login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785254 times)

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #11895 on: September 02, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »
There's a billboard I drive past nearly every day advertising band instruments at a music store (and next to a strip club, oddly enough) that I can never see without it reminding me of Mr. B. Natural (there's even a boy on it playing a trumpet who looks kind of like Buzz).

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11896 on: September 02, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
I'm with Miku Fan-san. Pop (sorry: soda) kind of grosses me out now. These days I order canisters of Lipton lemon Ice Tea mix from you-know-who and pop a caffeine pill now and again to fend off the headaches.

Unky Des

« Reply #11897 on: September 02, 2014, 05:27:59 PM »
I've found that once you've gone through a few bottles of Polish Spyritus that vodka really doesn;t cut it any more.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #11898 on: September 02, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »
There's nothing really wrong with diet soda... the aspertane crazies are... crazy.

Sorry, but you are wrong.  It adversely affects the brain (as it mimics one of the neurotransmitters), and artificial sweeteners alter the way the body recognizes and processes pretty much any kind of food.  The 'research' which throws these into question is funded by the companies themselves (who are very selective about letting out only the results showing things are OK).

Many/most of the statements made in this have links to their sources, but I don't have the capacity to copy them all over here.
4 Reasons Why "Diet" Beverages Won't Help You Lose Weight

July 29, 2013 10:00 am

This post was written by Daniel G. Amen, MD

3 Reasons Why “Diet” Beverages Won’t Help You Lose Weight Big name food and beverage companies spend millions of dollars on advertisements to make you believe that their low-calorie, synthetic sweeteners and flavors will solve all of your weight-loss woes. The truth is:

The obesity epidemic gets worse every year!

2/3 of Americans are now overweight.
    Childhood obesity has increased 800% since 1982.

New Research: Diet Soda Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up To Be

A new 14-year study of 66,118 women published by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that:

Drinking artificially-sweetened beverages did not lower the risk for developing type 2 diabetes when compared to regular sugar-sweetened beverages. (1)

Additionally, a behavioral neuroscientist at Purdue recently reviewed a number of previously performed studies to determine whether drinking diet sodas over the long-term will increase the likelihood that a person will overeat, gain weight and then develop other health problems. She found that:

People who drank artificially sweetened soda were more likely to experience weight gain than those who drank regular soda.
    Those who drank diet soda had twice the risk of developing metabolic syndrome (related to diabetes and cardiovascular disease). (2)

4 Reasons Why “Diet” Beverages Won’t Help You Lose Weight:

1. Extreme Sweeteners Trigger Food Addiction:

Sweets are mood foods, plain and simple.
    Synthetic sweeteners are 200 to 600 times sweeter than sugar.
    Extreme sweeteners activate intense cravings and make it VERY HARD to stay away from the foods that are bad for you (sugar and refined carbohydrates).

2. Calorie Swapping:
Drinking diet beverages may lead to calorie swapping:

This is the idea that you have “saved on liquid calories”, so why not go ahead and order that dessert, eat the french fries, the cookie, potato chips, etc.

3. Increased Insulin – the Fat Storage Hormone:
Insulin is produced by the body to push glucose (sugar) into the cells to be used as energy.

A study from 2013 showed that artificial sweeteners such as sucralose trick your metabolism into thinking that sugar is on the way.
    This causes your body to (unnecessarily) pump out insulin, which increases fat storage.

4. Food Coloring:
Diet soda and “flavored water enhancers” are loaded full of synthetic colors in addition to sweeteners.

A 1994 study linked synthetic colors to an increase in restlessness, irritability and sleep disturbances in children.
    Getting fewer than 7 hours of sleep at night is associated with lower blood flow to the brain, more cravings and more fat on your body.
    I suggest that you avoid foods and drinks with synthetic food colors for optimal brain health.

High fructose corn syrup (used to sweeten 'sugar' sodas; they haven't been sweetened with sugar cane in decades) is more dangerous to the overall body, but with limited effects on the brain.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11899 on: September 02, 2014, 05:41:26 PM »
High fructose corn syrup (used to sweeten 'sugar' sodas; they haven't been sweetened with sugar cane in decades) is more dangerous to the overall body, but with limited effects on the brain.

There was a privately owned Dr. Pepper plant down in Texas ("Dublin Dr Pepper") that used pure cane sugar up until a couple years ago. You had to special order it. If you did, you'd understood what pop has become since high fructose corn syrup was used.

Eventually, after years of court battle, they caved to the big mega-corp.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #11900 on: September 02, 2014, 08:11:39 PM »
HAHAHAHA!!!! Yes, I remember this wonderful quote from the movie "Bobby" about Robert Kennedy... a Mexican in the kitchen said, "I didn't jump the border, the border JUMPED ME!"

My wife is Mexican, and her Mexican father lives with us. I have an affinity for their plight. Most of Texas was once Mexico, until some white man said it wasn't.

