Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1712390 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2580
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19305 on: April 22, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
Yes to both. I used to love Brazil, but I think I may have outgrown it. :P

Funny!  I feel the same way.  I need to watch it again, but I've definitely cooled on it, along with a lot of Terry Gilliam's work.  I still like Fear and Loathing and Tideland, but not as much as I used to.  And his recent work has been... well, not very good.  The Zero Theorem was actually rather awful.  So who knows what The Man Who Killed Don Quixote will be like.  Probably... not great.

12 Monkeys still holds up for me, along with Fear and Loathing. Tideland was a great movie that wasn't for me.
FINE

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7888
« Reply #19306 on: April 22, 2018, 08:21:46 PM »

Funny!  I feel the same way.  I need to watch it again, but I've definitely cooled on it, along with a lot of Terry Gilliam's work.  I still like Fear and Loathing and Tideland, but not as much as I used to.  And his recent work has been... well, not very good.  The Zero Theorem was actually rather awful.  So who knows what The Man Who Killed Don Quixote will be like.  Probably... not great.

12 Monkeys still holds up for me, along with Fear and Loathing. Tideland was a great movie that wasn't for me.

I keep coming back to the theme of Tideland as I teach history, and I get what he was trying to do, but it was deeply unpleasant to watch.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1440
« Reply #19307 on: April 22, 2018, 08:35:39 PM »

I keep coming back to the theme of Tideland as I teach history, and I get what he was trying to do, but it was deeply unpleasant to watch.

Very uncomfortable at times, absolutely.  But also incredibly beautiful and innocent at others. 

12 Monkeys doesn't work for me any more.  I like Brad Pitt in it, but that's about it. 

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3532
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19308 on: April 23, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
Work has been super crazy lately.  We were a close-knit team for over 10 years (longer than that too, but that's when I started).  We had 3 great managers, and more than 20 engineers.  Lot's of experienced talent.  All three of the managers are now gone (the top manager was forced out due to some politicking at the executive level, one moved away, and the last one got called to active duty). Many of the older engineers have now retired; we are losing two more at the end of the week.  One was our principal engineer, and one was our architect.  We had a guy that was going to take over the principal engineer role, but he just announced today that he is leaving.  The team is now down to me and one other senior engineers, three lead engineers (mid-level), and three engineers that are just out of college.  I think they are going to make me either the new principal or architect, and I DO NOT feel ready for that.  My impostor syndrome is kicking into overdrive.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3688
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19309 on: April 23, 2018, 12:24:48 PM »
Work has been super crazy lately.  We were a close-knit team for over 10 years (longer than that too, but that's when I started).  We had 3 great managers, and more than 20 engineers.  Lot's of experienced talent.  All three of the managers are now gone (the top manager was forced out due to some politicking at the executive level, one moved away, and the last one got called to active duty). Many of the older engineers have now retired; we are losing two more at the end of the week.  One was our principal engineer, and one was our architect.  We had a guy that was going to take over the principal engineer role, but he just announced today that he is leaving.  The team is now down to me and one other senior engineers, three lead engineers (mid-level), and three engineers that are just out of college.  I think they are going to make me either the new principal or architect, and I DO NOT feel ready for that.  My impostor syndrome is kicking into overdrive.
As Worf said to Martok at the end of Star Trek DS9:
Kahless said "Great men do not seek power. They have power thrust upon them."
Wish I could help you there as I think my 10+ years of QA knowledge could be put to use though I haven't been doing QA work since 2006 :-\

But I do have an interview with the Post Office in the neighboring town tomorrow and if I'm hired could carry me to retirement.. We'll see how that goes.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3034
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19310 on: April 23, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »
I've never heard the term "imposter syndrome" before, but after looking it up I'm pretty sure I have a healthy dose of it, myself. My life is going super-great right now, and it's directly because of things I've done and skills I've acquired, but there's that lingering voice in the back of my head that tells me it's all a big mistake and as soon as someone finds out I'm just me, it's all going to come crashing down.

I've found some solace in the realization that I'm really not in a position to judge my achievements without bias (even if it's negative bias) and that it's best to listen to the people who tell me they know I can handle something. So far I've risen to every occasion and lived up to every expectation, so I must be capable of more than I think I am.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 453
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19311 on: April 24, 2018, 09:20:14 AM »
I started dieting with 1500 calories/ day. I'm meeting with a nutritionist today to refine the plan by supplementing some exercise in there. I showed up an hour a half early because I thought I had a dental appointment before it. Now I'm sitting here, hungry as fuck, thinking of the irony inherent in wanting to go to the McDonald's across the road after seeing the nutritionist.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 457
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #19312 on: April 26, 2018, 11:18:33 AM »
I was just watching World's Dumbest and there was this guy who was majorly angry about a post his Daughter posted to Facebook, so naturally as punishment, he takes her Laptop outside and shoots it with his .45 like 5 or 6 times. Now... don't get me wrong, some measure of discipline was probably in order. However(and this is my point) the punishment should be proportional to the wrong that was done. Destroying somebody else's property over a disrespectful Facebook post is IMHO going a bit too far. Just take away the damn Laptop for a week or something, that should be more than enough punishment for any one whose life is all about Facebook.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19313 on: April 30, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
You never realise how much work it is to go around to everything that uses your name and tell them that you changed it until you have to do it. Today I sorted the bank and the college, tomorrow will be my doctor's office. I also signed up for the CNA course at the college, so I should be certified around mid July and able to work soon after.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19314 on: April 30, 2018, 07:37:35 PM »
You never realise how much work it is to go around to everything that uses your name and tell them that you changed it until you have to do it. Today I sorted the bank and the college, tomorrow will be my doctor's office. I also signed up for the CNA course at the college, so I should be certified around mid July and able to work soon after.

If it gets to be too much, and you have the funds, maybe you could get a VPA (virtual personal assistant).  I think they are about $5/hour, and they are great for mundane crap.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19315 on: May 01, 2018, 07:56:18 AM »

If it gets to be too much, and you have the funds, maybe you could get a VPA (virtual personal assistant).  I think they are about $5/hour, and they are great for mundane crap.

Honestly, I don't mind. Going around to various places and getting it sorted is a bit of a reaffirmation that my name is official instead of by use. The most complicated part will be my driver's license, because I don't want a Kansas licence. I'm planning on going to Colorado to get it sorted, because they'll let me keep the F gender marker.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1440
« Reply #19316 on: May 04, 2018, 07:08:49 AM »
My wife has a pile of photos on the desktop of her laptop.  Literally.  She ran out of space for icons on her desktop, so she put a bunch of old icons of photos physically on top of each other, making it impossible to click on the one you want.  To look at them you have to click and drag them apart. 

Part of me is ashamed, but part of me is impressed.  I would have never thought to do that in 100 years, because I know what a folder is. 

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4277
« Reply #19317 on: May 08, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »
I have a question about riff requests.  If the thing is part of a series (Cannon Movie Tales, for instance) should I request them individually or as a single post?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19318 on: May 09, 2018, 07:20:21 PM »
Quick poll: I'm sending one of these to near space on a high altitude balloon, and retrieving it. I can only send one. Who should it be?
1-Traditional Astronaut,
2-Benny, or
C-Han Solo

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3688
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19319 on: May 09, 2018, 07:25:09 PM »
Send the scruffy looking nerf herder 8)