login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1790194 times)

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10080 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:50 AM »
I want to take the plunge and cancel DirecTV.  I already have netflix, hulu+, and amazon prime....I'm just scared.  I need some words of encouragement.
Well, I did it! It was kind of odd.  It felt like a break-up. I signed up for hulu and aereo to take its place (about $16 a month) so I will be saving $114 a month. They made a measly attempt to keep me ($50 off a month if I sign a 2 year contract). In the end I told them that the only way I would stick around is if they offered chanels a la carte, and if they didn't charge for each room, HD, and DVR.

FYI, the contracts between the TV providers (div, dish, etch) and the content owners (Viacom, NBC, etc) specifically forbids selling channels a la carte. The content providers are also trying to push legislation so they can charge more to internet providers. So, unless the legislation doesn't go through, Hulu will end up very similar to cable companies (I predict).
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10081 on: February 04, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »
I want to take the plunge and cancel DirecTV.  I already have netflix, hulu+, and amazon prime....I'm just scared.  I need some words of encouragement.
Well, I did it! It was kind of odd.  It felt like a break-up. I signed up for hulu and aereo to take its place (about $16 a month) so I will be saving $114 a month. They made a measly attempt to keep me ($50 off a month if I sign a 2 year contract). In the end I told them that the only way I would stick around is if they offered channels a la carte, and if they didn't charge for each room, HD, and DVR.

FYI, the contracts between the TV providers (div, dish, etch) and the content owners (Viacom, NBC, etc) specifically forbids selling channels a la carte. The content providers are also trying to push legislation so they can charge more to internet providers. So, unless the legislation doesn't go through, Hulu will end up very similar to cable companies (I predict).

That's what I figured.  They better change their minds soon, or else they'll end up like the music industry.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10082 on: February 04, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
Well, I did it! It was kind of odd.  It felt like a break-up. I signed up for hulu and aereo to take its place (about $16 a month) so I will be saving $114 a month. They made a measly attempt to keep me ($50 off a month if I sign a 2 year contract). In the end I told them that the only way I would stick around is if they offered channels a la carte, and if they didn't charge for each room, HD, and DVR.

That's what I figured.  They better change their minds soon, or else they'll end up like the music industry.

Let the fuckers burn.

+1
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10083 on: February 08, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »
  My new desktop has spoiled me for all other computers.
  Last week I thought the laptop I got in December was pretty fast, now not so much...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10084 on: February 08, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »
  My new desktop has spoiled me for all other computers.
  Last week I thought the laptop I got in December was pretty fast, now not so much...
You Now have the NEED FOR SPEEED!! >:D

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4649
« Reply #10085 on: February 08, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
If a friend tells you, "my doctor has said I can't have dairy anymore," is the correct response, "Really?  No whey!"
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10086 on: February 08, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
Why did the NBC announcer saying "would you like to get into snowboarding?" almost put me on the floor from laughing?  Must have been the tone in his voice or something...

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #10087 on: February 09, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »
So, there were two nuns. On there way to where ever nuns go, their car broke down. Luckily they were near a fruit stand, because nuns always travel in pears.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10088 on: February 09, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »
Rebate cards suck, always a pain to use them up.  But after emailing Amazon to ask if an order could be split between cards they said no but offered a great idea:

Buy yourself Amazon gift cards in the same amount as each rebate card, then add the Amazon gift cards to your account.  So 6 months after getting some work done on my car I have the $10 + $20 in a more usable form...

Now maybe I will send in all the rebates from the parts I bought for my new PC, I think they add up to $50.

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #10089 on: February 09, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »
Oh, sure, projectile vomiting looks cool in the movies...

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10090 on: February 09, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »

My family has all had a terrible gastro bug all this weekend. I guess it looks kind of cool in person too.
FINE

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #10091 on: February 09, 2014, 11:29:05 PM »

My family has all had a terrible gastro bug all this weekend. I guess it looks kind of cool in person too.
It's not so fun when you're doing the vomiting.  I spent the last 24 hours in misery.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10092 on: February 10, 2014, 01:29:55 AM »

I'm guessing that being in Australia, it's venomous spider-based in some way.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10093 on: February 10, 2014, 01:32:38 AM »

I'm guessing that being in Australia, it's venomous spider-based in some way.

Is your diarrhea not mostly spider-based?
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #10094 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:29 AM »
Just reading about the 'Brony' kid who tried to kill himself due to bullying and homophobia, I'll never understand why someone's interests/fandom/tastes is any of anyone else's business let alone something to be even slightly bothered about. 

People need to enjoy what makes THEM happy instead of worrying about 'approving' of what makes other people happy, honestly I think if you're past puberty (where you get a bit of a pass to behave like a dick) ranting about any entertainment is something that should make you think about your life and priorities in general.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)