Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1791538 times)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #11175 on: July 01, 2014, 09:02:57 PM »
No, I am pretty sure he is not all powerful either.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11176 on: July 01, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »

So you think he doesn't have enough say to not include racist or homophobic characters in his film?
FINE

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11177 on: July 01, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »
Yes, it is entirely possible the studio execs will not let him alter the story or force them to rewrite scripts.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11178 on: July 01, 2014, 09:08:36 PM »

So you think he doesn't have enough say to not include racist or homophobic characters in his film?
Not to mention the fact that the Transformers movie that had the most racist characters WAS THE ONE HE WROTE because of the writers strike.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11179 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:27 PM »
He didnt write RoTF.  If you are referring to the twins, that's a stupid argument anyway.  They were annoying, not racist.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11180 on: July 01, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
He didnt write RoTF.  If you are referring to the twins, that's a stupid argument anyway.  They were annoying, not racist.

a) they WERE racist

b) He was involved in writing, he wasn't the sole writer, but he was involved.

Screenwriting was interrupted by the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike, but to avoid production delays, the writers spent two weeks writing a treatment, which they handed in the night before the strike began. Bay then expanded the outline into a 60-page scriptment, which included more action, humor, and characters. The three writers spent four months finishing the screenplay while "locked" in two hotel rooms by Bay; Kruger wrote in his own room and the trio would check on each other's work twice a day.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11181 on: July 01, 2014, 09:21:37 PM »
Yes, it is entirely possible the studio execs will not let him alter the story or force them to rewrite scripts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK9sqPQWGxI

You don't have to alter story arcs to take the word 'homo' out of a script.
FINE

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11182 on: July 01, 2014, 09:22:26 PM »
It pretty vague description.  Regardless, they are still not racist.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11183 on: July 01, 2014, 09:30:55 PM »
It pretty vague description.  Regardless, they are still not racist.

A vague description OF HIM WRITING. Yes.

And they are.  Here's the two credited writers agreeing the characters are offensive and that it was Michael Bay's doing: http://filmschoolrejects.com/news/orci-and-kurtzman-respond-to-claims-of-racism-in-transformers-2.php

http://www.slashfilm.com/no-one-wants-to-own-up-to-racism-in-transformers/

And they are far from the only problematic characters in his films.
FINE

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11184 on: July 01, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »
It doesn't say exactly what he wrote, it just says he expanded on the writing.  Who knows how much of that even got into the final script.  As for the racism, if they have characteristics that can be applied to ANY race it is pretty racist to think they are black stereotypes only.  I am positive most people have seen white guys act the same way.  I have personally seen tons of white guys, black guys, asians, and latinos who all act similarly.

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #11185 on: July 01, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »
I don't know a thing about Bay as a person.  I try not to know a lot about Hollywood folk.  Having a dislike for the person can cloud one's opinion of their art (or craft).  Knowing too much about Alec Baldwin and Mel Gibson certainly impacts my opinion of their work negatively.

Bay is just a really bad director, who directs his actors in film after film to behave in ways that normal human beings don't behave.  He is also unable to direct a scene that can evoke anything resembling real human emotion. 

Years ago, I posted a short review of Armageddon on a USENET board - I was, at that point, just finding out who Bay was - and I couldn't believe how he utterly failed to get me to suspend disbelief for even a moment in the film, or even care what happened to the characters.  He has actually gotten worse.

So, maybe he is a reprobate in his personal life.  I won't go looking to find reasons to dislike him personally, as I am content to just hate his art.  His movies go farther than just minor annoyances and plot discrepancies;  they insult the viewer's intelligence and present images that are bordering on traumatic.  They hurt on a deep, existential level.  Why?  Why?, I ask you, why did John Turturro drop his pants and expose that he was wearing a jock strap.  Why did he drop his pants?  There was no plot related reason for him to drop his pants!  And why a jock strap?!  For the love of all that is decent and good, why?  Why?  WHY?

WWWWWWHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11186 on: July 01, 2014, 09:47:28 PM »
Why?  Why?, I ask you, why did John Turturro drop his pants and expose that he was wearing a jock strap.  Why did he drop his pants?  There was no plot related reason for him to drop his pants!  And why a jock strap?!  For the love of all that is decent and good, why?  Why?  WHY?

That was Turturros idea, you would have to ask him.  The real question is why Bay would keep it in the movie?

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #11187 on: July 01, 2014, 09:54:37 PM »
Why?  Why?, I ask you, why did John Turturro drop his pants and expose that he was wearing a jock strap.  Why did he drop his pants?  There was no plot related reason for him to drop his pants!  And why a jock strap?!  For the love of all that is decent and good, why?  Why?  WHY?

That was Turturros idea, you would have to ask him.  The real question is why Bay would keep it in the movie?
Good directors don't keep bad ideas in their movies. 

There was a riff in which Kevin claimed the movie was hurting his soul.  (It actually may have been a Transformers movie.)  That's how I feel about Bay's "work".

I chose the wrong lifetime to give up drinking...

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #11188 on: July 01, 2014, 10:03:06 PM »
I certainly did not mean to start a war on the forums... I was just posting a link because I'm dead to rights tired of the idea that Bay should be punished more harshly than anyone else for being a complete ass.

I think it's pretty safe to say that since this argument is spanning multiple pages, it's left the realm of completely random thoughts, and thus, doesn't belong in this thread.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11189 on: July 01, 2014, 10:18:54 PM »
I think it's pretty safe to say that since this argument is spanning multiple pages, it's left the realm of completely random thoughts, and thus, doesn't belong in this thread.

I agree.

Next person to mention Michael Bay on this forum is banned for life. :)
FINE