login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1788240 times)

Quantum Vagina

Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #11625 on: August 10, 2014, 08:18:55 PM »
sure, as long as you have access to it.  If your car breaks down in a north eastern winter and you aren't prepared, you are screwed.

And you're less fucked if you break down in 100+ degree heat without water or help?

As someone who's been in both situations, it's easier to warm yourself up in the cold than it is to cool yourself down in the heat.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #11626 on: August 10, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »
LOL!!! Swipe, you prick! I never liked you...

Anyways, Miku, your story about the desert, (on a horse with no name) was terrifying to me! That dry desert heat is scary. You don't even realize you are getting dehydrated... Thank the gods you were alright!

You're right.  Your sweat instantly evaporates and you just start feeling sick. Remember the sweat thing, next time you see some guy in a movie, in a desert, mopping his forehead.  Doesn't happen.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #11627 on: August 10, 2014, 08:23:12 PM »
Right, QV... I agree.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11628 on: August 10, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »
Depends on what the circumstances are.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

jonalame

« Reply #11629 on: August 10, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »
 I am currently working masonry in Florida. It's August. On particularly hot days the crew improvises shade with tarps and scaffolding and we drink lots of water. In the winter, on particularly cold days, we don't work. There is my two cents.

Randy, this thread is like your natural habitat. You're thriving in your element here.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #11630 on: August 10, 2014, 08:44:04 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by that, Jonalame... but I'll take it as a compliment.

Man, working in Florida humidity, that must be hell... There were days in Florida where it hurt to breathe it was so hot and humid... I was on vacation so I could just sit in a bar... but I can't imagine dong manual labour there!

You are a better man than I!

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11631 on: August 10, 2014, 08:58:33 PM »
This is starting to sound like something Mythbusters should test, do you die faster in the heat or the cold....

For the most extreme cases of being unprepared:

For heat being unprepared means no water, but you might be able to find shade, and you get relief at night, you should be able to survive a day without water if you sit and wait for rescue.

For cold if you don't have proper clothing and a way to start a fire you are dead, the colder it is the faster you go.  If there is a snow or ice storm you are probably not going to be rescued in time.

Being unprepared for the cold is more stupid than forgetting water, you should always be prepared to be out of your car at the very least long enough to change a flat tire.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #11632 on: August 10, 2014, 09:11:42 PM »
Actually, in most desert climates, it gets very cold at night. It's like an alien world. Also, it is still very dry, sucking the moisture from your body, much like Dracula would suck your blood, (that's science!).

So, it's a double whammy, there. The best thing to do is live in a nice temperate climate.

Speaking of Jersey, do you know why California has all the lawyers and Jersey has all the toxic waste dumps? Cuz Jersey got to pick first.

jonalame

« Reply #11633 on: August 10, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
I am currently working masonry in Florida. It's August. On particularly hot days the crew improvises shade with tarps and scaffolding and we drink lots of water. In the winter, on particularly cold days, we don't work. There is my two cents.

Randy, this thread is like your natural habitat. You're thriving in your element here.

That's because you're in Florida. If you didn't work on hot days you'd never work.

They make these for a reason:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_clothing-work-wear+bibs-coveralls+insulated-bib-coveralls

Yeah, Im, they make them for Northern tools.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11634 on: August 11, 2014, 09:01:49 AM »
Just received this message from our part time girl via FB..
Sending you a quick message by text because I don't want to talk on the phone while it's raining. It took me longer to get to mom's house than I expected because of the rain, I am on my way will be there in a few minutes but not at 12.
Um.. Wouldn't it be safer to talk on the phone with the speaker on than text while driving ???
Maybe I'm missing something here :-\

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11635 on: August 11, 2014, 09:11:01 AM »
Sending you a quick message by text because I don't want to talk on the phone while it's raining. It took me longer to get to mom's house than I expected because of the rain, I am on my way will be there in a few minutes but not at 12.
Um.. Wouldn't it be safer to talk on the phone with the speaker on than text while driving ???

Translation: Sending you a text, because I don't want to answer uncomfortable questions...
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #11636 on: August 11, 2014, 09:26:45 AM »

Translation: Sending you a text, because I don't want to answer uncomfortable questions...
ooooo :o

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11637 on: August 11, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
This is starting to sound like something Mythbusters should test, do you die faster in the heat or the cold....

For the most extreme cases of being unprepared:

For heat being unprepared means no water, but you might be able to find shade, and you get relief at night, you should be able to survive a day without water if you sit and wait for rescue.

For cold if you don't have proper clothing and a way to start a fire you are dead, the colder it is the faster you go.  If there is a snow or ice storm you are probably not going to be rescued in time.

Being unprepared for the cold is more stupid than forgetting water, you should always be prepared to be out of your car at the very least long enough to change a flat tire.

Marty,
      I saw on some show about survival years ago. They talked about the "rule of three," which pertains to cold weather survival.  You can survive 3 weeks without food. 3 days without water. 3 hours without shelter.

As for desert survival, it may depend on the desert. In some deserts, you can find water, like in a cactus.  But, if you are in a desert that is filled with Joshua trees, you aren't going to get water or shade from that.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #11638 on: August 11, 2014, 10:16:43 AM »
Three weeks without a burger?!? Or a burrito?!?!? I don't think I would last three hours... LOL!!!

Yes, I used to watch "Survivorman" marathons and he did shows in deserts and arctic climates. My wife and I would always shout at the screen "GET OUTTA THERE, YOU WIERDO!" He voluntarily put himself in terrible situations!

I think the worst was a Louisiana swamp. The mud beneath his feet was actually roiling with chiggers and grubs and horrors of every sort. Spiders as big as your fist. Alligators, listeria, horrible bacterium.... I still have nightmares about that episode...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #11639 on: August 11, 2014, 10:18:27 AM »
Three weeks without a burger?!? Or a burrito?!?!? I don't think I would last three hours... LOL!!!
Me neither! :speechless: