
Call of Duty 4 (Haven't played it, but people raved about the 360 version)
And of course, Rock Band and/or Guitar Hero III.

Feel free to give me as much input on what to do and get  for this damned thing. I looked around online for the 60GB models before she went off to get the 40GB because I heard there was no backwards compatibility issues whatsoever with those but it seems everyone is out of those now. If my brother somehow joined up the forums and read all of this I'm warning you right now that I'll kick your ass till you forget what I have written.

Well, keep in mind the 40 GB version is completely non-backwards compatible. You can only play the PS3 stuff on it. (Well, and PS1 stuff too, but I don't think many people are looking to play those on the PS3.) If he's got a large PS2 library and you can't find the 60 GB (which is ideal), then try and grab the 80 gig model, which does have software enabled backwards compatability.

Oh, and try Target or Best Buy for a 60 gig. They may be sold out online, but you may find one still on their sales floor.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:47:36 AM »
What he said. The 40 gig model is incapable of playing PS2 games. That's how they got the price down, they removed the good hardware from it. Do whatever it takes to find the 60 gig version, as it has hardware based PS2 emulation (much faster and cleaner than the 80 gig version's software emulation). The 60 gig version also handles the upscaling of the graphics better from what I have heard in some reports (again because of the hardware conversion vs. software).

Check overstock.com to see if they still have them in stock (you may even luck into a discount), also amazon.com. You could also try Wal-Mart in addition to Target and Best Buy. Circuit City and Fry's are also options if you have the large-sized stores in your area (the tiny mall-sized Circuit City probably won't have them, but the giant stand-alone branches might).
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline the long undertow

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 07:22:26 AM »
Just to emphasize this:  the 40gb PS3 has NO backward compatability, so being able to transfer PS2 save files becomes irrelevant.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 09:31:44 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone. I told her to take the 40GB model back and looked around for a 60GB model but haven't found one yet. I think she'll end up just getting an 80GB. I'd never heard the 40GB didn't have backwards compatibility, that's freaking ridiculous.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 742
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 12:48:50 PM »
The 40gb doesn't even have software emulation?
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 12:55:12 PM »
The 40gb doesn't even have software emulation?

I have a feeling Sony will have a lot of returned 40gig PS3s for this lack of backwards compatability. I'm sure it says it on the box, but most people won't even notice.

Offline the long undertow

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 12:58:27 PM »
It's pretty ridiculous.  The 40gb was what almost convinced me to go with a ps3, but the lack of any backwards compatability at all made me mad.  It seemed like a price drop, when it was really just feature trimming.

The 40gb is alright if you don't care about ps2 games.  Otherwise, go with the 60gb.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 742
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 01:14:30 PM »
Personally I don't really care about backwards compatibility. Back in the day when the Super Nintendo came out, everyone bitched and bitched about it not being able to play NES tapes and Nintendo's answer was "Connect Them Together!"  We had buttons and flyers on how to daisy chain the RF switches.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 01:17:13 PM »
Nah, my brother has one metric shit ton of PS2 games and I'm sure he'd like to be able to use one console for all his PS, PS2, and PS3 games. I figured the only reason there was a price difference between the 40GB and the 80GB was more hard drive space. Losing backwards compatibility is a stupid play on the part of Sony and will make quite a few people unhappy hopefully before they buy the 40GB and not after.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 01:23:42 PM »
Personally I don't really care about backwards compatibility. Back in the day when the Super Nintendo came out, everyone bitched and bitched about it not being able to play NES tapes and Nintendo's answer was "Connect Them Together!"  We had buttons and flyers on how to daisy chain the RF switches.
Yeah but the NES and SNES had different cartridge sizes. These are all discs and you'd think they would be a little accomodating since the PS2 was praised back around it's release for it's backwards compatibility with PS games. I'm still pissed at XBox for they're lack of backwards compatibility with the 360's and some of the original XBox games, I'd rather put my original XBox back in it's box and play everything on one console, Backwards compatibility was one of the reasons I got the 360 and I feel a bit slighted.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 02:47:55 PM »
I'm still holding out for some Taiwan company to break a metric buttload of copyright laws and produce a specially designed console that will run games from any system using software emulation without losing any quality, for $100. You'll have to order it online and it won't be available for long before they get shut down, but you know sooner or later someone is going to do it. :P
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »
I'm still holding out for some Taiwan company to break a metric buttload of copyright laws and produce a specially designed console that will run games from any system using software emulation without losing any quality, for $100. You'll have to order it online and it won't be available for long before they get shut down, but you know sooner or later someone is going to do it. :P
Yeah pm me a link the day you see that, heh.