login

Author Topic: OK. Let's talk Lord of the Rings  (Read 6521 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
OK. Let's talk Lord of the Rings
« on: October 30, 2006, 04:17:18 PM »
I know there isn't a Lord of the Rings Rifftrax, (And I'll add a hopeful "Yet" here) but since this discussion is invading and slowly dethroning the also-cool Episode 1 discussion, I'm going to make a thread so the Tolkienites can keep the debate going. :^)

I personally think Peter Jackson did a tremendous service for Lord of the Rings. The problem with Tolkien (Hold your fire everyone!) is that he was extremely long-winded. I've dabbled in his writings and I've known all along he was telling a wonderful story, but when you get into the third or forth page of Hobbit tea ceremony outlines, the story starts to lose you. It's a wonderful universe, he's created, and, as a writer, I hope to someday create a universe as vivid, but I couldn't make it through his writing.

Along comes the movies which, through excellent and comeptent direction and acting manages to encapsulate the LOTR books. Now with encapsulation comes sacrifice, and seeing as how they run at 3 hours a pop as-is, I know as I watch that I'm not getting the whole story, but I'm getting enough of the story to understand why it is that so many have vested their time and energy into getting to know middle-earth.

Now I'm not anti-literate by any means. As I mentioned, I'm a writer, and I do a lot of reading as a result, but when certain authors become too bogged down in details, the story starts to suffer. Peter Jackson knew what to cut and how to cut it to tell a beautiful story. And that's what film-making is all about.

Offline Mr`Death

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
    • My LA-based comedy theater
Re: OK. Let's talk Lord of the Rings
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 04:22:30 PM »
The LotR series doesn't seem that great as riff fodder to me, but maybe I'm nuts. Seems maybe a bit too serious. I guess that's something to make fun of, though. Phantom Menace was very campy and had very very bad elements. I never got anything but a rather somber feeling from the LotR movies.
Most misleading product name ever: urinal CAKES.

MontyServo

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 04:23:48 PM »
One of these days I'm gonna have to sit down and watch the movies again.  I've only seen the first two, but had a hard time following what was going on.  I'm sure they are great movies, and I don't know why I didn't care for them.  I just could not get into them.

I'm not trolling here or trying to flame.  I understand that there are a lot of people that cherish these films and books, and that is cool.  I just don't get it.  I guess it's not my cup of tea.   :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 04:27:51 PM by MontyServo »

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 04:39:33 PM »
I really really don't want an LOTR Rifftrax (sorry, Pak-Man). I didn't mind riffs of X-Men and The Matrix, which I sorta kinda liked, but I don't want any of movies I love. I'd never again be able to watch them without the riffs in my head, so I'd have to skip that Rifftrax altogether.

But that's just me.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 07:18:04 PM »
Overall, I like what Jackson and Co. did with Lord Of The Rings.

I have only read the books through once, so it is necessary for me to read them all again before I can begin to make comments on the transition between books and films.

Some good points of the trilogy:

I like the first one the best. All the locations are beautiful, especially the hills near the falls where Aragorn battles the swarming hoarde of Uruk-Hai.

The opening to The Two Towers was so perfect. The music slowly building up as the camera flies above the mountains... it brings a tear to my eye. And of course, Gollum rules over all you feeble worms!

I loved the look King Theoden gives Wormtongue once he comes out of his spell and holds up his sword. "It's ass kicking time!!"   ;D

Return of the King had some amazing fight scenes, and the whole excursion of Frodo and Sam in the Ork tower was just awesome. I loved the fight between the Orks and Uruk-Hai!

A few bad points:

I hated the Elf theme music. Its worst incarnation was during the battle of Helm's Deep, when the Elf warriors arrive. It just grated my insides, kinda like when I hear very southern Country Music, complete with twangy slide guitar...  :-X UGH!

Although the forced perspective was nicely done, I just wasn't completely convinced that the Hobbits were all that shorter than humans. I guess it was the camera angles that kept things geared towards the Hobbits point of view...  I just would have liked a few good camera shots that really put them into perspective as a race of beings barely over 3 foot tall. Maybe I'm just too nit-picky.

It was just so damn LONG!!!!

Offline shortstack

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • There's no coffee in Nilbog.It's the devil's drink
    • Nerd is the Word
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 07:20:28 PM »
I like the movies, but I also like the books...I never really found them all that hard to read.  I'm also a writer.  As a writer, I recognize that some authors are harder to read than others, but it's often worth it to try. (and I usually take it as a challenge)

As well-done as the movies are, they don't completely capture Tolkien's storytelling style, and I'm sure no movie ever could- that's the beauty of the form, after all.  As verbose as Tolkien is, there's a certain beauty in the telling of it that you're only going to get from him. :)

So basically what I'm saying is he's worth a shot.  Failing that, try the Adventures of Tom Bombadil (an amusing character strategically removed from the FOTR), it's a hoot.
"I have no sense of decency...that way my other senses are enhanced."

