Author Topic: If the RiffTrax DVD Player doesn't work for you... read this.  (Read 46282 times)

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
If the RiffTrax DVD Player doesn't work for you... read this.
« on: November 13, 2007, 02:07:29 PM »
Use the correct RiffTrax file:

The RiffTrax player only works with the new RIFF files... not the MP3 versions.  If you don't have the RIFF file, check your downloads & order history at http://www.rifftrax.com/ and you should be able to download one for every RiffTrax you've previously purchased.  There is no additional charge.

If there is no audio and/or video:

Download the codec pack from the following website:

http://www.codecguide.com/

Alternate methods that work for some people:

Download and install the latest version of AC3 Filter.  It's free and will install an audio codec.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ac3filter/

Download and install PowerDVD.  It has a free 30 day trial and will install audio and video codecs.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/download_hotlink.jsp

If the player doesn't work at all and gives an error message related to flash.ocx:

Verify that you have the Flash player ActiveX control for Internet Explorer installed (even if you use Firefox).

Version check:  http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/

Install or upgrade the Flash Player if necessary.

Download: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

If the player still doesn't work:

Uninstall the player then download and re-install.

http://shop.rifftrax.com/rifftrax-player/

Launch the player and install any updates.

If the player still doesn't work:

Create your own topic on this forum.  The software developer monitors this section only.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:05:10 PM by Conor »

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked:
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: If the RiffTrax DVD Player doesn't work for you... read this.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:38:02 PM »
Excellent post. Made sticky.

Also, anyone who does email support, please try to include all the necessary info - What version of Windows you have, anything special about your setup, how much memory you have, etc. etc. Doing so will help us track down other issues.

Although the latest version (1.0.9.9) is logging errors too, so we can better patch bugs as they come up. But if you are going to email us try to keep it short but sweet.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 05:39:38 PM by torgosPizza »

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 09:40:10 AM »
Updated the first post to include info about using RIFF files instead of MP3 files.

Offline valeyard

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
Why should I have to buy (eventually after 30 days) a new dvd playing program just because rifftrax doesn't work?  I already have perfectly fine dvd software (Power Dvd 5.0, WMP, Realplayer, and Intervideo Xpack).  If the dvd will play in those software programs, and still WON'T play on the rifftrax player, then don't tell me I need to buy, er I mean, "download a 30 day trial."  The problem obviously isn't on my system, it is in the rifftrax software.  I really love rifftrax, and I don't wish to sound like a bitchy person on their forum.; but frankly, this really pisses me off.  It isn't a free player, if I have to shell out (after 30 days) to rectify a problem in your software. No thanks!   :grr:
Are you my virgins?  I hope not!

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 03:27:10 PM »
Why should I have to buy (eventually after 30 days) a new dvd playing program just because rifftrax doesn't work?  I already have perfectly fine dvd software (Power Dvd 5.0, WMP, Realplayer, and Intervideo Xpack).  If the dvd will play in those software programs, and still WON'T play on the rifftrax player, then don't tell me I need to buy, er I mean, "download a 30 day trial."  The problem obviously isn't on my system, it is in the rifftrax software.  I really love rifftrax, and I don't wish to sound like a bitchy person on their forum.; but frankly, this really pisses me off.  It isn't a free player, if I have to shell out (after 30 days) to rectify a problem in your software. No thanks!   :grr:

You can immediately get rid of the Power DVD program after you download it, you don't have to keep it even for the free 30 days.  What's important about downloading it is that it comes with the audio and video codecs you need.  Once you have those you can trash Power DVD and move on, no money out of your pocket.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked:
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 03:31:44 PM »
Does this not come with all the codecs you'd need plus not have the player?  http://www.codecguide.com/

Seriously, that's what every group I've ever been on besides this one recommends people get who are having codec issues.  No player and a much a smaller download and nothing to uninstall or pay for.

It's what I always use.  I've never had PowerDVD recommended as a codec fix. 

*I actually like this site better, even though it's not the official site, to me it's easier to read:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 03:46:58 PM by AmandaGal »
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline bsandrew

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
    • Legend Films, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 03:31:53 PM »

Thanks Roninfox... you're absolutely right.

No one has to buy anything to use The RiffTrax Player.  The various DVD players typically come with standard codecs that some people don;t have on their machines and the easiest way to access them is via a download.   With the players you have, you should have all you need.  I suggest using the DVD setup in the RiffTrax Player where you can see what codecs you have and you can also find out the characteristics of each codec.  Try different codecs to see which one works for you.  If you do not have codecs recognized by the RiffTrax Player then you need to download some.  By the way, if you want a fantastic DVD player that is FREE you shoud download the AVS DVD Player.  Just Google it and do the download.  It's probably one of the best out there and FREE.

Offline Quicksilver

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Give me your pudding!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 04:14:21 PM »
I've got a different problem. the player doesnt see the DVD. I can be sitting here with the DVD going and it doesnt see it. I've been trying to figure it out, but  I'm at a loss.
The Ood: The Beast and his armies will rise from the pit to make war against God.
Rose: I'm sorry?
The Ood: Apologies. I said: I hope you enjoy your meal.

Offline Heisanevilgenius

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 04:50:30 PM »
I have the same problem as Quicksilver.

I put my DVD in, loaded the Riff file and everything seems to be okay except:
The play button is greyed out and I can't play the DVD. The DVD Screen Menus menu has all options on it greyed out except for "Force DVD Root Menu" which doesn't do anything.

I'm able to play the DVD fine in another player so it's not the DVD or my DVD drive. Could this seriously be that codec problem? I'd think it would at least try to play it, then tell me whether or not I need a codec, but it acts as if I don't have a DVD in there at all. Very strange.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked:
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 06:23:23 PM »
Try the codec fix.  It should help that problem too.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline bsandrew

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
    • Legend Films, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 07:40:47 PM »
Try the codec fix.  It should help that problem too.

If the codec fix doesn't help then I'll need info on your system including the age and make of your DVD player and computer.  Do the graphics play in the RiffTrax player?

Offline Heisanevilgenius

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 08:44:44 PM »
Downloading the codec pack Amanda Gal suggested did the trick. How strange. I was so certain I had all the important codecs already.

Anyway, thanks. It's working like wizardry.

Offline bsandrew

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
    • Legend Films, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 09:02:13 PM »
Downloading the codec pack Amanda Gal suggested did the trick. How strange. I was so certain I had all the important codecs already.

Anyway, thanks. It's working like wizardry.

YEA!!! :clap:(thanks Amanda Gal)

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 05:26:10 AM »
I've changed the initial post to list AmandaGal's suggestion as the primary method of obtaining the required codecs.

Offline Quicksilver

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Give me your pudding!
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 07:42:27 AM »
well, I tried the codec fix.....didnt work. Tried several DVD's. My system is rather old and is a frankencomputer or at least has several personality disorders.
here goes nothing

It's a Dell dimension 4100 997Mhz Pentium III
256Mb of ram
here's the weird part, it thinks it's a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion
because my hard drive failed and I took the hard drive out of my fiance's computer. I assure you it is a dell though, I think
Running Windows XP pro
service pack 2
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX w/TV out
Creative SB Live
SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616

let me know if you need more info

The Ood: The Beast and his armies will rise from the pit to make war against God.
Rose: I'm sorry?
The Ood: Apologies. I said: I hope you enjoy your meal.