Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1790148 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9630 on: December 19, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »
So if Tom Servos head is clear, why does it show in the theater!?
More importantly, why can't I see through Kevin Murphy's head?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9631 on: December 19, 2013, 08:26:56 PM »
I've wondered if they used the clear head in the theater and didn't like the way it looked, or if the black-painted head was always used...

They have confirmed that is exactly the case.
FINE

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #9632 on: December 19, 2013, 08:45:21 PM »
And what about Scarecrow's brain?!?
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #9633 on: December 19, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »
I've wondered if they used the clear head in the theater and didn't like the way it looked, or if the black-painted head was always used...

It'd be tough to get it to look pretty without disappearing completely off and on, especially considering when the show was made.  I've done my fair share of lighting green screens, and it's always a fight to stop the green from going where you don't want it to go (because lights bounces off the screen screen and hits the subject).  Reflective objects are really tough.  But transparent objects?  That's a whole other level of tough.

To get it to looks nice you'd have to animate his head in post, which was out of the budget for the show, considering when it was made and where it started.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9634 on: December 19, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
Repeat to yourself "it's just a show movie, I should really just relax."

This is the Random Thoughts thread. I had a random thought.

DON'T YOU JUDGE ME!  :P

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9635 on: December 19, 2013, 09:02:17 PM »
Random thought: Oh, so 'hardware acceleration' actually does do something in my web browser.  I was wondering why Firefox was being so slow.  Nice and speedy again.

Though I remember that I turned hardware acceleration off for some reason... but I can't remember what that reason was.  Oh well!  Guess I'll find out.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4649
« Reply #9636 on: December 19, 2013, 09:11:09 PM »
It'd be tough to get it to look pretty without disappearing completely off and on, especially considering when the show was made.  I've done my fair share of lighting green screens, and it's always a fight to stop the green from going where you don't want it to go (because lights bounces off the screen screen and hits the subject).  Reflective objects are really tough.  But transparent objects?  That's a whole other level of tough.

To get it to looks nice you'd have to animate his head in post, which was out of the budget for the show, considering when it was made and where it started.

I knew of the green-screen issues from my ages-ago study of Harryhausen and film special effects.  And yeah, the green screen issues were why, years ago, they almost completely switched from using blue screens, as too many costumes and set pieces were also blue, compounding the problems further (and I suspect, were harder to notice reflections of while shooting because blues are so common).  Dayglo green rarely ends up in your average film or TV show as a normal part of set dressing. ;D

I had never thought about the issue with Tom to this degree before.  But they could have created an alternative version where the 'dome' was simply a circle of thick wire that was secured on a pole that went straight through Tom's body so it wouldn't rotate (and disappear) when he turned his head.  [Because from 'profile' the loop would just be a straight line up and down.]

I suspect, however, that their point was to possibly make funny comments with films rather than to deal with perfecting behind-the-scenes production issues that highly observant and compulsive fans might someday discuss and try to find alternatives for. :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:17:10 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9637 on: December 19, 2013, 09:38:11 PM »
I had never thought about the issue with Tom to this degree before.  But they could have created an alternative version where the 'dome' was simply a circle of thick wire that was secured on a pole that went straight through Tom's body so it wouldn't rotate (and disappear) when he turned his head.  [Because from 'profile' the loop would just be a straight line up and down.]

Man, the inventor in me just kicked in.  You would need to use a pipe to attach to the lower part of his head so it could be turned to talk to Joel or Mike.  Then inside the pipe would be the rod holding the loop and the top of his head.

Would be fairly easy to build some kind of mechanical system to keep the loop in perfect profile when the bots were in the seat area (telescoping square rod attached to the floor, allowing for up down and side to side movement), but it would be pretty tricky while entering and leaving the theater...

And the loop would need to be perfectly aligned with the camera, or else his head would go oval....

So, overall, way easier just to build an opaque version.  Since the puppeteering would be so much harder with a loop.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4649
« Reply #9638 on: December 19, 2013, 09:40:58 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So, overall, way easier just to build an opaque version.  Since the puppeteering would be so much harder with a loop.

Yes: this. ;D
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9639 on: December 19, 2013, 10:37:30 PM »
Man, the inventor in me just kicked in.  You would need to use a pipe to attach to the lower part of his head so it could be turned to talk to Joel or Mike.  Then inside the pipe would be the rod holding the loop and the top of his head.

Would be fairly easy to build some kind of mechanical system to keep the loop in perfect profile when the bots were in the seat area (telescoping square rod attached to the floor, allowing for up down and side to side movement), but it would be pretty tricky while entering and leaving the theater...

And the loop would need to be perfectly aligned with the camera, or else his head would go oval....

Even if you worked out all the technical issues, it would only look 'ok'.  We know that light passes through glass and gets refracted and shimmers.  So the circle outline you would see would actually be brighter in some places, and darker in others, and not just a static shadow. 

I knew of the green-screen issues from my ages-ago study of Harryhausen and film special effects.  And yeah, the green screen issues were why, years ago, they almost completely switched from using blue screens, as too many costumes and set pieces were also blue, compounding the problems further (and I suspect, were harder to notice reflections of while shooting because blues are so common).  Dayglo green rarely ends up in your average film or TV show as a normal part of set dressing. ;D

Partially.  There are two other reasons that play a bigger factor in green vs blue.  While I suppose it's true that blue appears more in set dressing and costumes, there's still a lot of green in plants and trees and a lot of things.  But that's a moot point, because a movie or show has control over what color things are.  The blue couch is messing with our blue screen?  Then get a different couch.  Problem solved.

One reason is that there's a little bit of blue in our skin and faces.  Eyes can be blue, even bright blue.  Veins can be blue.  And there can be a general blue hint to skin tones sometimes.  You don't see chroma green in eyes or skin.

But now days the main reason green is used over blue has to do with the way digital image sensors handle color.  Out of all the colors, green gives the camera the most information.  Sensors can handle, process and detect green the easiest, and it doesn't so easily get muddied with other colors.  This makes it easier to pick out and erase in post. 

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9640 on: December 19, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
Man, the last hours before you start holidays are brutal.

BRUTAL.
FINE

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9641 on: December 19, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »
All this talk of blue reminded me to listen to a Radio Lab on the color blue, and how blue is never mentioned in a lot of ancient texts.  For example, there's no blue in the Odyssey, the Iliad, or the Bible.  It's not until a culture figures out how to make a color using pigments (blue being the hardest to make) that they make a word for it.  And not having a word for a color or a concept for that color makes it very hard to point out and notice, which has been proven by testing some tribes that have no word for blue.

Incredibly interesting.  Give it a listen.  http://www.radiolab.org/story/211213-sky-isnt-blue/

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #9642 on: December 20, 2013, 02:04:38 AM »
Tis the season to not be so jolly with telephone operators, I guess.

I know people are under stress, but the angry expletive filled lashing out at me is particularly bad tonight.  I can say I've never been called a redneck before...

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9643 on: December 20, 2013, 03:07:33 AM »
Man, the last hours before you start holidays are brutal.

BRUTAL.

I sense a Metalocalypse episode coming from that sentence.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #9644 on: December 20, 2013, 05:15:35 AM »
What the hell peole?  This is the random thread! I leave for a few hours to find that I have unintentionally started an actual discussion!  Get it not together people!

Good day to you sirs and madams!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.