login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1804946 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19455 on: August 01, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
Fair enough. Again they're in prison to 'hopefully' be taught a lesson and I think not being allowed to communicate with the general public should be part of that punishment.
I have talked with former inmates and they had some interesting stories to tell while incarcerated but I was also quite leery of them afterwards and watched my back when around them..
Again this is just my take on this so if you find an interest in doing this so be it but I have no interest in talking to nor communicating with any current prisoners.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #19456 on: August 01, 2018, 04:42:27 PM »
I think it's actually been litigated in the courts and ruled that legally, prisoners have the right to correspond with the outside world.  They have to pay for the writing materials, postage, and envelope, but indigent inmates get a certain ration of stamps among the indigent commissary packages.  Besides that, most prisoners eventually serve their time and get back out in to the world.  A little positivity can go a long way in helping them come out as better people than when they went in.  It's a balancing act.  If you're too harsh, the prisoner is going to go crazy, lash out inside, and be dangerous on the outside from the psychological effects of the time inside.  Too nice, and not only do you piss off the taxpayers but you also undermine the deterrent and punitive nature of prison.

I sure would love to try prison food though.  I just have to know if it's as bad as they say.  In Illinois they only provide unleavened bread products.  People were using the yeasty kind to make prison hooch.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19457 on: August 01, 2018, 05:28:49 PM »
I sure would love to try prison food though.  I just have to know if it's as bad as they say.
I know a real easy way to find out..  :-X

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19458 on: August 01, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »
While I agree many cons didn't actively make other's lives miserable, your example of making meth isn't a great one...
FINE

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19459 on: August 01, 2018, 09:07:26 PM »
RVR, it may shock you to find out that many people in prison were wrongfully convicted.  Many are in prison just because they are poor.  For example, a minor infraction may get a fine, and if you fail to pay it, fees rack up, you may be held in contempt, and be required to serve time.  Many people have no chance of a fair trial, and are likely to get less time if they just confess.  And also many many other people are in prison for recreational drug use.  And it probably wouldn't surprise you that black people are disproportionately victims in these cases.

And of course, forcing a person into poverty, and giving them zero opportunities to improve their lives, you've got to expect crime to follow.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend watching 13th on Netflix.  It is a fantastic film about how the US traded slavery for mass incarceration.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:09:09 PM by Kete »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 520
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19461 on: August 01, 2018, 11:42:07 PM »
https://sbs.com.au/news/dinner-plate-sized-spider-surprises-queensland-couple-at-meal-time

I think you mean a spider the size of a cat left a couple homeless, for their only recourse would have been to torch the sucker.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19462 on: August 02, 2018, 01:04:52 AM »
RVR, it may shock you to find out that many people in prison were wrongfully convicted.  Many are in prison just because they are poor.  For example, a minor infraction may get a fine, and if you fail to pay it, fees rack up, you may be held in contempt, and be required to serve time.  Many people have no chance of a fair trial, and are likely to get less time if they just confess.  And also many many other people are in prison for recreational drug use.  And it probably wouldn't surprise you that black people are disproportionately victims in these cases.

And of course, forcing a person into poverty, and giving them zero opportunities to improve their lives, you've got to expect crime to follow.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend watching 13th on Netflix.  It is a fantastic film about how the US traded slavery for mass incarceration.
I can see your point here. In my neck of the woods, meth, crack & opioid users/sellers (Both black & white with a few Hispanics) are in the news almost daily and a lot of them have kids in the house/vehicle that it's just made me (and many others here) think that they just need to be locked up so they don't spread their drug use to others around here.
I am aware the justice system does make innocent people criminals and ruins any real chance of bettering their lives, I'm referring mostly to those that have been found guilty based on evidence that I think shouldn't be shown much sympathy by receiving things like letters from the public though some do get wrongfully convicted I agree and hope those do get a fair hearing and released someday.
Just my $0.02 :-\

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #19463 on: August 02, 2018, 02:48:37 AM »

I can see your point here. In my neck of the woods, meth, crack & opioid users/sellers (Both black & white with a few Hispanics) are in the news almost daily and a lot of them have kids in the house/vehicle that it's just made me (and many others here) think that they just need to be locked up so they don't spread their drug use to others around here.
I am aware the justice system does make innocent people criminals and ruins any real chance of bettering their lives, I'm referring mostly to those that have been found guilty based on evidence that I think shouldn't be shown much sympathy by receiving things like letters from the public though some do get wrongfully convicted I agree and hope those do get a fair hearing and released someday.
Just my $0.02 :-\

That's respectable.  We're all flavored by the sum of our life experiences and I might feel differently too if I'd had some of the same exposure to it you had.  I think it's fine as long as you're not one of those bastards who would want to treat inmates like cockroaches.  I've heard some people who think we might as well feed them sewage and make them sleep in filth.  Who would think that a thing like a mattress is an undeserved luxury.

