19 (15.7%)
Killers From Space
21 (17.4%)
Wild Women of Wongo
48 (39.7%)
Giant of Marathon
33 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: The Best Film Crew DVD Poll  (Read 23268 times)

Offline Zooball

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
  • What more do you want from me?!
Re: The Best Film Crew DVD Poll
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 12:15:05 AM »
1) Giant
2) Killers
3) Wongo
4) Hollywood

However, any of these is better than 99% of what is on TV at any given moment.
You can normally find me over at OurDarkSkies.com, but only if you like telescopes. :D

Offline Douche Baggins

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 08:10:27 PM »
wongotongo wongo-tongo!  :rimshot:

Offline space_mutiny

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 42
  • Dream busted
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 06:54:02 PM »
I have to stick with the one I voted on to be released in the first place, "Wild Women of Wongo". Although to its discredit, it lacks Rue McClanahan stripping.

Oh, also, did that gray-haired guy look like David Schwimmer (probably misspelled)? There were a bunch of references to the similarity, and I just didn't see it. Otherwise, the movie was hilarious.
Oh bite me, it's fun!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4951
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 08:32:11 PM »
Oh, also, did that gray-haired guy look like David Schwimmer (probably misspelled)? There were a bunch of references to the similarity, and I just didn't see it.

Yeah, I didn't see a resemblance either.

Wild Women of Wongo is definitely the best. The deleted scenes of them dancing to the shrieks of the old lady from the movie, and the one of Bill forgetting how to blink ("You blinded me, man!") are both awesome.

While I wasn't fond of the Giants of Marathon (the sword and sandal epics have always been very tedious to me), a big shout out to the deleted scene of Mike reading an apology for his insults and progressively insulting more and more people. Very funny, and reminiscent of the Canada Song with Tom. I particularly liked the flying tackle Kevin gives Mike near the end.

Offline Waluigi

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 04:22:14 PM »
Here is how I rank them:

1)Giant of Marathon
2)Wild Women of Wongo
3)Killers From Space
4)Hollywood After Dark

Giant of Marathon & Wild Women of Wongo was basically a tie, but I had to pick one so I went with Giant. If only there were more Film Crew dvds. :(

Offline Garth Arizona

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Bite my shiny metal ass!
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 10:42:29 PM »
I would rank Killers from Space #1.  I didn't love Wild Women of Wongo, but I've only watched it once and I was sick as a dog at home from work when I watched it.  I'll have to give it another shot I guess.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 97
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2008, 12:45:20 AM »
Giant of marathon!!  I'm a sucker for some deep hurting goodness.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2008, 06:56:55 AM »
I like all four equally. I'm not fond of the whole Bob Honcho theme or the lunch break skits. But when the movie's riff commentary is on, all four DVDs are top notch in my book.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 09:27:26 AM by CHF01 »

Doc Steve

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 01:36:35 PM »
Here is how I rank them:

1)Giant of Marathon
2)Wild Women of Wongo
3)Killers From Space
4)Hollywood After Dark

Giant of Marathon & Wild Women of Wongo was basically a tie, but I had to pick one so I went with Giant. If only there were more Film Crew dvds. :(

Ditto for me, except that I consider The Giant of Marathon vastly superior to the other three Film Crew releases.   Hollywood After Dark is so overly ambitious and "arty" that it could have been much, much better riffed.  Killers from Space seems to suffer from the fear that Mallon would sue them for using Peter Graves-inspired callbacks.  (It just cried out for some The Beginning of the End riffs.)  For me, The Wild Women of Wongo is not holding up to repeated viewings like The Giant of Marathon.   

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
I think that Wongo and Marathon are about neck and neck, but Marathon has superior special features.

None of these episodes, however, contained a lunch break that was actually funny.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
Just finished watching all of them a second time. This is how I would rank them:

1.  Giant of Marathon
   2. Hollywood After Dark
   3. Killers from Space
   4.  Wild Women of Wongo

I didn't care for Killers from Space the first time around. Liked it a bit more this time. Giant is still my top pick but it wasn't as funny the second time and Hollywood almost beat it out for the top spot. Am I the only one who finds the riffing in these Film Crew releases to be rather sparse compared with their other work?  In Wongo and Marathon especially I noticed more silent moments than usual. It's obvious to me that they did these before Rifftrax.  Still, these were enjoyable and it's a shame we won't be getting any more.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 1
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 11:10:10 AM »
I have to go with Giant of Marathon as being the best when it comes to the rifing of the movie - which to me is the "meat of the matter" always.   Great stuff about the "Do you like Gladiator Movies" aspect to it, the bad dubbing ("Did he just order baby carrots?"), the animal cruelty and the stupid plot.

Killers In Space is very good and then the staring into the camera bit was funny.  Loses points with me for all the "Biography" jokes when that film is so chockful of other crap they could make fun of.

Hollywood After Dark scores for the creativity it took to riff on the old time striipping footage and yet keep it "family friendly" enough - that couldn't have been easy.  Plus it was just a hoot to see it after all this time.  Just have this awful feeling that we didn't see the whole film.

Wild Women of Wongo is a good effort.  As good as any average MST3K episode.  But not outstanding the way of a Manos or Sidehackers.

Online RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2297
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 04:10:17 PM »
Oh, also, did that gray-haired guy look like David Schwimmer (probably misspelled)? There were a bunch of references to the similarity, and I just didn't see it. Otherwise, the movie was hilarious.

More than anything I think it was a reference to his squinty eyed confused expression toward everything.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Claude

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »
For me, Giant of Marathon was some deeeeeeeeep huuuuuuuuuuuuurting.

Very painful to watch. Way too much man-ass for a sword-n-sandal flick.

I liked Killers From Space best, but wongo is up there too.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 76
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »
Giant of Marathon for me. That's the one I voted for when they were first releasing them.

IS THAT A WOMAN?
(deep voice) Crap, I made.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/