login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785284 times)

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19395 on: June 10, 2018, 10:41:18 AM »
Sad news.  Two members of the band Arcade Fire died in a terrible panic at the disco, and vice-versa.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:52:00 AM by Retro Muppet Pastor »
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #19396 on: June 11, 2018, 07:31:02 AM »
Just read IHOP is changing their name to IHOb, but they won't say what the "b" stands for until next week.

Is Kathy Bates going to be their new spokesperson?

"I hobbled"  >:D

Honest guess, I would say the 'B' stands for "Breakfast".
Turns out I was wrong, and it stands for "Burgers".  I guess they were having trouble competing with Waffle House and Denny's, so they are trying to get away from being too highly affiliated with only breakfast.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19397 on: June 11, 2018, 07:39:01 AM »
Just read IHOP is changing their name to IHOb, but they won't say what the "b" stands for until next week.

Is Kathy Bates going to be their new spokesperson?

"I hobbled"  >:D

Honest guess, I would say the 'B' stands for "Breakfast".
Turns out I was wrong, and it stands for "Burgers".  I guess they were having trouble competing with Waffle House and Denny's, so they are trying to get away from being too highly affiliated with only breakfast.

And it's only a temporary change as part of a marketing campaign for new burgers on the menu.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19398 on: June 11, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »
Yeah, sounds like this is like when KFC temporarily changed their packaging to Kentucky Grilled Chicken.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19399 on: June 11, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »
Yeah, sounds like this is like when KFC temporarily changed their packaging to Kentucky Grilled Chicken.

Which was their second choice, at least until they found out that the acronym for Kentucky Greased Buhkaws was in use

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #19400 on: June 13, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »
Quick question on punctuation:

If you end a sentence with a quote, do you put punctuation after the quotation marks?  For example, which is correct?

And then I said "Why is John such an idiot?"
or
And then I said "Why is John such an idiot?".

I've always assumed it was the first one, but I don't actually know. 

EDIT:
Oh, I've thought of a better example. Is it:

Do you remember that time Jill said "Leave me out of your example."
or
Do you remember that time Jill said "Leave me out of your example."?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:00:25 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19401 on: June 13, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »

If you end a sentence with a quote, do you put punctuation after the quotation marks?  For example, which is correct?

or

I always thought it was the first option as well.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #19402 on: June 13, 2018, 04:00:08 PM »

or

or

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19403 on: June 13, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »

or

or

I think these are the correct ways to write those 2 examples, the difference being if the question is part of the quote or not:

Do you remember that time Jill said "Leave me out of your example"?

Double punctuation is a no-no.

Same goes for exclamation marks, inside if part of the quote, outside if part of the sentence.

Ending on a quote without a question mark the period goes inside the quotes in the USA, outside in the UK.

This is the best chart I found doing a quick search:

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/terminal-points.html
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:29:47 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19404 on: June 13, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
Professional editor here!

The punctuation of the quote always closes out the sentence, so in those examples, you would only need the question mark.

The correct way to punctuate would be with a question mark. No period. Which side of the quotation mark the punctuation shows up on depends on which style guide you use, which is another way of saying they're both right as long as you're consistent.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19405 on: June 14, 2018, 05:38:19 AM »
I was taught that the punctuation always went outside the quotes, regardless of the content of the quote. That never made sense to me when the quote was the question, so I never followed that rule. I'm glad to find out that I was just following a different style guide.

Many grammar rules are fluid, but people still get bent out of shape over them. I guess I do like some changes better than others. I can support allowing sentences to end in prepositions, but I do not like changing the definition of "literally".

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19406 on: June 15, 2018, 08:24:36 PM »
About seven years ago, something happened that... I don't know if I could say it changed my life or not. I knew this woman, and we were friends for several years because we were fans of the same band. I don't know what got into me, but I told her that at the time, I cut myself a lot. At that point, she told me to never talk to her again. I don't know what gets into people, but if somebody told me that they cut themselves, I would at least show a little bit of damn concern.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19407 on: June 16, 2018, 07:34:38 AM »
So in a couple hours I'm going to meet a woman I have been talking to for a little over a year now.
When I lost my wife a year and a half ago to cancer I was not thinking of starting another relationship but as fate would have it, she just happened to watch one of my YT videos where I was ranting a bit about how so much of our money was funneled south to Mexico, a lot more than I was ever aware of and she reached out to me as someone to talk to.
It started out as email communications at first then she sent me her phone number and I called her and we've been talking ever since. She lost her fiance over 2 years ago to a drunk driver so we kinda consoled each other early on.
She's flying in from Pittsburgh to stay with me for 3 weeks and we plan on getting to know each other better. She's a Star Wars & Star Trek fan as well as a MST3K fan but never watched a RiffTrax before so I'll be introducing her to that very soon.
I'm nervous and excited at the same time and I hope my past emotions don't well-up and cause any issues as I am still getting over the loss of my wife of 16 years but I need to keep the past in the past and not let it affect my/our future so this will be a very interesting experiment for me to see where I'm at emotionally.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #19408 on: June 16, 2018, 09:28:04 AM »
So in a couple hours I'm going to meet a woman I have been talking to for a little over a year now.
When I lost my wife a year and a half ago to cancer I was not thinking of starting another relationship but as fate would have it, she just happened to watch one of my YT videos where I was ranting a bit about how so much of our money was funneled south to Mexico, a lot more than I was ever aware of and she reached out to me as someone to talk to.
It started out as email communications at first then she sent me her phone number and I called her and we've been talking ever since. She lost her fiance over 2 years ago to a drunk driver so we kinda consoled each other early on.
She's flying in from Pittsburgh to stay with me for 3 weeks and we plan on getting to know each other better. She's a Star Wars & Star Trek fan as well as a MST3K fan but never watched a RiffTrax before so I'll be introducing her to that very soon.
I'm nervous and excited at the same time and I hope my past emotions don't well-up and cause any issues as I am still getting over the loss of my wife of 16 years but I need to keep the past in the past and not let it affect my/our future so this will be a very interesting experiment for me to see where I'm at emotionally.

But if your emotions do well up, which they might, and she is still there, it might tell you something.

I’m very happy for you, and I hope you have a nice time.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19409 on: June 18, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »
I was on Reddit, and saw a thread that was about this guy being a massive tool. At the end of my condolences to the poor girl, I used the line "That guy is a creep that even Radiohead wouldn't sing about" and I'm overpleased by the line.