Author Topic: GoldWave "Voice Over" plug in  (Read 64123 times)

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
Re: New GoldWave "Voice Over" plug in
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2007, 07:38:58 PM »
I just did a quick test and BeSweet supposedly converted the mono wavs into a 5.1 wav, but the resulting file didn't sound right to me and every program I used to try and check the parameters choked on its huge size.

Offline Christopher D. Heer

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Registered Offender
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2007, 05:10:13 AM »
First, I wanted to post a "thank you" to gammer for the terrific guide on using Goldwave.  It seemed so straightforward that it nudged me into buying my first rifftrax on Monday.  Took me a couple of run-throughs to get it right, mostly because I was working on a space-constrained PC and Goldwave appears to be very bad about removing temp files before you close things.

Anyway.  I was very excited to finish up my first mux last night.  Until, of course, I read Bairman's post about how to do it and retain 5.1 audio.  ARGH!  Now I have to start from scratch, because I admit I was lamenting the loss of 5.1 audio.

For those not going through Bairman's process, you might consider modifying gammer's process just a tiny bit: at the end, instead of converting the final .wav to .AC3, consider going to .mp2 instead.  MP2 audio should play on any DVD player, and if you're final destination is a single-layer DVD (as I suspect it may be for many folks), .mp2 takes up a lot less space than .AC3 and will leave more room for video.  Since you've already lost 5.1 audio, there's no compelling reason to stay with .AC3.

My final destination isn't DVD at all.  I have a hacked Xbox running Xbox Media Center (XBMC) hooked up to my TV, so my preference is a high-quality Xvid AVI file.  I basically followed gammer's guide to the letter (except I ended up with .mp2 audio), then pulled the .mpv and .mp2 files into DVD-Lab, added a quick, crappy menu (which would never be used), and authored.  Then I pointed AutoGK at the authored DVD files, and a couple hours later had a nice, sync'd .avi file with Xvid video and .mp3 audio.

(Actually I didn't completely follow it to the letter.  I misunderstood the voice volume setting in the plugin, so the first time my riff voices were way too loud.  I ended up just adjusting the volume of the riff .wav down before mixing, which was a wasted step.  A re-read of gammer's guide set me straight, there.)

I'm not totally happy with my process, as I seem to be re-encoding the audio too much.  Going from .AC3 to .wav is fine, as is going from .mp3 to .wav (the rifftrax audio), but then I go to .mp2, and then again to .mp3.  Ought to be a better way, but I'm not convinced there is without risking sync.  Also, going through DVD-Lab seems like more trouble than it's worth.  Has anyone tried just muxing the .AC3 and/or .mp2 audio with the .mpv using something like mplex or ffmpeg?  I'm tempted to try that next.

Anyway, thanks to Mike and the gang for the wicked product, and thanks to gammer for the awesome guide, and thanks to Bairman and the rest for the great ideas.  I'm off to go pick out a new rifftrax selection to try the 5.1 mix; if it works right I'll have to re-do ST:G.

--chris
Christopher D. Heer
Quote from: Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Offline überwurst

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2007, 01:13:14 AM »
I have a hacked Xbox running Xbox Media Center (XBMC) hooked up to my TV, so my preference is a high-quality Xvid AVI file.

Same here with XBMC. I used to prefer a high quality xvid encode and simple mp3 mix, but I've up'd my standards recently.

Instead I use DVD Decrypter to extract the video uncompressed in M2V format. I then do the audio mixing and combine the video/audio files to create an XBMC playable video file with matroska (.mkv) format. It's like AVI but more flexible. Matroska, with its support for multiple audio streams, is fully supported by XBMC. You can include the original audio stream in the same file, which makes for a nice fully-contained setup.

I store the matroska videos on my HD and stream the video to my xbox via ethernet, so burning to a DVD is unnecessary for me, though I have all the files available to me, contained within the matroska file much like a zip archive, should I ever find the need for a DVD.

btw, gammer, thanks very much for your effort, I'm using your excellent guide now to mix the LotR riff.

also, Bairman, awesome suggestion, I'm going to be trying it out. You should consider writing a guide on your process, I'm sure gammer would host it on his website.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 01:16:50 AM by überwurst »

Offline Zombie

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
  • The Angelina is Effin Hawt Army!!1!
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2007, 01:49:35 PM »
5.1 mixes with Goldwave and the voice-over plug-in are possible... but it takes a little extra effort.  In short, here's how I've been doing it:

4)  Use BeSweet to recombine the six mono WAV files into a new AC3 file.

Okay, I have my 6 edited mono WAV's finished with GWVoice plugin.  But I can't figure out how to use Besweet to recombine them.  I've tried version 1.4 and 1.5.  I had to get the VOBinput.dll from some other site (DPSguru on doom9 isn't a website anymore). 

I get this log when I try to use Besweet Gui's wizard when I hit GO:

nevermind it doesn't even make a log file anymore, just a blank txt file.

