login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1789469 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #11715 on: August 22, 2014, 03:48:49 PM »
Yeah!  I don't need disembodied voices over a show to point out when things are funny...

But really, we aren't the demographic for the laugh track. No one would say they 'like' a laugh track, but it does do it's subconscious job quite well when it doesn't outright annoy the viewer. For example, try imagining a talk show like the Colbert report without the studio audience. It'd feel drastically different.

Very true. Another example I can think of is Red Dwarf. If I recall correctly, one or two of the later seasons were done with no laugh track, and the whole show just felt... off, somehow. However irritable the laugh track can be on most shows, or however "insulting" the very concept is, some shows just make it work (while still being totally fantastic shows) and wouldn't be the same without it. Returning to British TV, when one looks at Red Dwarf, Monty Python, or Fawlty Towers, I think each of them would lose something with the tracks removed.

Python and Fawlty Towers had live audiences. To me, a live audience laughing isn't quite the same as a laugh track.   I haven't seen Red Dwarf.  I need to look for it.

True, and I'd actually be willing to bet that Red Dwarf's was live as well. Although honestly all laugh tracks sorta blend together for me.

Meanwhile, do check out Red Dwarf when you get the chance, it's an excellent show.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #11716 on: August 22, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
Yeah!  I don't need disembodied voices over a show to point out when things are funny...

But really, we aren't the demographic for the laugh track. No one would say they 'like' a laugh track, but it does do it's subconscious job quite well when it doesn't outright annoy the viewer. For example, try imagining a talk show like the Colbert report without the studio audience. It'd feel drastically different.

Very true. Another example I can think of is Red Dwarf. If I recall correctly, one or two of the later seasons were done with no laugh track, and the whole show just felt... off, somehow. However irritable the laugh track can be on most shows, or however "insulting" the very concept is, some shows just make it work (while still being totally fantastic shows) and wouldn't be the same without it. Returning to British TV, when one looks at Red Dwarf, Monty Python, or Fawlty Towers, I think each of them would lose something with the tracks removed.

Python and Fawlty Towers had live audiences. To me, a live audience laughing isn't quite the same as a laugh track.   I haven't seen Red Dwarf.  I need to look for it.

True, and I'd actually be willing to bet that Red Dwarf's was live as well. Although honestly all laugh tracks sorta blend together for me.

Meanwhile, do check out Red Dwarf when you get the chance, it's an excellent show.

I know what you mean. I used to think Python had a laugh track, until I saw some behind the scene clips somewhere. Yes, will look for Red Dwarf- I've heard it mentioned a number of times. I need to heed everyone's advice and finally check it out.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #11717 on: August 22, 2014, 06:20:10 PM »

The first six seasons were definitely live audience. Don't think season seven was.

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #11718 on: August 22, 2014, 10:52:04 PM »
I'm oddly disappointed that this movie isn't about that Norman (I recorded it off of Turner Classic Movies once mainly for the cameo appearance by Mad Magazine and Groo artist Sergio Aragones):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074973/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #11719 on: August 22, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »
I'm oddly disappointed that this movie isn't about that Norman (I recorded it off of Turner Classic Movies once mainly for the cameo appearance by Mad Magazine and Groo artist Sergio Aragones):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074973/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

Wow, a Redd Foxx movie? I had no idea! 
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #11720 on: August 23, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »
If you search Google Images for "coughing", it looks like a bunch of people are giving blowjobs to an invisible man.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #11721 on: August 23, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »
ooo, i want you,
i don't know if i need you,
but, ooo, i'd die to find out.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Unky Des

« Reply #11722 on: August 23, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »
Watching the Mr B  Natural short for the 54^R th time and realizing that Betty Shine really REALLY sucks.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #11723 on: August 24, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »
My wife is watching Gilmore Girls.  They don't breathe on that show.  It's just linelinelinelinelinelineline, as if the characters were afraid that if there was ever a moment of silence they'd break for commercial and stop existing.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #11724 on: August 24, 2014, 10:12:23 AM »
My wife is watching Gilmore Girls.  They don't breathe on that show.  It's just linelinelinelinelinelineline, as if the characters were afraid that if there was ever a moment of silence they'd break for commercial and stop existing.

Makes you think the same people then went on to make Twilight.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #11725 on: August 24, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »
I'm not doing that ice bucket thing.

Me neither. I am also not donating money because I don't have any.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #11726 on: August 24, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »

My wife loves "Gilmore Girls" and I must admit, it grew on me and now I love it, too. You can't be married for 30 years and not share things like this. I mean, she loves "Battlestar Galactica", too!

D'oh.... I'm a fem-bot...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #11727 on: August 24, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »

Makes you think the same people then went on to make Twilight.

How so?  One of the Gilmore girls could recite an entire Shakespeare play inside one of Bella's awkward pauses.   

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #11728 on: August 24, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »
I love "Buffy" and "Angel" too, also Sarah McClachlan, and Tracy Chapman. I am a woman.

Even my big gay friend Bob says I'm a fem...

I like baseball!!! Does that count?
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11729 on: August 24, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »
I'm not doing that ice bucket thing.
Eh, I'd do it if someone nominated me. But for now I just enjoy watching the videos.