Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1787323 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3179
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19155 on: January 30, 2018, 11:54:27 AM »
He said there may be one parody that he plays, and I wonder if that's actually the one, since ending his concerts with the Yoda chant is kind of a tradition.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19156 on: February 02, 2018, 08:51:00 AM »
I've grown to hate Valentine's Day. To me it's more like a 'Forced' holiday..
I've never been able to get it right in the past and I believe it's more prone to start arguments/fights between couples than love. :-[

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19157 on: February 02, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »
I get that.

I hated Valentine's Day for years, myself. I never had a date for it, so it was just a reminder of loneliness.

Now it's my anniversary. We got married then because of a radio station promotion that would do the ceremony for free if you brought a valid marriage license to Red Rocks Amphitheater. We were frustrated with trying to plan the wedding with little help, and we liked the idea of the setting.

Now I like it for reasons both practical and romantic. I have no fear of forgetting my anniversary because the world reminds me. Erica and I both enjoy rolling our eyes at the V-Day displays and their inherent cheesiness knowing we're going to enjoy ourselves more without killing ourselves trying to outdo anyone.

The biggest headache is knowing I can't get a decent dinner reservation. I can try it planning more in advance, but when I do we almost always end up cancelling.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19158 on: February 02, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
The only advantage Valentines Day has is that it's not a religious holiday. Other than that, it's just a hollow reminder that most women will like anything that is supposedly "romantic", regardless of how artificial it is. Which makes it really hard to respect them.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19159 on: February 02, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »
it's just a hollow reminder that most women will like anything that is supposedly "romantic", regardless of how artificial it is.
You'd think but THIS is where I've gotten into trouble because many times it was considered 'cheap' and lacked feeling for some reason :-\

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19160 on: February 02, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
it's just a hollow reminder that most women will like anything that is supposedly "romantic", regardless of how artificial it is.
You'd think but THIS is where I've gotten into trouble because many times it was considered 'cheap' and lacked feeling for some reason :-\

There are certainly some women that don't care for Valentines Day. But I think the majority of them seem to.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19161 on: February 02, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »
The only advantage Valentines Day has is that it's not a religious holiday.

Which is odd, because it kind of is. Of all the Christian holidays you can point to and say "it's been stolen by marketing" this is the one you have the strongest case for.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3179
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19162 on: February 02, 2018, 04:03:18 PM »
It's all about having the right woman. Valentines day for Tyrant and I is watching Black Panther (A couple days after the proper date, alas.) and going to comic and toy stores. Then a nice dinner somewhere. Those are the fires that forged us and that's romance for us.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19163 on: February 02, 2018, 06:34:33 PM »
It's all about having the right woman. Valentines day for Tyrant and I is watching Black Panther (A couple days after the proper date, alas.) and going to comic and toy stores. Then a nice dinner somewhere. Those are the fires that forged us and that's romance for us.

Stealing this for when me and the missus are on the same continent, pretty sure that she'd go for it in a heartbeat

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19164 on: February 02, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »

Which is odd, because it kind of is. Of all the Christian holidays you can point to and say "it's been stolen by marketing" this is the one you have the strongest case for.
How? The only relation to anything religious is that it's named after St. Valentine. But there was never a yearly church service in recognition of him, was there?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19165 on: February 03, 2018, 08:16:38 AM »

How? The only relation to anything religious is that it's named after St. Valentine. But there was never a yearly church service in recognition of him, was there?

My limited understanding is that there was,  that even the church doesn't know why anymore, or which St Valentine they are celebrating (there were I guess two of them out of a possible 11 it could be)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:20:27 AM by RoninFox »

gum.co/RFTthing

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19166 on: February 03, 2018, 09:42:38 AM »

My limited understanding is that there was,  that even the church doesn't know why anymore, or which St Valentine they are celebrating (there were I guess two of them out of a possible 11 it could be)
I shouldn't be surprised by that.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19167 on: February 03, 2018, 09:51:01 AM »
The Catholic church specifically basically had holy days for every holiday. To be fair, though, most of the calendar was holy days. I think valentine's was one that they dropped before I was born, but I went to loads as a kid.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19168 on: February 03, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »
According to Wikipedia St Valentine was removed from the calendar of official masses in 1969 because there was so little known about him.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19169 on: February 03, 2018, 10:49:09 AM »
This must be a new squirrel to my neighborhood, all the others have learned already that they can't get into this feeder: