login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1789686 times)

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10110 on: February 11, 2014, 01:36:58 AM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have moments somewhat similar to this at times, I think we all do. For some reason I keep thinking about this one time in my first year of college. I was walking into the foreign languages study hall. There was this Russian girl sitting at a table all alone with the 'Russian' sign (though not printed in English) set in front of her. She was surely an exchange student, by my estimate anyway, and as I was curiously looking at the sign she noticed me walking straight towards her. She looked me right in the eye and sort of perked up a bit probably thinking I needed some tutoring. I was actually walking to the Japanese table nearby. She looked awfully lonely and I wanted to smile or say hi or something, but for some reason I just sort of panicked and sat down at my busy table.
An hour later after some studying, I tried to say or gesture something on my way out, but I didn't really know what to do or say. She was still sitting there alone, just sort of staring at her table. I didn't feel like it would be appropriate to go out of my way to get her attention, being a random stranger and all, so I just left. Whenever I think about it I regret not sitting down and learning some Russian.

I have things like this happen a lot though. Once I get to know someone I'm outgoing but I have a hard time approaching/starting conversations with random strangers...

Sorry if that's a bit much for this thread guys, I just felt for Lucas cause I sorta know what that's like to be in a somewhat similar situation.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:43:28 AM by Malt Dismal »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4648
« Reply #10111 on: February 11, 2014, 03:02:45 AM »
Thanks, Malt.  It is appreciated.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10112 on: February 11, 2014, 06:09:25 AM »
Can one "pop some tags" if the clothing is new? Because I don't buy used clothes.

I never even heard that expression until that Macklemore song was everywhere and I'm still not 100% sure what it means.

It means one is going to buy clothing.

Per Urban Dictionary:
When a cool dude goes shopping, the removal of the tags is a remarkable event. The whole shopping experience can be summarized by this defining moment. Literally, poppin' tags is removing tags typically after purchasing, but in a broader sense this phrase encompasses "going shopping."

So according to this, yes one can pop some tags if the clothes are new. I can't though because I am not a dude.

Sexist!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:12:08 AM by anais.butterfly »
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10113 on: February 11, 2014, 06:35:00 AM »
women's clothing doesn't have tags? ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10114 on: February 11, 2014, 07:34:50 AM »
women's clothing doesn't have tags? ???

No, it's more the idea that popping tags is a men's game.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #10115 on: February 11, 2014, 10:17:02 AM »
My brother's baby should be arriving today. I've been getting messages involving phrases like "mucus plug", which is not a thing I wanted to know existed.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #10116 on: February 11, 2014, 01:45:17 PM »
(I wrote this originally on Facebook. I try not to toot my own horn, but I thought this was halfway decent)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DXAva_gO8Qk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DXAva_gO8Qk</a>

I've wanted to write about this since I first saw this video; it really lays out just why Superman still resonates with people 75 years later. Now, there are lots of people (and I'm talking about people who are, by and large, genre fans of one kind or another; someone who as no interest in ANY kind of speculative fiction is not really relevant to this discussion) who bag on Superman, and are quick to point out how lame they find him. Putting aside, for the moment, that many of these people have mistaken their own cynicism for realism, and view the moral vision Superman represents as "hokey"; they're missing the point of what Superman taps into on a primal, almost genetic, level.

Those who are old enough might remember the tagline on the advertising for Superman: The Movie back in 1978: "You'll Believe A Man Can Fly." That may have been the most perfect way in which to advertise that film.

The desire to fly has been one of the constants of human ambition since the very idea of ambition entered the human brain. It has been one of the most animating impulses of our entire history, in terms both technological (Da Vinci's "flying machine" designs, for example) and cultural (the story of Icarus comes immediately to mind). We've speculated about it, we've fantasized about it, and, as many of the basics of engineering began to develop, we tried to do it.

Of course, in the last century, humanity managed to find a way to make it happen. Virtually all of the good things that happened for humanity in the 20th century were, in one way or another, offshoots of the the same basic thought: "Holy shit! We can fly!"

That thought has all but embedded itself in our DNA; but the aspiration remains. Having conquered the sky through human ingenuity, we now dream about the prospect of unassisted human flight. Alas, it's not likely to happen, but that DOESN'T STOP US FROM DREAMING ABOUT IT (literally; has anyone reading this NOT had a dream in which they were flying?). Superman, at his most basic, stripped down level, embodies that dream.

Look at the video again. That baby has NONE of the cultural touchstones that all of us have come to take for granted; he certainly has no preconceptions about Superman.

He just believes a man can fly.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:01:25 PM by gbeenie »
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10117 on: February 11, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
That was really well written. But don't you think that ignores everything else Supes stands for. Who he is as a superhero is much more important than the fact that he can fly. That baby could think that about any video of a person flying (can't Storm and Rogue fly?)

Supes is much much more than that.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #10118 on: February 11, 2014, 02:00:27 PM »
That was really well written. But don't you think that ignores everything else Supes stands for. Who he is as a superhero is much more important than the fact that he can fly. That baby could think that about any video of a person flying (can't Storm and Rogue fly?)

Oh, I agree totally. I was just focusing, in that instance, on the thing that makes him stick, particularly when you're a kid. And for virtually every other flying character in comics since, flying is treated in a rather blase fashion; maybe it's purely by virtue of having been first, but Superman embodies that sense of wonder at the prospect of flying far better than any who've come since.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10119 on: February 11, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »

Oh, I agree totally. I was just focusing, in that instance, on the thing that makes him stick, particularly when you're a kid. And for virtually every other flying character in comics since, flying is treated in a rather blase fashion; maybe it's purely by virtue of having been first, but Superman embodies that sense of wonder at the prospect of flying far better than any who've come since.

Ah I see. Muy bien :)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10120 on: February 11, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
Talk about random thoughts, the mention of Superman made me think of the phrase "can leap tall buildings in a single bound", that made me think of the Samurai Jack episode where he learned to "jump good"...

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #10121 on: February 11, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »
Would it be inappropriate to say to Cinderella, "Hey: nice Bibbity Bobbity Boobs"?

Only if you're NOT jonesing for a protracted meeting with H.R.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #10122 on: February 11, 2014, 03:05:57 PM »
Talk about random thoughts, the mention of Superman made me think of the phrase "can leap tall buildings in a single bound", that made me think of the Samurai Jack episode where he learned to "jump good"...

I LOVE that episode.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #10123 on: February 11, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
My brother's baby should be arriving today. I've been getting messages involving phrases like "mucus plug", which is not a thing I wanted to know existed.

Yeah. Good luck UN-knowing that.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10124 on: February 11, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »
(A question on the E! news website regarding Shia Labouef's new art project

Is this Michael Bay's fault? Is everything that's wrong with the world Michael Bay's fault?

The answer, by the way, is yes.