login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1787330 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19245 on: March 06, 2018, 06:33:40 AM »
I have too many damn movies and TV shows I've bought over the years. Every shelf in my room is literally lined with DVD's and VHS's... and a few books here and there, I know, I know, I never read but for some reason I've bought them over the years anyway. One of these days I'm gonna just have to put some of the movies and tv shows I am NEVER going to watch in my closet or something, because I have literally never watched some of these shows in years and probably never will get around to doing so.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19246 on: March 12, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #19247 on: March 15, 2018, 02:51:37 AM »
So the current book is Alfred Bester's Demolished Man (1952), and today I had two interesting 'A ha!' moments from it.

First was when two characters literally had a conversation with a portion as:
"Sarcastic retort."
"Sarcastic reply"
Here's me thinking that was some modern thing.

The second was the dawning realisation that this was a book about a telepath guild which had a heck of a lot in common with Babylon 5's Psi Corp lead by Alfred Bester. Ohhhhhh. <head smack>

I really need to update the book thread.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:54:11 AM by BathTub »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4643
« Reply #19248 on: March 15, 2018, 03:31:00 AM »
So the current book is Alfred Bester's Demolished Man (1952), and today I had two interesting 'A ha!' moments from it.

First was when two characters literally had a conversation with a portion as:
"Sarcastic retort."
"Sarcastic reply"
Here's me thinking that was some modern thing.

The second was the dawning realisation that this was a book about a telepath guild which had a heck of a lot in common with Babylon 5's Psi Corp lead by Alfred Bester. Ohhhhhh. <head smack>

I really need to update the book thread.

What makes you think that a book written by an Alfred Bester about a telepath guild would have ANYTHING to do with Straczynski's Babylon 5 telepath guild led by Alfred Bester?  You just want take away credit for Straczynski's awesome creativity!  ;)

[Seriously, if Psy Corps wasn't my least favorite thing about B5, I'd be all over that book.  Thanks for the heads-up that the link exists, though!]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19249 on: March 15, 2018, 06:21:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the creator of Wallpaper Engine's biggest wish was that someday, somewhere, someone would have 4 monitors, all of which playing a different animated video of the doge meme. That wish has been fulfilled.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19250 on: March 21, 2018, 05:15:59 PM »
I'm never going to be able to work again because of my disabilities, but another thing occurred to me. As I recall, the last time I filled out an application for employment(which was in 2014 or earlier), you HAVE to check a box saying that you can perform all the tasks/duties in your job without assistance. In all honesty, I can't in good conscience check that box because I thought back to my job at the insurance company I had way back in October of 2012... which was my last job and my very last paycheck for work over the last 6 years. Anyway thinking back to that job I needed assistance with every other claim I had been working on for the whole month that I was working there. Looking back, I'm a little surprised that I wasn't dismissed sooner. It was just a nasty thing to happen because this was all still going on during training and I didn't expect or think it was possible to fire somebody from training so the day I got the call I was in genuine shock. Then again you have to realize I was still in a bit of a naive phase of my life despite being in my early 30's.

What I'm trying to say... and I think this may have come across in some of my other posts, but I am not happy with my life. Yes, yes, my current living situation is not too bad, I've got my own room, TV, Blu-ray player, game consoles, I've got the use of my father's car, I get fed, I get SSI and I've got a roof over my head. I'm just sad and nothing helps the bipolar half of my depression like the thought that I'm never going to change. I'll always be stuck at my folks place, I'll never have a social life, and I'll never be able to have any kind of relationship, all because of my damned psychological and financial situations. Both of those are never going to change... not for the better anyway.

I guess I just need to learn to try and be happy with things the way they are. As somebody else whose name I can't recall has said, things can always be worse. Not only that, but taking all my problems into consideration... looking at what some people have to put up with or deal with in other parts of the world, I guess I've got things pretty good. I'm just sad that AFAIK I'll never have the capacity to pursue all the things I've ever hoped and dreamed about.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19251 on: March 21, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »
I'm sorry, russoguru.  You are in an intensely difficult position in your life.

I can identify (though for me from the TBIs rather than bipolar).  It has taken a long time to start to get to a point where I can accept my life as it is (last able to work in 1997, last able to socialize [phone or in person] without serious repurcussions in mid-1999), and I do what I can to keep myself from overdoing it and having setbacks.  My accident 'award' from the legal action was for lifetime loss, and was equivalent to what I would have made in ONE YEAR if I'd been able to finish my degree.  (I do get SSDI, based on student half-time wages.)

There is no special advice I can give, no 'magic pill' to change things.  I can just say, in my own way, I understand.  And I am sorry you are in that position.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3179
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19252 on: March 22, 2018, 10:25:28 PM »
So my Birthday comes in a week, and I like to see Movies on/around my Birthday. Historically, this has had me scraping the bottom of the barrel for movies that I'd maybe enjoy, and often didn't. March has always been one of the worst months for movies, and now suddenly I've got 3 movies I really want to see (Ready Player One, Isle of Dogs, Pacific Rim 2). My cup runeth over. And two of those movies are the type that usually end up as summer blockbusters. Are we THAT saturated with summer blockbusters that they're just spilling over into Spring now?

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19253 on: March 22, 2018, 10:46:50 PM »
Stupid philosophy book, making me actually think about my views on intelligent design. Didn't sway me, but it was a pretty decent argument.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19254 on: March 23, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »
Is it possible to write a response to a question in philosophy and not sound like a total fucking windbag? Because if so, I've not figured that one out yet.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19255 on: March 26, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »
I just saw a clip from Howard the Duck and I only just noticed this... yes, I know, only noticing this just now after seeing the movie before. Anyway his "planet" is shaped like an egg. This is where my question comes from though... if it's shaped like an egg is it still a planet? I know, this sounds like the kind of question you'd discuss with your drinking buddies while drunk, but I'm really curious. Astronomy experts, care to comment?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19256 on: March 26, 2018, 09:29:31 PM »
I just saw a clip from Howard the Duck and I only just noticed this... yes, I know, only noticing this just now after seeing the movie before. Anyway his "planet" is shaped like an egg. This is where my question comes from though... if it's shaped like an egg is it still a planet? I know, this sounds like the kind of question you'd discuss with your drinking buddies while drunk, but I'm really curious. Astronomy experts, care to comment?

https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/planets-round/en/
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3179
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19257 on: March 26, 2018, 10:41:18 PM »
That should be the last time you doubt the science behind Howard the Duck.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19258 on: April 01, 2018, 12:50:16 AM »
He is Risen!

. . . . . . . . . . JUST KIDDING!

Happy Easter/April Fools!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19259 on: April 02, 2018, 04:35:39 PM »
And speaking of completely random, my fantasy Avengers team includes Dexter Morgan, The tenth Doctor, Edward and Alphonse Elric, Alucard(From Hellsing Ultimate), Scrooge McDuck, Rey, and Snake Plissken. Seriously, just try to imagine and envision how awesome that would be.