login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1789448 times)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9285 on: November 11, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
And BTAs......

Does that mean postal workers are working 7 days a week now?
Probably.. Looks like more frequent stops in the corn fields as well.. :o

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4647
« Reply #9286 on: November 11, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »
...I've been feeling a lot more comfortable with myself. I don't know if it's some combination of positive happenings or what, but I'm feeling good.

Just wanted to be clear: my 'Like' was for this part.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9287 on: November 11, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
I just finished watching a pretty interesting video series.

If you know me, you'll know that I'm generally not one to be interested in things like feminism, civil rights, or gender studies. This is not because I disagree with these things; far from it. I think that many of the arguments in favor of such things are well thought out and reasonable, and I suppose that I just kind of EXPECT that kind of human decency in between people.

Lately, I've found myself rather bored. My mind wasn't being challenged, and I wasn't really learning anything new. Last night, I read an article by Bob Chipman on the Escapist that got me interested in video game theory and philosophy. The article was about a recent talk at Northeast University in Boston(I think) by one Anita Sarkeesian. I had never heard of the woman before, and the article gave a bit of background information on her, which was intriguing.

For those of you who haven't heard of her, Anita was the target of a horrendous attack because she had a kickstarter going for a webseries she wanted to make, "Tropes Vs Women In Video Games". She was subjected to ludicrous threats of violence and rape, because "FEMINISTS WAN DESTROY GAMEZ".

I decided that, while I'm normally not a philosophically inclined person, I was interested in hearing what she had to say regarding my favorite pass time.

The video series was about the Damsel in Distress trope, and I learned a lot. I didn't agree with every idea put forth, but I found myself surprised and nodding in agreement more often than not. While it didn't alter my viewpoints immensely(How could it? I mostly agreed with her on things anyway), I think it made me more observant of my choices and actions in games, as well as a little more interested in exploring feminism in general.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #9288 on: November 11, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »
Glenn Morshower, aka Aaron Pierce from 24, is gonna be at some podunk acting school up the street from my house (like, it's a 10 minute walk to get there) on Friday.  I really should take advantage and buy a ticket for the meet and greet thing he's doing.
The guy who reassigns people in movies?
Dunno what you're talking about.  I think he was in the Transformers movies as (blech) General Morshower.  I guess it was a tribute, but I hate it when actors use their own names.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9289 on: November 11, 2013, 02:46:57 PM »
Glenn Morshower, aka Aaron Pierce from 24, is gonna be at some podunk acting school up the street from my house (like, it's a 10 minute walk to get there) on Friday.  I really should take advantage and buy a ticket for the meet and greet thing he's doing.
The guy who reassigns people in movies?
Dunno what you're talking about.  I think he was in the Transformers movies as (blech) General Morshower.  I guess it was a tribute, but I hate it when actors use their own names.
There are two movies that Quiptracks has riffed (Godzilla and The Core) where he has the exact same role, just some general that appears and reassigns the main character to be in the department with the emergency. It's kind of a running gag in Quiptracks.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #9290 on: November 11, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
My new printer can do two sided printing without me flipping the paper over and loading it back into the tray. 

While probably pretty common amongst modern printers, the feature makes me a very happy person considering I've had a half busted printer for the last 5 years.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:15:03 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9291 on: November 11, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »
Not sure where else to put this..
Amazon Taps Post Office For Sunday Deliveries; A Win-Win?

November 11, 201310:05 AM

Much of the talk in recent years about how the U.S. Postal Service could stem has been about the things it might stop doing — most notably, delivering the mail on Saturdays.

Now, there's word that with the Postal Service for Sunday delivery of packages. The service begins immediately in the Los Angeles and New York City metropolitan areas and is planned to expand next year to other metros, including Dallas, Houston, New Orleans and Phoenix.

The early analyses of the deal say it's a winner for both sides.

For the Postal Service, , the deal offers "a chance to take some business from United Parcel Service and FedEx, which do not deliver on Sundays. Now, some orders that would have been handled by either of those carriers for Monday delivery will go through the Postal Service and arrive on Sunday."

Package delivery is a profitable part of the Postal Service's business, unlike money-losing delivery of Saturday mail.

, the Postal Service will deliver the packages "at regular rates. ... Previously, a shipper had to use its pricey Express Mail service and pay an extra fee for Sunday delivery." The Postal Service, adds the Post, "said it would increase staffing in the locations where Amazon will offer the service, but did not offer specific numbers. ... [It] also declined to comment on how much additional revenue the new initiative is expected to bring."

Amazon, meanwhile, "won't change shipping prices for customers" who want Sunday delivery, .

But the online shopping giant "is seeking to siphon away customers from Target Corp. and other retailers," Bloomberg adds, at a time when it is "also facing competition from online-shopping sites that are rolling out new services to get products to customers more quickly and efficiently. EBay Inc. offers deliveries under an hour, seven days a week, for some products, and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. operates a same-day delivery service for groceries and household goods."

Beyond the issue of what it means for both sides of the deal, we have a question.
I'd like to hear Lembach's take on this.. 8)

Other than USPS comes in very distant third in the Big Three shippers, what is there not to like? Many people are going to be pleasantly surprised when I tell them that their replacement will get to them Sunday instead of Monday.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #9292 on: November 11, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »
you americans are so spoiled.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9293 on: November 11, 2013, 06:45:01 PM »
If McDonalds would get a clue and started delivering here, we will be 8)

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9294 on: November 11, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »
I believe that there's a Burger King in Aurora, CO that delivers. The future is now.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #9295 on: November 11, 2013, 07:12:10 PM »
I believe that there's a Burger King in Aurora, CO that delivers. The future is now.

Just come to New York where you can get anything other than fast food delivered. 

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9296 on: November 11, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »

When I lived in Oakland I used to call a company called Munchy Munchy Hippos, they delivered the stonerist food all night long, it was awesome. They used to have a bacon cheese burger on a Krispy Kream doughnut with tater tots covered in gravy (yeah that kind of food)   

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9297 on: November 11, 2013, 07:32:24 PM »

When I lived in Oakland I used to call a company called Munchy Munchy Hippos, they delivered the stonerist food all night long, it was awesome. They used to have a bacon cheese burger on a Krispy Kream doughnut with tater tots covered in gravy (yeah that kind of food)

Blech! Is that for stoners or pregnant women?

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9298 on: November 11, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »

Just come to New York where you can get anything other than fast food delivered.
Do you realize that that would absolutely RUIN me? I'm already chubby, I don't need to become an orca.

Roommate's friend is here and is loudly vulgar. I'd tell him to stop, but I doubt he would, because he doesn't care, not to mention that they'd say, "Yeah, well, you were saying that stuff a couple of months ago." Which is annoying, but true, although I was never that bad. I really could do without the loud "F*GGOT/N*GGER" out of my living room every 5 minutes.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9299 on: November 11, 2013, 07:33:48 PM »

Blech! Is that for stoners or pregnant women?
Women so high they don't realize they're pregnant.