Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1791894 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10380 on: March 10, 2014, 01:48:49 PM »
I definitely don't agree with "enough Batman" but I'm all for getting other characters their own rightful space.

With 'enough Batman', I (I don't know about QV), was meaning "if there's only enough 'room' in the film-making for one or two films a year, there's other characters I'd rather see started, rather than having yet another Batman incarnation".

Yes, there's plenty to see with Batman - hell, thousands and thousands of stories in the last ~75 years have been written about the character.  But if there's limited numbers of DC comic-based films they can make any given year, there's such a rich variety of characters that could use screen time before diving into another Batman series.  That's what I meant.  [Right now I'm just not thinking and writing as clearly as I have before.]

Put that way, yeah I can get it.  I really wish more and more that they were taking their time building the cinematic universe like Marvel did.  I am still excited to see the new version of Batman, but I do think they could have waited a few years and built some more characters before reaching the guaranteed money that is another Bat-incarnation.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10381 on: March 10, 2014, 01:59:58 PM »
My day calendar tells me I should be wishing our Australian board members a happy "Eight Hours Day," "Canberra Day," "Labour Day" and "Commonwealth Day!" So happy those days, Australia! Also, what are those? (I mean, we have Labor day, too, so I'd guess that's pretty much the same thing, but what are the others?)

Haha, well Labor Day was last week here in Western Australia, it is just Victoria and Tasmania that celebrate it this week, though Tasmania calls it Eight Hour Day, which I didn't actually know myself until right now.

"The eight-hour day movement or 40-hour week movement, also known as the short-time movement, had its origins in the Industrial Revolution in Britain, where industrial production in large factories transformed working life. The use of child labour was common. The working day could range from 10 to 16 hours for six days a week." Here is how it works in with Australian history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-hour_day#Australia

Commonwealth Day isn't actually a holiday. I know it ties in to us hosting the Commonwealth Games.

Canberra Day is a public holiday only in Canberra, which is our capital, and it celebrates the naming ceremony of it.

Also, it's Adelaide Cup Day.

And it's just a regular day, here in Western Australia.
FINE

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #10382 on: March 10, 2014, 02:03:30 PM »
I definitely don't agree with "enough Batman" but I'm all for getting other characters their own rightful space.

With 'enough Batman', I (I don't know about QV), was meaning "if there's only enough 'room' in the film-making for one or two films a year, there's other characters I'd rather see started, rather than having yet another Batman incarnation".

Yes, there's plenty to see with Batman - hell, thousands and thousands of stories in the last ~75 years have been written about the character.  But if there's limited numbers of DC comic-based films they can make any given year, there's such a rich variety of characters that could use screen time before diving into another Batman series.  That's what I meant.  [Right now I'm just not thinking and writing as clearly as I have before.]

Put that way, yeah I can get it.  I really wish more and more that they were taking their time building the cinematic universe like Marvel did.  I am still excited to see the new version of Batman, but I do think they could have waited a few years and built some more characters before reaching the guaranteed money that is another Bat-incarnation.

For me, I'm genuinely sick of Batman. I'm tired of seeing him everywhere all the time. He's the only cash machine DC's really GOT, though, so I can't blame them for trotting that horse out of the barn when one of the others breaks it's leg. I think Superman should get a film where he actually gets to BE Superman. That's just me, though.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10383 on: March 10, 2014, 02:08:20 PM »

For me, I'm genuinely sick of Batman. I'm tired of seeing him everywhere all the time. He's the only cash machine DC's really GOT, though, so I can't blame them for trotting that horse out of the barn when one of the others breaks it's leg. I think Superman should get a film where he actually gets to BE Superman. That's just me, though.

It doesn't matter who they put in this next Super Man movie if it's going to be a dull as the last one.
FINE

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10384 on: March 10, 2014, 02:23:57 PM »
poodle frond box face.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4650
« Reply #10385 on: March 10, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »
Canberra Day is a public holiday only in Canberra, which is our capital, and it celebrates the naming ceremony of it.

Personally, I celebrate Capybara Day today.  YAY: GO HUGE RODENTIA!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:22:32 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10386 on: March 10, 2014, 02:49:21 PM »
or The Question possibly.
"Why are they making a movie with a character that rips off Rorschach?" -Just a quick prediction if a common response that would get.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #10387 on: March 10, 2014, 08:35:15 PM »
This one's directed at Lembach.

Do the support agents who do the online chat thing copy and paste EVERYTHING they say?

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #10388 on: March 10, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »
So I learned how to solve a 4x4x4 & a 5x5x5 , though I still need to look at the 'pairity' algorithms I have written down when finishing the solve, I haven't committed those to memory yet.
I also got one of those 'Perplexus' orbs, the twisty one . It's that thing where you roll the marble around a maze but in 3 dimensions. It's pretty cool. Oh and I got a stickerless Da Yan Zhanchi which is the best Rubik's cube money can buy (it was only $10 :P)

Travelling in the mail right now are the following twisty puzzles:
Pyraminx.
MegaMinx.
2x2x2.
Skewb. (This one reminds me of the 'Hellraiser' box, yay. :))

They are all taking a very long time to arrive except for the pyraminx which should be here in a couple days. I got one with white plastic instead of black but couldn't find a good pic so I posted the black one.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:39:09 PM by Malt Dismal »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #10389 on: March 10, 2014, 10:40:06 PM »
They are all taking a very long time to arrive except for the pyraminx which should be here in a couple days. I got one with white plastic instead of black but couldn't find a good pic so I posted the black one.

If the packages arrive with the puzzles all jumbled up and shoved angrily back into tattered packaging, then you'll know why it's taking so long.  Speaking of witch, ordering a bunch of logic puzzles is a good way to find out if anyone is reading your mail.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2646
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10390 on: March 10, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »
Oh and I got a stickerless Da Yan Zhanchi which is the best Rubik's cube money can buy (it was only $10 :P)

Hey, I got one of those last week also, it's almost too easy to turn, gets you in trouble sometimes.

I remember the stickers on the last cube I owned getting pretty ugly, that must be 35 years ago now...

The solution on the Rubik's Cube website (www.rubiks.com) is not bad, downloaded the pdf and have been doing some practicing to try and memorize that solution.  Up to usually being able to get 2 layers pretty easily. 

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10391 on: March 10, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »
I had that pyramid thing when I was young. Never ever liked logic puzzles, so I never even tried to solve it. I think I twisted some of the end pieces and made a "spaceship toy" out of it.

OMG so did I!

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #10392 on: March 11, 2014, 12:02:59 AM »
Perplexus are awesome.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3861
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10393 on: March 11, 2014, 05:32:09 AM »
I had a bunch of different shaped ones as well back in the 80's and not sure what happened to them after I went in the Navy..
My parents may/may not still have them at their place but seeing those pics almost makes me want to get a whole new set of them! :o

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10394 on: March 11, 2014, 06:48:01 AM »
MegaMinx.
So is this one considered Satanic by those moronic conservative Christian groups that like to complain about toys?