Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1791851 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9570 on: December 13, 2013, 05:31:42 PM »
So I started mining Litecoins yesterday.  Which are like bitcoins, but... lighter?  I don't know. 

I've made a staggering $3.40 so far.  That's after I'd say... 9 hours of mining?  I think.  Now that's before electricity.  If I factor in a guess at electricity draw then I'm making around $0.24 an hour.  In other words, not very much money.

I'll be getting some more hardware for Christmas that will close to double that.  Plus if I use the living room computer that would effectively triple what I'm making now... so $0.62 an hour. 

Is this something I'll keep doing?  I don't know.  I didn't have to invest any money into it, I had all the equipment for playing computer games.  And it's kind of neat to see a small return on what could be considered a huge waste of money.  We'll see.  Might be cool to leave the computers on during vacation and come back to $100.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:44:59 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9571 on: December 13, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
So I started mining Litecoins yesterday.  Which are like bitcoins, but... lighter?  I don't know. 

I've made a staggering $3.40 so far.  That's after I'd say... 9 hours of mining?  I think.  Now that's before electricity.  If I factor in a guess at electricity draw then I'm making around $0.24 an hour.  In other words, not very much money.

I'll be getting some more hardware for Christmas that will close to double that.  Plus if I use the living room computer that would effectively triple what I'm making now... so $0.62 an hour. 

Is this something I'll keep doing?  I don't know.  I didn't have to invest any money into it, I had all the equipment for playing computer games.  And it's kind of neat to see a small return on what could be considered a huge waste of money.  We'll see.  Might be cool to leave the computers on during vacation and come back to $100.

Whats the performance impact?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9572 on: December 13, 2013, 10:23:12 PM »
It depends on your settings. I have them set fairly high, but I can still manage to browse the web and watch videos, though admittedly it's a bit sluggish sluggish. I could tone some settings down to make it less noticeable, but then I would be making less money.

It doesn't use any CPU, but it does max out your GPU(s).  Playing any games more complex than solitaire is probably out of the question.

I have 2 computers running it now. Going to let them run over night and see where that gets me.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9573 on: December 13, 2013, 11:00:46 PM »
It depends on your settings. I have them set fairly high, but I can still manage to browse the web and watch videos, though admittedly it's a bit sluggish sluggish. I could tone some settings down to make it less noticeable, but then I would be making less money.

It doesn't use any CPU, but it does max out your GPU(s).  Playing any games more complex than solitaire is probably out of the question.

I have 2 computers running it now. Going to let them run over night and see where that gets me.

Is it plausible to build multiple really cheap systems (like $20 CPU's) with powerful GPUs and just run them in your basement or something indefinitely?

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9574 on: December 14, 2013, 06:39:38 AM »
Why isn't fanfiction about two or more characters banging called fanfucktion? I'm actually really upset by this.

Bonus: I want to make a joke playlist and name it something like "Sex Mix", and then like 5 songs in, I'll have the music from the 3DS Mii Plaza puzzle piece thing. Completely ruin the mood, but it'll be hilarious.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:41:36 AM by Quantum Vagina »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #9575 on: December 14, 2013, 06:45:18 AM »
Bonus: I want to make a joke playlist and name it something like "Sex Mix", and then like 5 songs in, I'll have the music from the 3DS Mii Plaza puzzle piece thing. Completely ruin the mood, but it'll be hilarious.

liked for both parts, but adding on to this: or, you could make one with just one really short song. after it's done, say "you're not done yet?"
dF = 0
d*F = J

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9576 on: December 14, 2013, 06:56:57 AM »

liked for both parts, but adding on to this: or, you could make one with just one really short song. after it's done, say "you're not done yet?"

Or maybe just a random audio book thrown into the middle of it.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9577 on: December 14, 2013, 07:04:19 AM »

Is it plausible to build multiple really cheap systems (like $20 CPU's) with powerful GPUs and just run them in your basement or something indefinitely?

Oh yes. The popular thing is to get open air cases and do a quad GPU setup with R9 290s or something.  I'm sure it sounds like a jet engine.

But there are also cards that are built specifically for cryptocurrency mining that are a lot more efficient than gaming cards, so if you're really serious about trying to make money off it then that's the way to go.

I'm not super serious. One of my machines rebooted at sometime during the night so my numbers are off, but I made $2.85 in 8.75 hours, putting me at a total of $7.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #9578 on: December 14, 2013, 07:17:15 AM »

Or maybe just a random audio book thrown into the middle of it.

margaret thatcher speeches!
dF = 0
d*F = J

UncleDesmond

« Reply #9579 on: December 14, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »

One of them's not writing this down! EXECUTE HIM!

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2646
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9580 on: December 14, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »
For years I've wanted to turn an old alcohol burner into an oil candle.  But the burner I had was the old kind that had the wick in a brass tube inside a cork stopper.  I guess when using it with alcohol the brass tube doesn't heat up as much, but with lamp oil the cork will start smoking...

I had a few of those ceramic things that you can use to turn bottles into candles, and just thought of using one in the alcohol burner.  And it worked, cover even fits over it.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9581 on: December 14, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »

They have got to be compensating for something with those huge hats.

UncleDesmond

« Reply #9582 on: December 14, 2013, 02:46:46 PM »

Absence of any kind of chance of battlefield experience probably.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9583 on: December 14, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »

I was going for more of a...penile innuendo.

UncleDesmond

« Reply #9584 on: December 14, 2013, 03:56:01 PM »

I was going for more of a...penile innuendo.
I knew you were: that's why I went for the non-obvious.