Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1787326 times)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #12510 on: November 10, 2014, 10:36:25 AM »
Oh come on! You gotta do the antenna!  :D

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12511 on: November 10, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »
Sometimes less is more :)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12512 on: November 10, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #12513 on: November 10, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »
Last year work took this hard-ass stance towards outages towards their virtual work-from-home reps. They claim too many people were abusing the outage status ("oops! I can't work today, I have no internet!"). They made us responsible for covering it with our banks of PTO (paid time off) or UPT (unpaid time off). Now if you don't have the time on the books to cover your outtage, you could get a write-up. They figure this will make employees less inclined to burn through their available time if they think "Oh no. I better set something aside in case a storm knocks me out.".

My PTO is already gone and my UPT was down to an hour and a half. That's cool. I'll just pray no storm knocks me out between now and December.

Fate, being the fickle cunt that she is, knocked my power out last Thursday during a minor wind storm. Came back 45 minutes later. Now I have like 15 minutes on the books.

Supervisors have been guilt tripping us to sign up for overtime recently. I don't do overtime. I'm not that "customer-centric". Sorry.

However, for every 4 hours of overtime you do, you get one hour of unpaid time off. My supervisor is like "lol now you'll have to get in some OT". I just linked my latest purchase to her:

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-42436-1500-Watt/dp/B009E26LLC

Along with "lol nope".

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #12514 on: November 10, 2014, 12:43:56 PM »
you get compensated for the cost of that generator, right?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #12515 on: November 10, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »
you get compensated for the cost of that generator, right?

I'm going to write it off on my taxes as a business expense. That's for sure.  :)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #12516 on: November 10, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
Last year work took this hard-ass stance towards outages towards their virtual work-from-home reps. They claim too many people were abusing the outage status ("oops! I can't work today, I have no internet!"). They made us responsible for covering it with our banks of PTO (paid time off) or UPT (unpaid time off). Now if you don't have the time on the books to cover your outtage, you could get a write-up. They figure this will make employees less inclined to burn through their available time if they think "Oh no. I better set something aside in case a storm knocks me out.".

My PTO is already gone and my UPT was down to an hour and a half. That's cool. I'll just pray no storm knocks me out between now and December.

Fate, being the fickle cunt that she is, knocked my power out last Thursday during a minor wind storm. Came back 45 minutes later. Now I have like 15 minutes on the books.

Supervisors have been guilt tripping us to sign up for overtime recently. I don't do overtime. I'm not that "customer-centric". Sorry.

However, for every 4 hours of overtime you do, you get one hour of unpaid time off. My supervisor is like "lol now you'll have to get in some OT". I just linked my latest purchase to her:

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-42436-1500-Watt/dp/B009E26LLC

Along with "lol nope".
What if power to the ISP hub or server is down as well ???
:o

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #12517 on: November 10, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
Still on us. Yeah, it's not cool and many of us are pissed. Not much we can do, though.

I mean, if THEIR VPN goes down it's not on us. If it's a widespread outage, no. Only individual outages.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #12518 on: November 10, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »
Still on us. Yeah, it's not cool and many of us are pissed. Not much we can do, though.

I mean, if THEIR VPN goes down it's not on us. If it's a widespread outage, no. Only individual outages.
I'd keep a log on those just in case they try to screw you out of your time anyway.. :o

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #12519 on: November 10, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »

I smell potential class action. I imagine Amazon has a pretty shrewd legal department though.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12520 on: November 10, 2014, 05:16:52 PM »
Couldn't find the latest Gift Ideas thread.

I am looking for a software I can buy (not too expensive, less than $50) for my Mom's latop. So that my Dad can use to record himself playing his guitar, and burn a CD. He's got good microphones, but not sure how he hooks them to the computer (we had an old desktop years ago with software that he could use). Probably want to do a little editing on it, just to cut it and make it sound better.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4643
« Reply #12521 on: November 10, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »

I am looking for a software I can buy (not too expensive, less than $50) for my Mom's latop. So that my Dad can use to record himself playing his guitar, and burn a CD. He's got good microphones, but not sure how he hooks them to the computer (we had an old desktop years ago with software that he could use). Probably want to do a little editing on it, just to cut it and make it sound better.

I'd suggest Audacity... but it's free, so not much of a 'gift'.  [Unless the gift is you setting it up for him and teaching him how to use it, of course. :) ]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #12522 on: November 10, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »

Maybe this?
http://www.amazon.com/Acoustica-AC86347-Mixcraft-Home-Studio/dp/B009GGE5PA

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12523 on: November 11, 2014, 05:56:47 AM »
She loved the space suit, and the photo shoot went really well. I'll post some pictures when my buddy is done processing them.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4473
« Reply #12524 on: November 11, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »
Bill's doing an AMA on Reddit.  Thursday at 3pm ET.