Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1973580 times)

soguru

Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #15270 on: July 26, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
It's been raining here. Kind of nice cuz it was pretty dusty again. Anyways, I hate Sundays. I never have. I think it's because I used to go to Church all the time when I was a kid on Sundays and I never did like it. I think that's pretty much the standard with a lot of churches, whatever you went to on Sundays I doubt any kid liked it.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5041
« Reply #15271 on: July 26, 2015, 03:41:53 PM »
Well here's another unintended nutritional article.  Hopefully this helps some people who are curious how things work in the body.

Spoilered since off topic (not "random").
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:33:51 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1385
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #15272 on: July 26, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »
I will add that book to my TBR pile. I have put it on hold at the library.

How should a person go from sedentary to marathon runner? Obviously with training and little goals, but at what point should they exceed 20-30 3x weekly?
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3082
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #15273 on: July 26, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »
How should a person go from sedentary to marathon runner?

A few people at work have gone from moderate activity to running marathons, took them a couple of years, going from sedentary would of course take longer...

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #15274 on: July 26, 2015, 04:58:07 PM »

How should a person go from sedentary to marathon runner? Obviously with training and little goals, but at what point should they exceed 20-30 3x weekly?

I think that when 20-30 minutes 3x weekly gets insanely easy, you can increase.  I'm not being sarcastic.  Your body should tell you when it's O.K. to increase your level of activity. Just increase a little at a time, and after each increase becomes really easy for you, increase a little more.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #15275 on: July 26, 2015, 05:29:03 PM »

I think that when 20-30 minutes 3x weekly gets insanely easy, you can increase.  I'm not being sarcastic.  Your body should tell you when it's O.K. to increase your level of activity. Just increase a little at a time, and after each increase becomes really easy for you, increase a little more.

You realize if I was good at listening to my body, I wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

Anyway, define "easy."

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #15276 on: July 26, 2015, 06:09:03 PM »

You realize if I was good at listening to my body, I wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

Anyway, define "easy."
When the exercise isn't really that much of an exertion. An example would be like doing a long walk. If that's not difficult for you, you up the difficulty. But "easy" is a massively subjective term. You'll know when it's easy for you, or when you think you can do more. For me, it's not actually so much the muscles that have the issues. My respitory system is the thing that makes it difficult for me to run. My muscles are still largely in tune with how they were when I used to run 3-4 miles a day. Maybe not as strong, but after 2.4 miles today, split in half, I felt like my muscles couldvr gone another few laps, bit I had to stop each time because my throat was sore. It mainly has to do with allergies which sucks, because I've yet to find a good solution for allergies that's not 2 benedryl. YAY EXHAUSTION.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #15277 on: July 26, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »
Easy for YOU.  ;)

Let's say you ride a stationary bike.  You do it for SLOWLY for 20 minutes three times a week.  At first, it's a little painful in the legs. You feel really tired and winded after you finish, utterly drenched in sweat.  It's a struggle to get through the 20 minutes.   

After a while (a few weeks, in my case), you notice you don't feel so winded, your muscles aren't sore, and you feel that you could have kept on riding after the 20 minutes is over.   When you get to that stage, try riding 5 minutes longer.   Or, if you want to keep the time at 20 minutes, try riding a little faster.  And when that gets easy, increase again. And so on.

I understand what you mean about listening to your body.  But in this case, it's a matter of hearing your body say, "hey, this is getting easier."   I know you can hear that. :highfive:
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #15278 on: July 26, 2015, 07:33:24 PM »

I'm glad the book sounds interesting.  I hope you find it useful or helpful.

I think the response to the second part of your post is four-fold. [EDIT: and is in more detail than is appropriate for this thread, so put in a spoiler for only those interested.]

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:36:08 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #15279 on: July 27, 2015, 04:00:02 AM »
I had to switch to an exercise bike, the recumbent kind, like TV.s Frank had.  I gained 40 pounds.  :speechless:

Actually, I aggravated my back injury, and had to switch to occasional walks. :(
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #15280 on: July 27, 2015, 06:08:28 AM »
I feel like I should point out a few things:

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #15281 on: July 27, 2015, 06:09:57 AM »
Also I need to add:

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #15282 on: July 27, 2015, 06:52:50 AM »
As someone who's now been running for a couple of years and had never done so before, I'm not sure I'd recommend starting. It's terrible for the legs. I have a knee that acts up every time I run.

Why do it then? Because it's so fucking efficient at burning calories. I can burn 600 calories in 40 minutes running, and get my HR to 80-90% of max. Nothing else I do comes close to that.

See, I've never actually had problems like that. And i never even tracked the calories I burned until like a year ago. I just love running. The feeling after a good run is amazing.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #15283 on: July 27, 2015, 07:33:54 AM »
Can I just say, I'm basic as fuck, and it kind of aggravates me. I'm so average that it hurts.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #15284 on: July 27, 2015, 12:15:32 PM »
I had a lengthier response to this, but my computer froze and there was no way to save it.  I simply don't have the capacity to try to recreate it.

I feel like I should point out a few things:

Also I need to add:

I did not mean anything I wrote to be critical.  My responses were based solely on what you'd written.

With your comment '4', people using terms like "lazy" are the opposite of helpful.  That is one of the most DEmotivating comments that can be made to someone who is overweight, and result in additional emotional responses that can feed into binging and exercise avoidance.

In response to the term 'lazy': first, people who have made attempts at change are not lazy.  People with psychological difficulties are almost never lazy (generally they have too much going on inside and are often, at best, mentally exhausted from it to the exclusion of other actions).  In addition, when food is involved, there are a large number of biological components to food addictions (e.g. sugar/corn/wheat) that often trump the psychological functioning of people without psych difficulties.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:37:25 AM by LucasM »