Author Topic: "Spaced " to the US?  (Read 10167 times)

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
Re: "Spaced " to the US?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »
So, I finally formed semi-coherent thoughts on this, but they're too long and whiny to post all of them here. So my full thoughts are on my boring LiveJournal that nobody cares about, but to summarize, this won't work because:

• Unlike "The Office", the cultural references in the original "Spaced" aren't too local for us stupid Americans to understand (hell, half of them are "Star Wars" references), so the remake isn't nearly as justified.
  • They didn't even bother telling Edgar or Simon about this, and probably not Jessica, either. Seriously, WTF.
  • It's an obvious attempt to cash in on "Hot Fuzz", the successful "Office" remake, and the trend of sitcoms that desperately try to pander to the geek crowd.
  • It's written by a guy who wrote for "Will and Grace". And the "Spaced" characters are more than just two-dimensional stereotypes, so he won't know how to write for them.

So, that's why I feel confident pre-judging the remake.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 07:34:52 PM »
    Another British show in the news lately as being adapted for an American version is "The Eleventh Hour" sort of scientific mysteries. Original series only had 4 eps, I believe, with Patrick Stewart and Ashley Jensen (Extras) as the leads.  I netflixed them and it was ok but that's about it.
       There is a long history of British shows being Americanized.   Many, many are flops but there has been the occasional success story like All in the Family and Sanford and Son.   The Office is just the most recent success.

I think there were at least two attempts to adapt Fawlty Towers.  I remember seeing a little of one with Bea Arthur in the John Cleese role? Truly suck-erific.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:19:15 PM by starfighter »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 07:38:27 PM »
And I loved Sanford and Son almost as much as I loved Steptoe and Son. In fact I was once considering adopting a pair of male cats who'd been found in a junkyard. I was going to name them Harold and Lamont after the sons in the respective shows. One day I may still get a couple of cats and give them those names.

The thing is though both All in the Family and Sanford and Son were a while ago, the knack seems to have been lost of late (not counting competitive shows.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 09:37:14 PM »
Wow....  My insanely great mood from the new Joel news got killed pretty quickly

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 05:36:03 AM »
If you'll excuse me for a moment, I'm going to go vomit blood... :speechless:
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 06:17:09 AM »
"When Isaac Vomits Blood", Fox's new wednesday night hit after the writer's strike takes effect.
On timeout

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »
"When Isaac Vomits Blood", Fox's new wednesday night hit after the writer's strike takes effect.

I'd much rather watch that than a remake of Spaced. At least I'd be in it. ;D

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 09:26:37 AM »

No shit, I'd rather watch your show it would at least star the original cast.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 09:50:36 AM by jewishcarpenter »

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 07:02:49 AM »

No shit, I'd rather watch your show it would at least star the original cast.

The Fox version of the show will feature Isaac Hayes. ;D

Offline Taufiq2u

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 07:11:11 AM »
The difference between British and American comedy is that:

In British humour surrealism is a main factor. The weirdest, most random type of humour is genrally funny in a British sense, and it's viewed as intelligent. But when an American tries surreal or random humour, it fails and i'd be viewed as dumb and stupid.

That's why Britain has weird sketch shows like Big Train, Mitchell & Webb, Jam and Monty Python while America has normally funny sketch shows like Saturday Night Live.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 07:17:19 AM »

I think there were at least two attempts to adapt Fawlty Towers.  I remember seeing a little of one with Bea Arthur in the John Cleese role? Truly suck-erific.

WHAT?!?!?!   :gouge:   :scared:   :gouge:   :speechless:   :speechless:

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007, 08:45:21 AM »

In British humour surrealism is a main factor. The weirdest, most random type of humour is genrally funny in a British sense, and it's viewed as intelligent. But when an American tries surreal or random humour, it fails and i'd be viewed as dumb and stupid.

That's why Britain has weird sketch shows like Big Train, Mitchell & Webb, Jam and Monty Python while America has normally funny sketch shows like Saturday Night Live.

But you missed Mr Show, Adult Swim shows, and I'm too lazy to think anymore....

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2007, 09:06:37 AM »

But you missed Mr Show, Adult Swim shows, and I'm too lazy to think anymore....

Yes actually the defining factor in British sitcoms/sketch comedy is sadness/pathos. The humor is generally rooted in situations that, on reflection, are really quite depressing. American Sitcoms on the other hand are generally happy at their base.

The whole surrealism thing has more to do with the fact that many of the comedians of the '60s were influenced by absurdist theatre and they in turn influenced later sketch writers(both in England and in the US and Canada). And actually if you look at the work of Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson you can see a pretty obvious influence of Beckett on their work (especially in Bottom)

I realize that the above qualifies me for a place in Private Eye's psueds' corner, but sod it it's accurate even if it's all high falutin' sounding.

So to illustrate, here's a wonderful study in pure patheticness from Steve Coogan:

[yt=425,350]k_IoPAd_Yw0[/yt]
[yt=425,350]S_PRK40cwHI[/yt]
[yt=425,350]HZJsYn1e4tc[/yt]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 09:23:01 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 04:30:10 PM »

It's About Time: 'Spaced' Coming to Region 1 DVD

You're heard me rave about the wonders of the British series Spaced; now hear other equally-unrelated but more notable people say the same! Previously available only in Region 2 format, the Simon Pegg/Jessica Stevenson/Edgar Wright sitcom is at last coming to U.S. shores July 22, now with extraneous commentary by Quentin Tarantino, Kevin Smith, Bill Hader, Patton Oswalt, and Diablo Cody. I don't earnestly promote that many things, so take it to heart when I say if you haven't already procured the series by other means, take this opportunity.

Yeah... it's about time. But what the hell is up with all those random commentary tracks? Patton Oswalt? Fuck off.
Anyway, it's still good news! I can finally retire my old, trusty bootleg DVDs. w00t!

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline doggans

• Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 07:45:20 PM »
I knew Tarantino, Smith, Hader, and Cody were all friends of Edgar Wright...didn't know about Oswalt, although from what I understand, a lot of his standup is pretty geek-centric (I'm not that familiar myself), so I guess it makes sense.