login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1809041 times)

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10005 on: January 30, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
Since Tatooine was essentially inspired by Arrakis I think we can assume that it is actually quite similar to that particular spice producing world (minus the worms and the spice):

It has a polar region in which water accumulation occurs and water is to be found beneath the surface, far beneath the surface, but a detailed discussion of the Biome distribution of various planets within the Star Wars universe aren't really allowed for in the narratives.
I didn't know that Herbert thought the planet out that well.  I read the first book in High School, and didn't really get drawn in by it.  He wasn't as tedious as Hubbard - few sci-fi authors are - but it all felt overlong to me.

Also, I knew that Lucas lifted a lot of the story from religious sources, but I wasn't aware he also lifted from sci-fi as well.  I'm not surprised, actually.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3900
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10006 on: January 30, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »
Well that's interesting indeed! :o

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10007 on: January 30, 2014, 08:22:59 AM »
I didn't know that Herbert thought the planet out that well.
Yeah there's a whole bunch in the appendices.

And of course Lucas lifted stuff from earlier Sci-Fi (not to mention Japanese Cinema), the idea that Star Wars is an original creation is silly, nothing is entirely original and in Star Wars case it's a collection of tropes thrown together in an entertaining way, like most all fantasy fiction.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:25:58 AM by Tripe »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10008 on: January 30, 2014, 08:25:49 AM »
Hoth is remotely possible as an entirely frozen planet, especially if it was once earth-like but it's star is burning out

That is probably plausible.  Assuming a star like our own Hoth could be a frozen planet orbiting out between Mars and Jupiter, it would need some internal heat generation so some liquid water could exist deep under the ice during the normal life of the star.  Primitive life could develop during that time.  Then when the star started dying and expanded into a red giant the planet would warm up and there would be millions of years where the planet could be earth like, allowing for more complex life to evolve.  Then as the star shrank back down and turned into a white dwarf the planet would refreeze, this might take place slow enough for life to adapt.

First random thought exercise of the day....

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #10009 on: January 30, 2014, 08:29:55 AM »
Hoth is remotely possible as an entirely frozen planet, especially if it was once earth-like but it's star is burning out

That is probably plausible.  Assuming a star like our own Hoth could be a frozen planet orbiting out between Mars and Jupiter, it would need some internal heat generation so some liquid water could exist deep under the ice during the normal life of the star.  Primitive life could develop during that time.  Then when the star started dying and expanded into a red giant the planet would warm up and there would be millions of years where the planet could be earth like, allowing for more complex life to evolve.  Then as the star shrank back down and turned into a white dwarf the planet would refreeze, this might take place slow enough for life to adapt.

That's intense man! :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10010 on: January 30, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »
That's intense man! :o

Pretty much the reason I have insomnia, can't turn that shit off....

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10011 on: January 30, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »
A friend at work has Navi as his text notification on his phone.  I think he might be insane.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10012 on: January 30, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »
...but a detailed discussion of the Biome distribution of various planets within the Star Wars universe aren't really allowed for in the narratives.

If Lucas is ever invited back to write, I wouldn't rule it out...
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #10013 on: January 30, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »
Well perhaps via a senate debate on agricultural subsidies.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #10014 on: January 30, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »
A friend at work has Navi as his text notification on his phone.  I think he might be insane.
You need to pull him to one side and say "hey, listen, change that fecking notification".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:48:52 PM by Tripe »

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #10015 on: January 30, 2014, 02:04:11 PM »
I didn't know that Herbert thought the planet out that well.
Yeah there's a whole bunch in the appendices.

And of course Lucas lifted stuff from earlier Sci-Fi (not to mention Japanese Cinema), the idea that Star Wars is an original creation is silly, nothing is entirely original and in Star Wars case it's a collection of tropes thrown together in an entertaining way, like most all fantasy fiction.
I'll agree, just because Star Wars came out in the early 80s.  Nowadays all fiction is a ripoff of The Simpsons.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #10016 on: January 31, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »
Why is the Chinese New Year a big deal all of the sudden? Up until now it was something I was vaguely aware of, but this year all over the internet they're talking about the Year of the Horse...

Not a complaint, or anything. I support any and all excuses to celebrate something. Just wondering if anyone knows where it came from..

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10017 on: January 31, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »
It's probably because horses are awesome!  Well, that's the reason I'm going with anyway...

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10018 on: January 31, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »
I want to take the plunge and cancel DirecTV.  I already have netflix, hulu+, and amazon prime....I'm just scared.  I need some words of encouragement.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #10019 on: January 31, 2014, 03:07:24 PM »
I want to take the plunge and cancel DirecTV.  I already have netflix, hulu+, and amazon prime....I'm just scared.  I need some words of encouragement.
The wife wants to dump Dish but she's still under contract, and I don't watch much TV anymore; I'm all on the internet nowadays so there-Drop Them! 8)