login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1787647 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4643
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19080 on: December 21, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »
I'm looking forward to some films next year.  One I'm not sure on yet is the Ron Howard directed

. . . . . . . . . "SOLO: A Plastic Cup Story"
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19081 on: December 21, 2017, 07:02:18 PM »
Thinking of going to a big Winter Solstice celebratory party?

Yule be glad you did!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19082 on: December 21, 2017, 09:56:52 PM »
Whoever invented double pointed knitting needles is both a genius and a complete sadist.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7908
« Reply #19083 on: December 21, 2017, 11:18:23 PM »
Thinking of going to a big Winter Solstice celebratory party?

Yule be glad you did!

I'm logging this for future reference.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19084 on: December 22, 2017, 09:14:35 PM »
My mother showed her co-worker some of my knitting work and I've made 60 dollars making knit hats for her grandkids, and one for my mom's boss's kids. I love knitting, but I'm getting fatigued.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19085 on: December 25, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
Was wondering why my house was getting cold, then realized it's Monday, my programmable thermostat thinks I should be at work.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19086 on: December 25, 2017, 04:07:43 PM »
If your question is "Does Vincent Price's final scene in Edward Scissorhands still make you weep ugly tears?" the answer is "Why yes it does, don't look at me."
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19087 on: December 26, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
LucasM's Deep Thought for the Day:

My grandma and I used to spar, as she was an Okinawan kobudo and karate expert. Most of the time I could hold my own. But when she brought out her Hummel figurine chained to her small metal Eiffel Tower? I could never beat her.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . She was just too good with her Nunchachkies.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19088 on: December 26, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »
So, there's the song that Maui sings in Moana, You're Welcome. I realised that it could be changed to:

What else can I say except Dormamu
I've come to
Bargain once again today.

I need this to be an animation.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19089 on: December 26, 2017, 04:02:25 PM »
3 news helicopters hovering about 1/4 mile in back of my house, seems there is a huge condo fire in Brookhaven PA...

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19090 on: December 27, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »
Can anyone think of names given to generic cities?  Other names like "Anytown, U.S.A."?

I'd appreciate it.  I know there's another common one that I've been forgetting and its driving me nuts.  Thanks!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19091 on: December 28, 2017, 06:08:45 AM »
Can anyone think of names given to generic cities?  Other names like "Anytown, U.S.A."?

I'd appreciate it.  I know there's another common one that I've been forgetting and its driving me nuts.  Thanks!

I can just think of fictional wrestling towns, and I don't think that's what you're going for.

Favorites include: Dudleyville, The Edge of Sanity, The Wasteland

And of course the grand daddy, the town that's produced more masked and facepainted monsters than any other place in the world: PARTS UNKNOWN!
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19092 on: December 28, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »

I can just think of fictional wrestling towns, and I don't think that's what you're going for.

Favorites include: Dudleyville, The Edge of Sanity, The Wasteland

And of course the grand daddy, the town that's produced more masked and facepainted monsters than any other place in the world: PARTS UNKNOWN!

Thank you.  I'm sorry, I may not have been clear.  I'm looking for a name or names that are used in place of actual names, that make it clear that they are 'fill-in' or fake names like "Anytown, USA".  There was at least one other that was in fairly common use in the past, but I just can't seem to remember it.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19093 on: December 28, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
Springfield?   >:D

That was not easy to search for, but maybe you are thinking of "Podunk", that is the only other one I've read that fits the same description as "Anytown".
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:07:36 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #19094 on: December 28, 2017, 01:10:23 PM »
This is the best I can find, from Wikipedia:

Geographical locations

Placeholders such as "Main Street", "Your County", and "Anytown" are often used in sample mailing addresses. Ruritania is commonly used as a placeholder country.

Something-stan, where something is often profanity, is commonly used as a placeholder for a Middle Eastern or South Asian country or for a politically disliked portion of one's own country.

Timbuktu, which happens to be a real city, is often used to mean a place that is far away, in the middle of nowhere, and/or exotic.

Podunk is used in American English for a hypothetical small town regarded as typically dull or insignificant, a place that you have likely never heard of, though still in the United States.

In New Zealand English, Wop-wops (alternatively Woop-woops, or more rarely in Australian English, Woop-woop) is the placeholder name for an out of the way location, usually rural and sparsely populated.[3]

In British English, Bongo Bongo Land (or Bongo-bongo Land) is a pejorative term used to refer to Third World countries, particularly in Africa, or to a fictional such country.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placeholder_name