login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1790374 times)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10980 on: June 22, 2014, 12:28:54 AM »
Okay, so dig this: I have this sweet new box air conditioner.

However, I have a horizontally opening window. As indicated by the gold boxes below, I have this space above the unit:

Does anyone have any ideas for covering the top half? Besides a plywood board, I mean.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #10981 on: June 22, 2014, 12:47:36 AM »

However, I have a horizontally opening window. As indicated by the gold boxes below, I have this space above the unit:

Does anyone have any ideas for covering the top half? Besides a plywood board, I mean.

Had the same problem. Ended up cutting a piece of plywood to fit the gap around the AC unit and screwing in a flat metal bar to the metal frame of the window to support the top of the AC. It's not perfect or pretty (we did paint the board white to help a little), but it gets the job done.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10982 on: June 22, 2014, 01:20:56 AM »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Had the same problem. Ended up cutting a piece of plywood to fit the gap around the AC unit and screwing in a flat metal bar to the metal frame of the window to support the top of the AC. It's not perfect or pretty (we did paint the board white to help a little), but it gets the job done.

That's cool. I appreciate it. And I'll probably end up doing the same, eventually. I was toying with the idea of cut glass. Maybe glass bricks?

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #10983 on: June 22, 2014, 01:40:24 AM »

Do you have a poster of Rita Hayworth?

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10984 on: June 22, 2014, 01:48:54 AM »

Lembach crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. Five hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4649
« Reply #10985 on: June 22, 2014, 02:52:39 AM »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's cool. I appreciate it. And I'll probably end up doing the same, eventually. I was toying with the idea of cut glass. Maybe glass bricks?

You could fill it with the hopes and dreams of the masses.

If you will be living there a while, then glass bricks would likely look nice, as well as providing more insulation than plywood.  MSTJedi's got a great idea with a metal bar across the top of the A/C to support it, so it isn't reliant on whatever you fill the gap with to hold it in place (it frees up your options).

But if you end up going the plywood route, my suggestion would be two layers of plywood with something like a few layers of styrofoam insulative sheeting between them.  That way, you're basically matching (or exceeding) double-pane windows for insulation.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10986 on: June 22, 2014, 03:42:22 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dcVOKSJBYPQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dcVOKSJBYPQ</a>

Upon researching, I was sort of leaning towards this plan.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #10987 on: June 22, 2014, 05:08:11 AM »

Lembach crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. Five hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile.

You are crazy.  500 yards is 1500 ft.  Thats over 1000 ft shorter than a half a mile, which is 2640 ft.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10988 on: June 22, 2014, 05:16:53 AM »
Damn that prison, it not only robs people of their dignity, ability to deal with the world and their anal virginity, but also their distance estimation skills.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10989 on: June 22, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »

You are crazy.  500 yards is 1500 ft.  Thats over 1000 ft shorter than a half a mile, which is 2640 ft.

Are you trying to tell us that Morgan Freeman is wrong about something he said in a movie?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ch5MEJk5ZCQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ch5MEJk5ZCQ</a>

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #10990 on: June 22, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »
Shawshank, is one of those movies that, even if you've seen it a dozen times, even if you have it on DVD, when you are flipping through the cable channels, and it pops up, no matter where it is in the story, you have to watch it through.

For me, it is also "Apollo 13" or "The Perfect Storm".

For me, "The Perfect Storm", I always pray to myself, "...this time they will make it!!! DAMN that Ice machine!" But, that may just be me...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #10991 on: June 22, 2014, 02:47:21 PM »
I've never seen either Apollo 13 or the Perfect Storm.
Well! You need to get ON that, Imrahil!!! Holy jeeeezuz.... the boy ain't never seen "Apollo 13"-and "The Perfect Storm"?

Jeeeeezuz crimeny crackers! And you call yourself well read!?!?!

(LOL!)

Seriously. Good movies.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10992 on: June 22, 2014, 03:25:03 PM »
Spending warm summer days, indoors

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #10993 on: June 22, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
Worst haiku ever.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #10994 on: June 22, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
I thought it was a very good haiku.... actually.

Not to be disagreeable to YOU Swipe, who I greatly respect....