Author Topic: No More Daily Show until the writer's strike ends!!!!  (Read 6444 times)

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
Re: No More Daily Show until the writer's strike ends!!!!
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2007, 07:59:38 AM »
I'm all for writers getting more respect and merits for their work, with the exception of whatever neo-modern gritty smuck wrote that abominable script for "Seeker: The Dark is Rising".

Stay strong, my writing brethrin! We shall triumph! >_<

Until then, I can certainly sacrifice my income of nu daily shows.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2008, 05:39:48 PM »
I'm guessing that all the hubbub about Daily Show, Colbert Report, Late Night with Conan, etc. going back without writers might just be a publicity stunt. I'd say that they have at least a couple of writers on there, but that's just my opinion. I don't know for sure, so I can't really say. But for every show that continued production throughout the strike, I'd like to give props to every writer who told the union to go fuck themselves. It's the only sensible and intelligent thing to do in a situation like this.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »
Except Daily Show went WGA back in 2006, so I don't think they can legally employ other writers.

There's one of the things I hate about unions. If a production is union, you cannot work on it if you're not in the union. What kind of bullshit is that? Robert Rodriguez had to leave the director's guild because they wouldn't let him credit Frank Miller as co-director on Sin CIty. THEN, because of this, he wasn't allowed to take part in directing another project he wanted to do (John Carter of Mars), because it was a union production. (It's now being helmed by Pixar.) The union can fuck you over, badly if you don't do as they say and relinquish your freedom as an artist. Even though you are still limited by not being a part of a union, you would not be nearly as limited as you would in the union.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2008, 08:55:44 PM »
John just said on the show tonight that they are doing it like MST3K, showing clips and saying what comes to mind...

Offline hare.29

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2008, 04:53:42 AM »
And of course Colbert ran a script from Oct. 29th the other night.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2008, 12:37:26 PM »
Except Daily Show went WGA back in 2006, so I don't think they can legally employ other writers.

There's one of the things I hate about unions. If a production is union, you cannot work on it if you're not in the union. What kind of bullshit is that? Robert Rodriguez had to leave the director's guild because they wouldn't let him credit Frank Miller as co-director on Sin CIty. THEN, because of this, he wasn't allowed to take part in directing another project he wanted to do (John Carter of Mars), because it was a union production. (It's now being helmed by Pixar.) The union can fuck you over, badly if you don't do as they say and relinquish your freedom as an artist. Even though you are still limited by not being a part of a union, you would not be nearly as limited as you would in the union.

I think Lucas left the writers or directors guild after they started giving him shit for putting all of the credits at the end of Star Wars

Offline Hebs

• Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2008, 12:40:06 PM »
I was surprised to see it on, I didn't know they were coming back at all.  I feel bad for Stewart, I'm sure he's in an awful position.
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »
I think Lucas left the writers or directors guild after they started giving him shit for putting all of the credits at the end of Star Wars

Really? I always thought he left because a) they weren't kissing his ass NEARLY enough for his superego's taste, b) he's batshit insane and nobody would put up with him anymore, or c) both. :D
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2008, 12:45:51 PM »

Really? I always thought he left because a) they weren't kissing his ass NEARLY enough for his superego's taste, b) he's batshit insane and nobody would put up with him anymore, or c) both. :D

Seems more likely....  I dunno, I can't find verification on wikipedia and that's the only amount of research I'm willing to do on him other than that TV doc I saw at 2am that night where I think I heard that other info

Doctor Who?

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »
I have heard this story many times(it's on the extras disc for the first DvD versions of the first three Star Wars movies,and you can find it in any book,or internet article about the making of Star Wars.),it goes something like this.

The actors union fined Lucas $1 million for not have credits at the star of Empire(It was hardly a new idea I think they just saw a way to get a hold of some of the Star wars pie).  After that the director's union tried to fine the Director of Empire for the same thing,Lucas paid that fine himself too,but still refused to put the credits at the start.  After that The actors,Writers,and Directors Union jointly tried to fine him and have Empire PULLED from release,so He paid the new fine but then dropped out so they couldn't fine him or tried to Pull Jedi. 

If you ask me he had a good reason to leave.

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
John just said on the show tonight that they are doing it like MST3K, showing clips and saying what comes to mind...

Hmm. John is apparently unaware that MST3K had writers. Oh well, maybe people who aren't familiar with the show will look it up to figure out what he was talking about. Also, if they're truly doing it like MST3K does that mean he's going to be trapped by mad scientists on a spaceship with robots? Because I'd be interested in watching that.  :)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »

Hmm. John is apparently unaware that MST3K had writers. Oh well, maybe people who aren't familiar with the show will look it up to figure out what he was talking about. Also, if they're truly doing it like MST3K does that mean he's going to be trapped by mad scientists on a spaceship with robots? Because I'd be interested in watching that.  :)

Well, MST3K did START as improving anyway.  Then it got better.    :)
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
That would be cool, just John's silhouette on the couch flipping back between CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc...
On timeout

Offline Zardoz!

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2008, 01:35:47 AM »
I, for one, commend John Stewart for standing by working people looking for a fair break.
Everyone who believes in justice, racial equality and free speech should support Duane "the Dog" Chapman and boycott anyone who takes action against him.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2008, 08:44:06 AM »
That would be cool, just John's silhouette on the couch flipping back between CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc...

That would be cool to see, not much different from what he's doing now with the clips in a little box next to his head....

Just because they can't used prepared scripts doesn't mean they can't get together during the day and rehearse, obviously they are putting the video clips together and coming up with jokes, John just has to remember them without using a prompter.

This does show that Stewart is funnier than Colbert, A daily show is still funny, Colbert's show was getting really funny during the month or 2 before the strike, now it's back to what it was like when he first started (only moderately funny).