Getting very frustrated.  I had such great hopes to make a dvd with both 5.1 and 2.0 Riffs.  Going to play Warcraft for a bit to calm down.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2007, 03:26:02 PM »
Create a text file with any text editor (notepad, whatever).  In the file, you need a list of the filenames for your six mono wavs.

The channels need to be in the order indicated.

drive:\path\file_FL.wav
drive:\path\file_C.wav
drive:\path\file_FR.wav
drive:\path\file_SL.wav
drive:\path\file_SR.wav
drive:\path\file_LFE.wav

Save the file with a .mux file extension (e.g. "6channels.mux").

Use the mux file as the input source in BeSweetGUI.

Offline Zombie

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2007, 04:29:50 AM »
Making the 5.1 ac3 worked great, thanks for the info.  Never would have gotten that by myself.

One other thing I was trying to do when I saw it in another thread:  I wanted to add a Shadowramma logo to the bottom of the screen.  I made a MST3K shadows *.tga with alpha information.  I used VirtualDubMod to insert the logo across the bottom of the screen and it looks fine.  The problem is that VirtualDubMod can only save in AVI format.  I have a problem getting another program to recombine an AVI (instead of a M2V) with multiple AC3's and chapter breaks.

Any suggestions for a software solution?

Thanks again,
-Zombie

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2007, 07:59:54 AM »
Glad the mux file worked for you.  No idea about your software question... sorry.

Offline Zombie

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »
Meh, I've pretty much given up on the shadowrama logo thing in the video.  Tired of messing with it.  Maybe I'll just get on of the large vinyl static stickers and put it on my TV.  Just doing the best quality audio edits I can now.  I've done Star Wars Ep1 and I'm working on EP2 now.  Using the GWVoice plug-in is the best thing ever.  I was skeptical at first, but the results are amazing when you take the time to tweak it so you like it. 

If anyone else is still on the fence on trying it.  Do it.  You get a lot of trial runs in the demo.  Once you get your first movie edited so you like it, you'll be happy to pay the price of a DVD to use it on all your Rifftrax edits.

I'm using the same settings on both Star Wars EP1 and EP2:  0.2, 0.2, -5, -1, -34, -.2  Once I get though the opening blast of the theme I don't even notice the change in volume for the rest of the movie. 

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2007, 08:22:15 AM »

I'm using the same settings on both Star Wars EP1 and EP2:  0.2, 0.2, -5, -1, -34, -.2  Once I get though the opening blast of the theme I don't even notice the change in volume for the rest of the movie. 

Yep, its pretty much the 'cats meow'.
Like you said, take the time to test it out...you will need to test it for each re-author you do.
After using it for a year now, I'm pretty comfortable with it and can get used to using some similar settings for each rifftrax. But I still need to tweak each one specifically to its own volume settings; there is no "one setting fits all".

Offline Zombie

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2007, 10:28:08 AM »
I'm back again.  This time I'm trying to seperate 300's 6 channel ac3 into the 6 mono wav's.  BeSweet is just giving me a blank .txt file when I use the wizard.  I'll go mess with the GUI for a bit.  Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Edit:

Got it!  Use the BeLight GUI to split the 5.1 into mono waves.  I need to wright down my procedure now so I don't forgot stuff like this.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 12:03:05 PM by Zombie »

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2007, 01:00:43 PM »
Got it!  Use the BeLight GUI to split the 5.1 into mono waves.  I need to wright down my procedure now so I don't forgot stuff like this.

I was just about to offer help.  Glad you got it.

The reason I use BeSweetGUI instead of BeLight for AC3 decoding (they both use BeSweet and Azid as their core) is because BeSweetGUI uses profiles to retain project settings.  I created one for decoding to a 2.0 wav and one for decoding to 6 mono wavs.  Now all I do is click the appropriate profile, set the input filename and go.  BeLight doesn't have that... yet.  It retains the settings that were last used, so I had to keep changing back and forth between the settings for two channel and six channel.  A small thing, but everything else being equal, I'll normally use whatever product makes the job easiest..

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2007, 08:19:36 PM »
I tried out Bairman's Method and it works.  I make the mux file in belight, but i use the BeSweetGUI for the actual encoding.  For some reason, Belight kept crashing halfway during the transcoding process.  And when it didnt crash, the resulting AC3 file ended up sounding horrible(to much dialouge distortion, and the levels were way off).  But BeSweetGUI worked like a charm.  Thanks Bairman!  I've been trying to figure out a way to get real 5.1 for a long time, and ive been using belight for a while, and never realized this was possible.  Thanks again.

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2007, 08:25:24 PM »
Glad it worked for you, Ortega.  If you like that... I've figured out a way to use BeLight and Aften for encoding the AC3.  It's convoluted what has to be done to work around BeLight's bugs... but it can be done.  And Aften sounds sooooo much better than ac3enc.  As soon as I have a chance I'll post a quick how-to.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2007, 08:27:32 PM »
please do.

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2007, 03:09:18 PM »
please do.

I decided to go ahead and post my entire re-authoring process.  I've started a new thread.