login

Author Topic: Prequel - A Latin word meaning "Canon Thrown Out Yonder Window"  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Almighty dF

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Prequel - A Latin word meaning "Canon Thrown Out Yonder Window"
« on: November 08, 2007, 02:30:22 AM »
Is it just me or have most prequels completely ruined the canon a movie series has started?
Just look at the Star Wars prequel trilogy and all the flaws it opens up (Obi-Wan met Anakin when he was already a skilled pilot, not when he was a 6 year old kid who tries to hit on 20 year old chicks. ...Which is kinda sick, but hey. At least he's suddenly 5 years older than her by movie two.) And don't forget the upcoming Star Trek prequel.. feating Shaun of the Dead as Scotty and Harold from Harold and Kumar as Sulu.

A general prequel: Someone fathers their own mother, becoming their own granddaughter and winning the war just days before he's even born and twenty years before the war is declared.

What are some other horrible prequels that come to mind? Meaning horrible prequels to a good series, of course a prequel to a bad movie will be bad. Or maybe one of the few good prequels?

An amusing prequel story comes to mind... how two Exorcist prequels came out in the same year, with almost the same plot, and the same leading actor. A technique I'm glad other movie-people haven't tried.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
Re: Prequel - A Latin word meaning "Canon Thrown Out Yonder Window"
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 03:11:53 AM »
not when he was a 6 year old kid who tries to hit on 20 year old chicks. ...Which is kinda sick, but hey.

Not to be a geeky, raging, fanboy purist, but technically, he was nine and she was fourteen.

(Thank you, Weird Al.) :P

Offline Almighty dF

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 03:54:01 AM »
True... but she didn't look 14. She looked 22.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 04:55:58 AM »
True... but she didn't look 14. She looked 22.

That excuse won't stand up in court and it won't stand up here either.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Doctor Who?

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:31:35 AM »
Yes but both her and Anikan's ages where not stated until episode two.

So people like me who didn't read every spin off book assumed that we had just seen a six year old hit on a 22 year old and were creeped out.

How was I supposed to know she was 14?!

Lucas could have told us.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 10:07:45 AM »
Besides, we're supposed to believe that Naboo elected a 14 year old to be "Queen" of their entire freaking planet??

So how old was she when she was taking that Political Science class where she met the guy who became the artist that she had the crush on?  Do you count it in years or months?   ::)

Padme only being 14 in the first movie made sense if she was royalty and inherited the throne young.....but then I guess Lucas couldn't figure out why she'd be away from Naboo and have to be protected by Anakin so he had to make her elected?

Okay, so Lucas didn't really have all this planned out like he claimed (yes, he did) when he made Star Wars....but what the hell was he doing during that time between RotJ and TPE (besides screwing around with Linda Ronstadt and adopting kids like puppies)??

(okay that last bit is probably out of line...  ;) )

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3888
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 01:19:28 PM »
Portman was only 18 when the movie came out...

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 01:28:18 PM »
Portman was only 18 when the movie came out...
And she was 13 when The Professional came out and the difference between the performances is like night and day.

Like someone got to her in between and told her, "You don't have to bother acting...you're pretty.  Besides, it causes wrinkles."

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 02:04:24 PM »
An amusing prequel story comes to mind... how two Exorcist prequels came out in the same year, with almost the same plot, and the same leading actor. A technique I'm glad other movie-people haven't tried.

I haven't seen either film, but I've always planned on doing a double-feature and watching both back to back.  Someday.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)