Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1790390 times)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9225 on: November 06, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »
I don't think it's possible to work in a field like phone service and still like people after you've done it long enough.  I worked on the phones for 4 years, and I hated that I started to hate everybody.  I hated my job and I got depressed.  I was able to use it for motivation to finish school.

Call centers are so interesting onto themselves. Some of the horrible things people will say to call center agents is despicable. I believe customers feel they are hidden from the person so can be much harsher. I get so harsh to customer service reps on the phone. I feel really bad about it afterwards, though.

There's that, and people don't usually call in to call centers just to chat and say "everything's going great!"  They've generally got a problem and are already a little off kilter.  Emotions can range from "slightly confused/annoyed" to "extremely irritated and at the end of his rope".

There's also this sense of entitlement some people have.  They think "the customer is always right" and get really egotistical over that belief. 

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #9226 on: November 06, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »
I don't think it's possible to work in a field like phone service and still like people after you've done it long enough.  I worked on the phones for 4 years, and I hated that I started to hate everybody.  I hated my job and I got depressed.  I was able to use it for motivation to finish school.

Call centers are so interesting onto themselves. Some of the horrible things people will say to call center agents is despicable. I believe customers feel they are hidden from the person so can be much harsher. I get so harsh to customer service reps on the phone. I feel really bad about it afterwards, though.

There's that, and people don't usually call in to call centers just to chat and say "everything's going great!"  They've generally got a problem and are already a little off kilter.  Emotions can range from "slightly confused/annoyed" to "extremely irritated and at the end of his rope".

There's also this sense of entitlement some people have.  They think "the customer is always right" and get really egotistical over that belief.

I sell stuff using Amazon's system sometimes and I got an indignant email recently from some guy in Spain who was absolutely incensed with me because he had to pay customs charges on the movie I'd sold him.  I pointed out that I have nothing to do with his country's laws, and that he should contact an excise officer or his local politicians if he wanted to complain about it, and he furiously tried to make an A-Z claim on amazon about it.

It was denied to him within 4 hours.

:)

Well, in a way, it's good to know that entitlement is an international phenomenon and not just an American thing.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9227 on: November 06, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »
Why is "Bazinga" a thing?  Is it really supposed to be funny?  To me, it just appears to be a desperate attempt to be relevant to nerd culture.

Aren't Bazingas a slang term for women's breasts?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9228 on: November 06, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
Why is "Bazinga" a thing?  Is it really supposed to be funny?  To me, it just appears to be a desperate attempt to be relevant to nerd culture.

Google image search for bazinga....no breasts, just Jim Parson's stupid face.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9229 on: November 06, 2013, 03:59:42 PM »

Nothing makes a mans face look stupider than when a picture of a man's face is what you get when you expect a picture of breasts.

For some reason I had great difficulty writing the above sentence.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9230 on: November 06, 2013, 04:09:46 PM »

Nothing makes a mans face look stupider than when a picture of a man's face is what you get when you expect a picture of breasts.

I don't get what your problem is, you wanted to see a boob.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9231 on: November 06, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »

I don't get what your problem is, you wanted to see a boob.

It wasn't the boobs that made it difficult, I had a hard time putting the sentence together to convey my thought. The more I look at it the more wrong it looks.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #9232 on: November 06, 2013, 05:16:15 PM »
Oh, and now there's a new non-issue: Apparently some jerks are bothered by the fact that some stores are doing sales on Thanksgiving. If you don't like it, then don't go, ya busybodies.

Those jerks that work at stores, wanting a day off!  How dare they...

If you work in retail, this sort of thing is to be expected. If you don't get that, you're in the wrong line of work.

Thanksgiving was one of the last holidays that just about everyone not working in emergency services had the day off, and considering what goes on the following day I can imagine people working in retail were especially glad about it.

Well, I spent most of the last decade working in movie theatres, so I'm afraid I can only work up so much sympathy.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9233 on: November 06, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »

I've seen it on shirts and I gather it's a Big Bang Theory thing but I've no idea what it refers to.

Though apparently it can be slang for petite breasts, interesting considering the girls who I'm seen wearing the shirts...

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9234 on: November 07, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »
I kinda want to make one of those really annoying "Coexist" bumper stickers or posters, but I want to just throw a swastika in there, just to see the reactions people had.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9235 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:11 AM »
Which would represent Hinduism.

You can get anti-coexist stickers that look like this:

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9236 on: November 07, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »
I'm disappointed that Calvin's not peeing on anything.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9237 on: November 07, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
I've seen at least one or two cars where they unend those Calvin praying ones to have him pee on the cross (I spend a lot of time in godless places like Ferndale and Royal Oak).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:57:07 AM by Tripe »

UncleDesmond

« Reply #9238 on: November 07, 2013, 10:03:47 AM »
Which would represent Hinduism.

You can get anti-coexist stickers that look like this:

So Buddhism and Shintoism only get a look in on the "toxic" sticker? WTF? Buddhism is "TOXIC"? How?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9239 on: November 07, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
I didn't make the sticker, though I'm sure there are people in Sri Lanka who'd not view Buddhism as all sweetness and light.

Also Neopaganism doesn't show up on the COEXIST sticker either. I feel very uncoexisted with, I truly do. ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:07:45 AM by Tripe »