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 07:40:14 PM »
I love the Lord of the Rings movies but I am sure Mike, Bill, and Kevin could tackle it. Make it funny and make it so it doesn't piss off too many people unless your a LOTRfanboy.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 08:04:48 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of the books.  I agree with you, Pak, Tolkein is definitely long-winded.  I can remember trying to get through the books in jr. high and having a hell of a time with them.  It took me three further tries to get past chapter 7 of Fellowship.  Finally I just skipped over a bunch of the introductory stuff and picked up with Frodo and Co. getting to the Prancing Pony, and things picked up a bit, but still...it was a long, arduous trek through the rest of the books. 

I think Jackson et al did a fantastic job translating the books to the screen.  Return of the King deserved the buttload of Academy Awards it won for the whole series.  I think the theatrical cut of Fellowship of the Ring is probably my favorite, and I really enjoyed the experience of seeing the movies in the theater, and they're good for a rainy afternoon. 

At the same time, if Rifftrax riffed this, are you kidding?  I'd be all over that.  I'd host a Rifftrax party for it.  Sometimes the things that are the most sacred to a lot of people are the most fun to poke fun at.  If Kevin Tighe's expressions toward Patrick Swayze in Road House make for good riffing material, I can only imagine what the looks between Frodo and Sam, or Frodo and Aragorn, or Merry and Pippin, or Boromir and Aragorn, or Merry, Pippin, and Boromir, or Legolas and anyone and anything, would provoke.       

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 08:15:34 PM »
Ima LOTR fanboy, I read the books at least once a year.  To me, they are sacred, so of course MIke and Kevin will make fun of them, eventually.

I talked about movies that take themselves too seriously in another post, (about The Matrix) and I must say they are no movies that take themselves more seriously than the LoTR movies.

All's I'm saying...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 08:27:32 PM »
Ima LOTR fanboy, I read the books at least once a year.  To me, they are sacred, so of course MIke and Kevin will make fun of them, eventually.

I talked about movies that take themselves too seriously in another post, (about The Matrix) and I must say they are no movies that take themselves more seriously than the LoTR movies.

All's I'm saying...

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being a fanboy. I read the books all the time and love the movies. But when you can't take a joke about something like a book or a movie and become so angry and mean when some one does make a joke about that book or movie....that is BAD.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 09:23:02 PM »

All's I'm saying...

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being a fanboy. I read the books all the time and love the movies. But when you can't take a joke about something like a book or a movie and become so angry and mean when some one does make a joke about that book or movie....that is BAD.

That's what I'm sayin'.... I agree with you.  Even tho' I think that the LoTR movies/books are sacred, but I think they would still be ripe for riffing...

Alll's I'm saying....
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline darthvedder81

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 12:27:58 AM »
Any movie, fantasy or otherwise, that has even a modicum of earnestness to it is going to be ripe for riffing on. If it's just a "bad" movie it isn't enough and that's exactly why Mike and friends took on "X-Men", "The Matrix", "Phantom Menace" and the like. I would think LOTR would fall right in there. Mike has already his expressed his love for Tolkien so that might withhold him from riffing on the movies. I hope not though. It'd be nice to see all the worlds of fandom get their due "riffing".

MN doesn't care much for the Matrix, Star Wars, and X-Men franchises so that probably explains why they have been riffed already.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 06:03:01 AM »
After muscling my way through the Silmarillion, I feel like I deserve a LOTR RiffTrak, but I know we'll never get it. But 'twould be sweet. There was many a night I woke and realized I'd been dreaming in Elvish. Yikes.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 06:27:53 AM »
I'm a writer too...I write things on the internet. Does that count?  ;)

Anyway, I have read "the books" and watched the theatrical presentation and the extended 2 disc set. And as many have pointed out, Jackson and crew have done a fab job.

It did take a bit of effort to sit through the movies due to the length, and I'm concerned about riffing such a lengthy movie and if it would make the rifftrax less "magical" near the end. Maybe the 2 disc set would work, so you can have a break after 2 hours and when you start back up you'd be able to sync it easier. I would also wonder what kind of file size you'd get for this length of movie?

As you can see, my concerns are  more technical in nature. I don't have a problem with Mike and crew riffing LOTR. I just wonder about all the other stuff.

Offline labeth

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Random Chiiears
    • Sleepy Slug Winamp Skins
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 07:11:49 AM »
I think that Peter Jackson did a great job, but after the first viewing in the theaters, my friends and I couldn't help but riff on them, and those riffs have become long-running jokes at this point. (The principal one being "I never thought I'd die standing next to an elf." -- "I'm an elf!")

So, in light of that, I'd have to say that I think the trilogy would be great fodder for riffing.
A wizard did it.