login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1804243 times)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #11700 on: August 19, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
Love me some Fraiser.  That has a laugh track.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11701 on: August 19, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »
I don't watch any sitcom with a laugh track.

Was that in response to Anais?

No. Her statement triggered the random thought that ultimately led to my post, though.

It was like "Always Sunny">sitcoms>laughtracks. If that makes sense.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11702 on: August 19, 2014, 05:41:25 PM »
Totally. Just making sure you weren't denying yourself a great show because you thought the laughtrack would put you off. :)
FINE

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #11703 on: August 19, 2014, 06:18:41 PM »
I don't watch any sitcom with a laugh track.

Was that in response to Anais? Always Sunny doesn't have a laugh track.

I prefer no laugh track, but I do love The Muppet Show and I like MASH quite a lot. And a couple of shows with live audiences, like The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Seinfeld...

M*A*S*H actually has the option on the DVD's to turn off the laughtrack. I really recommend that, it makes the humour a lot more depressing.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11704 on: August 20, 2014, 03:25:42 AM »
The BBC generally showed the version of M*A*S*H without the laugh track, I remember that onc they showed the other version and, well first it was really weird since I wasn't aware a laugh track version also existed, but secondly I wasn't alone in that because they received a ton of complaints.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #11705 on: August 20, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »
Yea, I'm surprised the laugh track hasn't died out. Does anyone really like the laugh track? I remember watching Full House and it having not only an absurd laugh track, but also the woooo, and the ooooh track.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #11706 on: August 20, 2014, 03:32:47 PM »
Yea, I'm surprised the laugh track hasn't died out. Does anyone really like the laugh track? I remember watching Full House and it having not only an absurd laugh track, but also the woooo, and the ooooh track.

If you watch some old shows, e.g., MASH and Andy Griffith, you'll see they all use the SAME laugh track. That always bothered me.   The only tracks I like are Rifftrax.  I hope that wasn't too "kiss-uppy."
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11707 on: August 20, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »

If you watch some old shows, e.g., MASH and Andy Griffith, you'll see they all use the SAME laugh track. That always bothered me.   The only tracks I like are Rifftrax.  I hope that wasn't too "kiss-uppy."
BOOOOOOOOOOO
It WAS too kiss-uppy.  :speechless: Man,  I got busted VERY fast!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11708 on: August 20, 2014, 03:52:15 PM »
I've seen interviews where the people that made MASH have said they never wanted the laugh track, but it was forced on them by the network.  And they really had to fight for the few episodes that didn't have it.

Many of those laugh tracks were recorded in the 50s, as the decades went by and they kept reusing them, the joke was that most of the people laughing at shows were dead.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #11709 on: August 20, 2014, 04:55:27 PM »

BOOOOOOOOOOO
It WAS too kiss-uppy.  :speechless: Man,  I got busted VERY fast!

If it helps, I was saying Boo-urns.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11710 on: August 20, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »
Sack up man.  You were right to do that.  No one likes a kiss ass!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11711 on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »
Laugh tracks blow. Always hated them.  I can see them being used for kids' shows, but other than that, they blow.  There.  I said it. :D
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #11712 on: August 21, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
Yeah!  I don't need disembodied voices over a show to point out when things are funny...

But really, we aren't the demographic for the laugh track. No one would say they 'like' a laugh track, but it does do it's subconscious job quite well when it doesn't outright annoy the viewer. For example, try imagining a talk show like the Colbert report without the studio audience. It'd feel drastically different. 

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11713 on: August 22, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
Yeah!  I don't need disembodied voices over a show to point out when things are funny...

But really, we aren't the demographic for the laugh track. No one would say they 'like' a laugh track, but it does do it's subconscious job quite well when it doesn't outright annoy the viewer. For example, try imagining a talk show like the Colbert report without the studio audience. It'd feel drastically different.

Very true. Another example I can think of is Red Dwarf. If I recall correctly, one or two of the later seasons were done with no laugh track, and the whole show just felt... off, somehow. However irritable the laugh track can be on most shows, or however "insulting" the very concept is, some shows just make it work (while still being totally fantastic shows) and wouldn't be the same without it. Returning to British TV, when one looks at Red Dwarf, Monty Python, or Fawlty Towers, I think each of them would lose something with the tracks removed.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11714 on: August 22, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »

Very true. Another example I can think of is Red Dwarf. If I recall correctly, one or two of the later seasons were done with no laugh track, and the whole show just felt... off, somehow. However irritable the laugh track can be on most shows, or however "insulting" the very concept is, some shows just make it work (while still being totally fantastic shows) and wouldn't be the same without it. Returning to British TV, when one looks at Red Dwarf, Monty Python, or Fawlty Towers, I think each of them would lose something with the tracks removed.

Python and Fawlty Towers had live audiences. To me, a live audience laughing isn't quite the same as a laugh track.   I haven't seen Red Dwarf.  I need to look for it.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!