Author Topic: Submit Your Lists For List of Crap #118: Top 50 Laurel and Hardy Films!  (Read 943 times)

Online stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 76
Re: Submit Your Lists For List of Crap #118: Top 50 Laurel and Hardy Films!
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2019, 08:53:05 PM »
I'm sorry I had some unfortunate business resulting in hospitalization and heavy sedation.  I feel bad for not coming through on my promise.  Can you synthesize a B list and put my name on it?  I'd opt for heavy slapstick and shock humor rather than the cutesy stuff. I chortle when they casually plow over modern mores like racism, sexism, or child abuse but for a satirical appreciation if that makes sense.

The only way to generate a B list would be from the films you cut from your 25 list. And it sounds like you don't have a 25 list either. For the host to generate a 25 list for someone else, even if picking at random, would be cheating on the part of the host.  Sorry you end up in the hospital. It sounds as if the curse has reversed itself this time and struck a lot of participants.

Online stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2019, 06:44:04 AM »
LAST UPDATE

When lists started coming in yesterday and the total of films submitted reached 49, for a moment there I though maybe I shouldn't have bothered coming up with the B list rule because it looked like there was a pretty good chance the next list would have at least one unique film listed bringing the total to 50 or above.  But as of the deadline I only have 49 films for a 50 film list. Thankfully George-2.0 sent in a partial B list, because no one else did. If I only had my own B list then I would have not felt right being the only one to pick #50, and it would have been a top #49 list. At this point all the math is done and it's too late to submit any list. ( and just in case someone was going by Guam time, I waited until this morning to finalize the lists, just in case some procrastinator sent in a very late list. )  I am currently writing up #50 and #49, so the LoC should be published beginning around noon today.

Here is how the films were scored. Points were given to each film. The #1 on your lists got 25 points, the #25 on your lists got 1 measly point. Basically the math was 26-N=P, with N being the number position on your list and P being the points generated. No point deduction was taken for partial lists. Films on more than one list had their points combined, and from this each got a total score used to rank each film.

TIES
Ties were broken the following way. First, whichever got the highest ranking/score on any submitted list. If that failed to break the tie, then total number of lists would be considered with the one on the most lists being ranked higher. If that failed and a tie had no other mathematical way to be broken, I then went to an old list published by John McCabe back in the early 60s which had rankings picked by Stan Laurel himself. So basically, the late Stan Laurel broke the tie, and the better film in the tie got the higher ranking. I would have liked to have used the B lists to have broken the ties, but there was no unbreakable tie film that was also on any of the B lists, so that wasn't a possibility. 

B LIST
The B lists were added up the same way. Once the ranking was generated, all films that were already among the 49 submitted were removed. This resulted in a further ranking of #19 more films out of which only the #1 ranking film needed to be used.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5683
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2019, 08:02:25 AM »
I had no idea Stan did a ranking himself. I'd like to see that. Do you have a link?

Online stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2019, 03:31:11 PM »
I had no idea Stan did a ranking himself. I'd like to see that. Do you have a link?

It's an old fashioned link called a library. As far as I know the ranking only exist in a couple of books. Basically Stan ranked all of the Laurel and Hardy films from Putting Pants on Phillip to Saps at Sea on a scale from 1 to 4, with some half points. The same rankings were reprinted in another McCabe book using tiny bowler hats. Four bowler hats being a great film, two bowler hats being so-so, and a half bowler hat being a really bad film. Fortunately the ties were broken using that ranking otherwise the next step was to allow for the IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes score.

BTW, sorry for the delay on publishing the LoC. I had everything I was going to post today, plus a little more, uploaded onto another site so I could us my mobile phone to cut and paste the text onto this site while at work. I was all set to begin at 12:00, and then discovered the site I put the text on no longer supports mobile apps. I tried using a work computer, when the boss wasn't looking, and found both this site and the site I left the text on blocked. So I will begin the list as soon as I get home, and from now on use my Yahoo Mail account to store text.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 725
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »

It's an old fashioned link called a library.

Kids these days don't even know how to use index cards :scared:

BTW, sorry for the delay on publishing the LoC. I had everything I was going to post today, plus a little more, uploaded onto another site so I could us my mobile phone to cut and paste the text onto this site while at work. I was all set to begin at 12:00, and then discovered the site I put the text on no longer supports mobile apps. I tried using a work computer, when the boss wasn't looking, and found both this site and the site I left the text on blocked. So I will begin the list as soon as I get home, and from now on use my Yahoo Mail account to store text.

No problem. This should be at the bottom of your list of priorities.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2019, 06:47:37 AM »

It's an old fashioned link called a library. As far as I know the ranking only exist in a couple of books. Basically Stan ranked all of the Laurel and Hardy films from Putting Pants on Phillip to Saps at Sea on a scale from 1 to 4, with some half points.
What is the name of the book?

Online stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2019, 08:09:53 AM »

It's an old fashioned link called a library. As far as I know the ranking only exist in a couple of books. Basically Stan ranked all of the Laurel and Hardy films from Putting Pants on Phillip to Saps at Sea on a scale from 1 to 4, with some half points.
What is the name of the book?

I could have sworn I read the McCabe ratings based on a letter from Stan Laurel in Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy, but I cant find it in the copy I have, so could be in The Comedy World of Stan Laurel which I currently don't own. But I distinctly remember reading the list and how it was compiled, and how Laurel didn't want to rate the FOX era films. The book I used was called Laurel & Hardy which was recently republished for Barnes & Noble as a coffee table book and sold in their discount section. It was written by John McCabe with help from Al Kilgore and Richard W Bann. It had a rating system with the bowler hats  replacing stars/numbers. I have to assume the ratings in that book are identical to the ratings McCabe gave them back in the 50s when he was working with Laurel. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2019, 10:11:15 AM »
Thanks