Now, I don't wanna mess with Texans, cuz they are mean! I'm jus' sayin' it was a good line...

I've known a few immigrants from Mexico....legal and illegal. As far as my experience
goes, Mexicans are a very cool people. Nice, friendly, quick to share, love to party and hard working.  Great people, and a great country...with some big problems.   Obviously, they are not the only great country with big problems.

My favorite (illegal) was a neighbor, 10 or so years ago.  He had his truck painted. On the side of his truck, was this huge mural, oh him being busted by the Tennessee Highway Patrol. His truck is pulled over, you can see him doing a face palm, cop looking at him. It was hilarious.  He said if he got pulled over, the cops would roar with laughter at the painting, and let him go.  Smart idea!

My best friends from Mexico were legal immigrants. Especially Alex. Actually, Alex is American, his parents were immigrants. Anyway, we'd go to his grandfather's house, drink tequila and eat home grown peppers.  Grand father could party!  Fun times.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #11901 on: September 02, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »
It seems as if our brains are wired to enjoy food that we eat frequently because it's readily available and in abundance.  Which is quite a useful survival trait. Imagine if our 'tastes' and opinions on foods were permanent, then all of a sudden the only thing you can find to eat are bananas and roots for four weeks straight. If you didn't like eating bananas or roots you'd die.  But instead we grow to like what we are forced to eat.

To an extent anyway. The body also understands the nutritional importance of diversity in our diet and will get sick of something after a while.

But these are just musing based on nothing scientific. I hate coffe, alcohol, and carbonation, but I willingly admit that I'd probably love them if I drank them every other day for a few months.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11902 on: September 02, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »
I have to wonder just how many artificial sweeteners have been scientifically shown to increase insulin production?

While a few do have the proper external structures that I could imagine them setting off the same blood sugar receptors as a glucose molecule,  some like Aspartame are so very different I don't see how they could.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11903 on: September 03, 2014, 12:39:03 AM »
I'm with Miku Fan-san. Pop (sorry: soda) kind of grosses me out now. These days I order canisters of Lipton lemon Ice Tea mix from you-know-who and pop a caffeine pill now and again to fend off the headaches.

I love brewed tea. That lipton mix shit is...repulsive.

My blood is now pure Lipton tea powder. Remember Karl Ruprecht Kroenen from Hellboy? Same deal.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11904 on: September 03, 2014, 01:45:42 AM »
For Don RVRII and Don Randy...some Miku in Mexico.  It's not an official show (its legal and all, just not official) so the production isn't  high. But, it's great!  Wish I was there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVbivqs0HfA

ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11905 on: September 03, 2014, 06:40:35 AM »
For Don RVRII and Don Randy...some Miku in Mexico.  It's not an official show (its legal and all, just not official) so the production isn't  high. But, it's great!  Wish I was there:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oVbivqs0HfA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oVbivqs0HfA</a>
:o

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #11906 on: September 03, 2014, 07:22:23 AM »

So far I've just been assuming that Miku was an anime character I was unaware of because I lost track of most anime that came out after 1998 or so.  Is she mainly a holographic singer then?
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11907 on: September 03, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »
HAHAHAHA!!!! Yes, I remember this wonderful quote from the movie "Bobby" about Robert Kennedy... a Mexican in the kitchen said, "I didn't jump the border, the border JUMPED ME!"

My wife is Mexican, and her Mexican father lives with us. I have an affinity for their plight. Most of Texas was once Mexico, until some white man said it wasn't.

Now, I don't wanna mess with Texans, cuz they are mean! I'm jus' sayin' it was a good line...

Hey, I'm a Texan and I'm a passive-aggressive wuss. Of course, I am a serious anomaly here. As for the "Mexican dilemma" in Texas, I've never understood why all the rednecks are freaking out about the Mexicans "taking over". As I see it, we took it from them in the first place, they're just taking it back.

Never understood the "speak English" issue, either. Just because the majority of people in the US speak English now, it doesn't mean that will always be the case, what with being a country built by immigrants. Then again, Texans have a predominately conservative mindset that fears change and the unknown. "I don't understand it, kill it!"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:38:08 AM by MSTJedi »

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11908 on: September 03, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »

So far I've just been assuming that Miku was an anime character I was unaware of because I lost track of most anime that came out after 1998 or so.  Is she mainly a holographic singer then?

Yep!  She's a software program.  You type in the words, arrange the melody, effects, etc, and she sings.   Here's a link to 1 song from an official concert.  The production is much better.    This was the first Miku song I saw.  I sent this link to everyone I knew.  Only one person bothered to reply and she said, "That's the most horrifying thing I have seen in a long tme." LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxhCKWGfmS4
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:01:00 PM by Miku Fan »
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11909 on: September 03, 2014, 01:05:28 PM »
So she's kind of like a Teddy Ruxpin? Could I make her Megadeath?