login

Author Topic: Which version of Phantom Menace will be Rifftraxed?  (Read 5921 times)

Offline Megane67

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Which version of Phantom Menace will be Rifftraxed?
« on: October 27, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »
Greetings,

I apologize if this question's been answered in another thread and I failed to see it but I have a VHS copy of Phantom Menace only and I've heard the DVD has additional scenes on it.  Do I need to pick up the DVD version for the Rifftrax and if so, is there a specific version I need to get?  Any help with these questions would be greatly appriciated.    :P

Sincerely,

Megane 6.7

Offline jedi2187

• Schnappi Supporter
  • feets don't fail me now!
Re: Which version of Phantom Menace will be Rifftraxed?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 12:42:18 PM »
If you go out and get the latest one that's on the racks at Blockbuster or Wal-Mart, that'll be the only one you'll need.
" LISTEN KID. I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes. " -Roger Murdoch, Airplane!

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 12:47:02 PM »
yeah whichever is the one most available now is probably the right one.

Man imagine when they do the LOTR movies, do I get the Special Extended Edition, or the Super duper Extended....etc.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 01:04:41 PM »
yeah whichever is the one most available now is probably the right one.

Man imagine when they do the LOTR movies, do I get the Special Extended Edition, or the Super duper Extended....etc.

Well, there really is only two versions of each LOTR film.

Along those lines though, doesn't Army of Darkness have like 8 different DVD releases?
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »
Hi Megane 6.7,

Welcome to the board. It seems there is (currently) only one version of the DVD, and this is what we would recommend. According to Amazon it has a runtime of 133 minutes (Region 1 - others may vary). Of course Uncle George may decide to add scenes or recut it, but let's hope not.

We have heard of some users being able to use their VHS copy of a movie and still have little to no syncing issues with their RiffTrax. We can't recommend this of course but it doesn't seem to have very much difference, unless your machine plays the tapes slower than it should (for whatever reason).

In any event you are more than free to give it a shot, and if you do have problems, picking up the lone DVD version of the movie should fix them.

Let us know if you have any other questions, and again welcome to the RiffTrax Roundtable.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:09:42 PM by torgosPizza »

Offline Tarantulas

• Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 01:20:36 PM »
Checking online, there seem to be some variance in the run time depending on the site you check.

The original 2000 issue of the VHS tapes may be the same as the theatrical version (that is missing some extra pod race footage) of the movie.

The 2001 DVD and VHS re-release are SUPPOSEDLY 100% identical in terms of content with 133 mins being the run time.

In any case, hit the video store and make sure you have the latest version by renting the DVD.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »
Man imagine when they do the LOTR movies, do I get the Special Extended Edition, or the Super duper Extended....

Oh, yikes.

You know, if you can't make three hours worth of fast-moving pace interesting, why do an extended version? "I know! I'll make my movie even FASTER, and more boring!" >:(
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Tarantulas

• Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 02:20:09 PM »
It all amounts to little tweaks here and there, but mostly its adding crap to the pod race scene... and it really makes it drag even worse.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 04:20:09 PM »
Hi Megane 6.7,

Welcome to the board. It seems there is (currently) only one version of the DVD, and this is what we would recommend. According to Amazon it has a runtime of 133 minutes (Region 1 - others may vary). Of course Uncle George may decide to add scenes or recut it, but let's hope not.

We have heard of some users being able to use their VHS copy of a movie and still have little to no syncing issues with their RiffTrax. We can't recommend this of course but it doesn't seem to have very much difference, unless your machine plays the tapes slower than it should (for whatever reason).

In any event you are more than free to give it a shot, and if you do have problems, picking up the lone DVD version of the movie should fix them.

Let us know if you have any other questions, and again welcome to the RiffTrax Roundtable.

I have the VHS and the DVD copies of Ep 1. VHS's box says 133 minutes. The DVD doesn't say anywhere that I can find, but my DVD player has the end credits ending at 2:16, or 136 minutes. Now, It might just be an estimation on the part of one or the other, but if my memory serves, the (ONLY) DVD release of Episode 1 has a longer pod race sequence, so VHS might not sync this time.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 04:23:31 PM »
Interesting, I hadn't heard about the VHS / DVD discrepancies.... we used the "widely distributed" version of Phantom Menace that was mentioned previously - it seems to be the same version at every store.

Megane please let us know, when it does come out, whether or not the commentary syncs up fully to your VHS version (if you choose to use it).

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 03:59:43 PM »
And if nobody else will, I'll give it a second run on my VHS copy and see if everything syncs up. I have a feeling this will be good enough to watch twice. :^)

Offline Megane67

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 06:09:14 PM »
Well, I ended up renting the DVD because I didn't want the first time listening to the rifftrax to be spoiled by synching issues.  From what I've read all over the net though, the DVD has three minutes more footage than the VHS for stuff like the pod races and pretty CGI scenery for Coruscant.  So yeah, the DVD's probably the safe bet to go with unless you can find a website that tells in excruciating detail what was added to the DVD release so you can adjust accordingly with the VHS.   ???

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 08:57:49 PM »
www.imdb.com, there's a nice little Alternate Versions link on the side.

Offline David

• Liked: 48
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 04:23:35 AM »
Warning! Warning!

This Rifftax may be somewhat difficult to maintain. Currently, there are already three confirmed versions of this film. The original Theatrical version, the DVD release, and the 2007 DVD release. Since this has mainly been a DVD  depentant type of riffing, I can only assume we'll be doing the first DVD release of Episode one which is a few minutes longer then the theatrical version. I don't know much about the 2007 release, but I do know that Yoda will no longer be featured as a puppet. So any riffs that are aimed towards the puppet Yoda during the riff will probably throw the whole flow right out the window if someone watches the 2007 DVD release.

There is also the danger of the film being either shorter or longer for the 2007. It doesn't seem likely, but since George himself has said he didn't really care about Episode One on the Colbert Report there might be some trimming. There might also be some editions that have yet to surface.

Again, just a little warning. Be sure to post which edition of Episode One you're riffing.

I thought Jeyl here from the "YES!" thread brought up a good point. We may have to be worried about future versions as well as past ones.

Offline GersonK

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • Inventing Situations
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 11:18:02 AM »
Anybody know which version is running on Cinemax this month?