Me, I just can't seem to think of my pen pals as a lot more than people living in the world's worst apartment complexes.  It's like, I know that they did crimes, and they're serving time for them, and some of these crimes put some harm out into the world.  But on the other hand there are people on the outside who put harm and horribleness out into the world.  My pen pals at least are facing consequences for their actions and express remorse and regret, unlike the outside world jerks.

Also, in the end, I get a lot out of it too because I enjoy writing and receiving letters.  It really breaks up the grinding banality of everyday life.  So it's not entirely altruistic.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19464 on: August 02, 2018, 06:07:09 AM »
Also, I'm a big supporter of the idea of prisons as a tool for rehabilitation. Even if they deserve to be in there, interactions with the outside world and being treated like a person could help them in their recovery.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #19465 on: August 02, 2018, 01:01:28 PM »
Also, I'm a big supporter of the idea of prisons as a tool for rehabilitation. Even if they deserve to be in there, interactions with the outside world and being treated like a person could help them in their recovery.

I like the idea of rehabilitation in theory, so long as people realize a few things:

1) Some people are just bastards and cannot be saved.  It's not a designation I would make lightly, but it's true.
2) Some people are just too dangerous to be out in public again.  I mean like the DC Sniper or the Boston Marathon bomber or that guy who shot up that theater in Colorado some years back.
3) It takes work and planning.  It's not like there's some lever in the prison that just toggles between "punishment" and "rehabilitation".
4) It's not all or nothing.  You can do some rehabilitation and some pure punishment.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19466 on: August 06, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »
And now for something completely different(if that's okay): I'm just curious, and I know we've got a lot of fairly tech-savvy people on the board so I wanted to ask this question that's been in the back of my mind lately -- How much longer is the DVD format going to last? I mean I remember VHS's fizzled out somewhere in the mid aughts, but with DVD it's a little different. I mean think about it, DVD's are easier to manufacture(than tapes), most stores with any kind of electronics section still sell DVD players, but I have NO idea how many people have made the transition from DVD to blu-ray yet.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19467 on: August 06, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
When Blu-Ray was developed it was in the specs that it had to support DVD playback, that has continued with 4K players.

The switch to streaming is the real threat, if people stop buying discs then companies will stop making them, and then players will die out.

That has already happened with Blu-Ray 3D, you can still get 3D players but if I wanted to replace my TV  there are no 3D TVs being sold, so all my 3D disks would only be good for 2D playback.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19468 on: August 06, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »
When Blu-Ray was developed it was in the specs that it had to support DVD playback, that has continued with 4K players.

The switch to streaming is the real threat, if people stop buying discs then companies will stop making them, and then players will die out.

That has already happened with Blu-Ray 3D, you can still get 3D players but if I wanted to replace my TV  there are no 3D TVs being sold, so all my 3D disks would only be good for 2D playback.
I thought most TVs have 3D built into them now? Or was that just the fad a few years ago when I bought my last TV.

EDIT: Looking it up, it looks like a lot of tech articles from last year and this year are saying that it's "dead". On the positive side, it looks like curved TVs are also dead, and I'm glad for that. That was always a stupid idea.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:02:14 AM by Darth Geek »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19469 on: August 06, 2018, 10:05:10 AM »
I see your point Marty. I think going digital is a bigger threat to CD's. To be fair, if I had bought all the CD's containing all the music I've purchased digitally(from places like Amazon and Google play) over the past 10 years or so, I'd have a wall lined with shelf after shelf with CD's. In that respect, I can definitely see digital purchases becoming a real threat to their respective compact disc releases. I think mediums like CD start to become a little obsolete when most cars now use flash drives for music as opposed to CD's.

That being said and getting back to the point, there's at least to me nothing like actually holding the physical media in hand. As long as companies keep churning out DVD's, I'll continue to buy them because from my point of view, streaming is still inferior to watching a movie or TV show on a DVD(or otherwise any other kind of player). I know my reasoning is kind of non-existent here, but I'll try: there's just a certain charm and most importantly, some shows or movies still aren't available through digital streaming services. I know that may change one day, but I can go to Ebay or the third party sellers on Amazon and buy a movie much cheaper than I can get the digital version from the online store.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:42:09 AM by Russoguru »