login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785106 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10185 on: February 20, 2014, 07:07:06 PM »
The other day I was looking at ideas people have had for new calendar structures, and I have to say I'm on board.

The International Fixed Calendar seems pretty cool.  There are 13 months of 28 days (or 4 weeks) each.  That means that every year and every month begins on a Sunday and ends on a Saturday.  The same date will always be on the same day of the week.  We wouldn't ever need to buy new calendars.

The extra month would be in the middle of Summer, and be called Sol.  Since 28 days x 12 months = 364 days, we would be one day short.  This missing day would be taken at the end of the year, and it wouldn't be included in the days of the week or in a month.  In all likelihood it would just be a crazy holiday.  Leap day would be added every 4  years and be treated the same way (but with Leap Day William, I assume).

I am perfectly happy with it being 2 Ventôse CCXXII, the way reason intended, thank you very much.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10186 on: February 21, 2014, 04:28:09 AM »
any time someone talks about changing a system--whether or not i agree with them--my mind immediately goes to: I'm not bored. I've had a really busy morning. I've devised a system to totally revolutionise music. Yeah, I've decimalised it. Instead of the octave, it's the decatave. And I've invented two new notes: H and J. Well I have. Now it goes: (Singing) Do Re Mi Fa So La Wo Bo Ti Do. Do Ti Bo Wo La So Fa Mi Re Do. Hollrock. It'll be a whole new sound. All the instruments will be extra big to incorporate my two new notes. Triangles will have four sides. Piano keyboards the length of zebra crossings. Course, women will have to be banned from playing the cello.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #10187 on: February 21, 2014, 06:19:14 AM »
Triangles with four sides? That is chaos.  Some people just want to watch the world burn.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #10188 on: February 21, 2014, 11:11:18 AM »
Triangles with four sides? That is chaos.  Some people just want to watch the world burn.
Anyone who thinks like that is a real square.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10189 on: February 21, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »
After over 2 hours on the phone with AT&T, I have all my contacts backed up from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 and restored onto my new Samsung Galaxy S4!
 :highfive:
Couldn't back them up onto my sim card because they use 2 different style sim cards so that was out.. Tried going through Blackberry's world app to back them up, and no-go.. We were down to either me driving 20 miles to the nearest AT&T store to have them transfered there, or me going through one-by-one and adding them back in :grr:

While on hold I just used their address book app to back them up but I didn't know if they would restore once the Galaxy was activated. And they did!
Why their tech support didn't know this and couldn't tell me to just backup my contacts using their AT&T Address Book app is beyond me but they've made a note of this for future reference ::)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:49:11 AM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10190 on: February 21, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »
Couldn't back them up onto my sim card because they use 2 different style sim cards so that was out..

That switch to micro sim cards hit me when I got my Samsung express (also on AT&T).  And since the old phone was wasn't a smart phone there was no app to do any transfers.  So I ended up using Google contacts, already had half of them on there so it wasn't too much to add a few more and update them all, then it was easy to transfer to the phone.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10191 on: February 21, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
Couldn't back them up onto my sim card because they use 2 different style sim cards so that was out..

That switch to micro sim cards hit me when I got my Samsung express (also on AT&T).  And since the old phone was wasn't a smart phone there was no app to do any transfers.  So I ended up using Google contacts, already had half of them on there so it wasn't too much to add a few more and update them all, then it was easy to transfer to the phone.
I remember it being a pain in the ass last time when I upgraded from the Bold 9000 to the Bold 9900 and I was appalled that it was such a fiasco then between two similar models of the same brand phone ???
Even using the same sim card, the contacts just wouldn't save but yeah the apps now seem to be able to handle this issue but the techs working the phones are apparently unaware of this :-\

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10192 on: February 21, 2014, 01:04:05 PM »

I remember it being a pain in the ass last time when I upgraded from the Bold 9000 to the Bold 9900 and I was appalled that it was such a fiasco then between two similar models of the same brand phone ???
Even using the same sim card, the contacts just wouldn't save but yeah the apps now seem to be able to handle this issue but the techs working the phones are apparently unaware of this :-\

Online chat or email does seem to work better these days.  Getting my Comcast HD DTA to stop skipping the HD channels only took about 10 minutes in chat, I've read people in forums saying they were on the phone forever with multiple people to get the same thing done, or still nothing done after multiple calls.

Email support can be spotty, if you can't explain the problem in one sentence at the top it's probably not worth trying, and forget about a second problem or question a few lines down in the email, it will get ignored most of the time.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10193 on: February 22, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
Wait, how do you put someone on ignore?
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10194 on: February 22, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »
 :o

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #10195 on: February 23, 2014, 12:23:36 AM »
I've been watching How The Universe Was Made today. If you don't think astronomy is the coolest fucking thing then you can get out of my face.  8)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10196 on: February 23, 2014, 04:15:30 PM »

Not sure if this was a joke, but it SHOULD be where you edit your 'buddy' list.

Not sure though, because I don't have the option, so I'm assuming that's because I'm a moderator, and I can't just put you all on ignore ;)

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Profile/en#Buddies.2FIgnore_List
FINE

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10197 on: February 23, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »

Not sure if this was a joke, but it SHOULD be where you edit your 'buddy' list.

Not sure though, because I don't have the option, so I'm assuming that's because I'm a moderator, and I can't just put you all on ignore ;)

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Profile/en#Buddies.2FIgnore_List

There is only the option to add to buddy list...

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10198 on: February 23, 2014, 05:55:36 PM »
go to the top of any of the pages, then click on "Profile", then "Modify Profile" > "Buddies/Ignore List…" > "Edit Ignore List"
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10199 on: February 23, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »
go to the top of any of the pages, then click on "Profile", then "Modify Profile" > "Buddies/Ignore List…" > "Edit Ignore List"

Thanks!