Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1791510 times)

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10035 on: February 01, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
The only recurring dream I have nowadays is about my teeth falling out. I hate it.

I used to have those, I read somewhere that it means, subconsciously, your afraid of your secretes coming out. I tend to think that dream analysis stuff is BS anyway. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10036 on: February 01, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »
I tend to think that dream analysis stuff is BS anyway.
I'm with you on that one. A lot of thinking WAY too deeply on something that isn't that deep.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10037 on: February 01, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
As far as dream analysis goes, I believe your teeth falling out is supposed to represent a feeling of helplessness from a blow to your ego. Your teeth are like your weapons and... oh, wait, no one believes in this stuff. Sorry, Carl Jung.  :'(
If that were the case it seems more likely it'd be a dream about your hair falling out or ...other... inadequacies. But that would be in order to make sense to a waking mind. And I don't think the asleep dreaming mind is really trying very hard to make sense at all.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4650
« Reply #10038 on: February 01, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
The problem with most dream analysis 'bibles' is that they have nothing at all to do with the very specific way that symbols are used by the person dreaming.  In other words: it is impossible for a single interpretation, regardless how right it may seem on the surface, to fit everyone.  In fact, it is far more likely to fit fewer than 1/2 the people in the specific culture that the 'dream bible' was created for (and 'bibles' don't jump cultures very well at all, as cultural experiences are often so different).

But the fact is, there are a large number of studies that show that the dreaming brain is working out problems from daily life (both those that have happened, and possible/anticipated ones).  It does this via symbols that - if the waking mind pays attention and analyzes each piece as to what it specifically means to them - can often lead to insights (and potentially prevent problems) that are useful in daily life.

It is also incredibly clear from history that dreaming is very useful by the wakeful mind to go into creative levels the waking mind may not be able to manage.  [The example that comes to mind first is the dude who finally figured out the structure of the benzene molecule.  He had been working on it for ages (as had others) and at one point he had a dream of a snake swallowing its own tail.  He woke and instantly knew that benzene had a ring structure and set out to prove it (which he did).]

EDIT:  It is also the case that people can train themselves to use their dream time to solve specific problems they consciously choose beforehand.  If one sets an intention on going to sleep, they can do so [presuming they believe it is possible: if you don't believe you can do it, your mind will prevent it happening].

One can also get to a point where they are using their dream state so well that they can be lucid dreaming (I have done so on occasion).  In lucid dreaming, one is, or becomes, aware of the fact that one is IN a dream, and can then use the conscious - waking - mind to guide what happens in the dream to address particular problems (or just do 'fun shit'... there was one time I realized I was dreaming and just thought, "it'd be fun to fly," and I just took off and did so.).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:46:47 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10039 on: February 01, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
did you know that sweet dreams are made of this?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #10040 on: February 01, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
Who am I to disagree, but sweet dreams are actually made of these.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #10041 on: February 01, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »
Roommate is out of town for the next week, so I decided to move my desktop into the living room. Spending the whole evening watching M*A*S*H. Awesome!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #10042 on: February 01, 2014, 05:12:33 PM »
One can also get to a point where they are using their dream state so well that they can be lucid dreaming (I have done so on occasion).  In lucid dreaming, one is, or becomes, aware of the fact that one is IN a dream, and can then use the conscious - waking - mind to guide what happens in the dream to address particular problems (or just do 'fun shit'... there was one time I realized I was dreaming and just thought, "it'd be fun to fly," and I just took off and did so.).

I used to do this a lot when I was younger.  But it was interesting how connected my self esteem was to my ability to control my dreams.  I would be lucid in my dream, but if I wasn't feeling very confident then I'd try to make myself fly but couldn't, or could only get a few inches off the ground.  Or the more common version: I would conjure up a school crush but then she'd run away from me.  However, if I was feeling confident I could do all sorts of things. 

Though I never could 'get lucky' until I did in real life.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4482
« Reply #10043 on: February 01, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10044 on: February 01, 2014, 06:10:47 PM »
EDIT:  It is also the case that people can train themselves to use their dream time to solve problems.  If one sets an intention on going to sleep, they can do so [presuming they believe it is possible: if you don't believe you can do it, your mind will prevent it happening].

I've heard of that. Always seemed like an interesting thing to try to do.

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #10045 on: February 01, 2014, 06:54:29 PM »
I've never seen anyone make love to their tonic and gin, and I'm fairly certain I don't want to.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10046 on: February 01, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »
I've never seen anyone make love to their tonic and gin, and I'm fairly certain I don't want to.
What about Crown and Coke then ???

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #10047 on: February 01, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
Sourpatch Kids candy gives you sulfur farts.  :gouge:

But think of the absolute power residing in your buttocks!

Ah, if I only had a nickel for every time I heard that...
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #10048 on: February 01, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »
You can't spell "fucking asshole" without "king".

Hail to the king, baby.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #10049 on: February 01, 2014, 10:30:20 PM »
All I wanna know is When The Hell are they gonna release Season 6 of Star Trek The Next Generation on Bluray?!
 :angry:

If you knew how much work it's taking for the remasters for each and every episode of that show (seriously; while the show was shot on film, the SFX for TNG were all video in 480i, and have to be completely re-done), you'd chill it on out.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien