login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785686 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9210 on: November 05, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
It might be historically accurate that Vikings weren't great to women, but vikings also had to take a shit every day, that wasn't included in the game. You make choices when you design a game, and Vikings are just as famous for pillaging as they are for raping.
To be honest much of that is based on the descendants of the earliest Vikings playing "my great granddad was a harder bastard that your great granddad" two thirds of the Vikings were traders and farmers, the one third that went off and sacked monasteries and the like actually didn't end up dominating or progressing Norse society terribly much.

Like I keep saying it's very obviously a naff game and definitely is more about how people view the Vikings now than how they actually were (C.F. the City of Rome as a debauched wonderland vs. what Roman social mores actually were).

I'm not terribly interested in games but I do like talking about history and the lenses through which people view history.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #9211 on: November 05, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »
So, I found some articles online on a subject of current interest to me.  "What is a good strategy for getting through this life once you've found that you detest people in general?

People are wonderful. Anyone who maintains that they're not is projecting her/his own negativity on the rest of the world.

gofundme.com/4xbtpg?forcedesktop=1
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #9212 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »
Oh, and now there's a new non-issue: Apparently some jerks are bothered by the fact that some stores are doing sales on Thanksgiving. If you don't like it, then don't go, ya busybodies.

Those jerks that work at stores, wanting a day off!  How dare they...

If you work in retail, this sort of thing is to be expected. If you don't get that, you're in the wrong line of work.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9213 on: November 05, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
Oh also Viking excretion not being in the game: well see, right there is a reason the game sucks, it one of the first things you almost literally step into at the Jorvik Viking Centre (or it was, it's been a while). :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:11:06 AM by Tripe »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9214 on: November 05, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »
And vis-a-vis humanity's wonderfulness/wretchedness, I always liked Pratchett's description of humanity as "were the falling angel meets the ascending ape".

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #9215 on: November 06, 2013, 12:50:34 AM »
So, I found some articles online on a subject of current interest to me.  "What is a good strategy for getting through this life once you've found that you detest people in general?

People are wonderful. Anyone who maintains that they're not is projecting her/his own negativity on the rest of the world.

Nah. People aren't either wonderful or horrible. They're just people, which means that they're a mixture of both. Anyone who says they're wonderful is just living in a delusional state.

I think it is more that all people have the capacity to be wonderful.  Many choose not to exercise that capacity.  Many use the daily opportunities they get to demonstrate (to themselves) that they can be, and some need an opportunity (such as those on GoFundMe) to recognize that they can.  Many people can be rude, inconsiderate assholes without thinking twice about it, but others can be 'wonderful' also without a second thought, or without considering that that is - if others knew of their acts - how they would be considered.  [Brain so messed up right now I can't tell, but I think my syntax is broken.]

But like you said: people are just people, with a wide range from downright evil to saintly.  It is the capacity for goodness - or greatness - that I agree with.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9216 on: November 06, 2013, 08:58:24 AM »
Would it be better if the artwork made the girls look unwilling?  I think that would make it seem more rapey.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9217 on: November 06, 2013, 09:06:20 AM »

Nah. People aren't either wonderful or horrible. They're just people, which means that they're a mixture of both. Anyone who says they're wonderful is just living in a delusional state.
Which explains our random dying patterns.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9218 on: November 06, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
I don't think it's possible to work in a field like phone service and still like people after you've done it long enough.  I worked on the phones for 4 years, and I hated that I started to hate everybody.  I hated my job and I got depressed.  I was able to use it for motivation to finish school.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #9219 on: November 06, 2013, 09:35:10 AM »
I don't think it's possible to work in a field like phone service and still like people after you've done it long enough.  I worked on the phones for 4 years, and I hated that I started to hate everybody.  I hated my job and I got depressed.  I was able to use it for motivation to finish school.

Call centers are so interesting onto themselves. Some of the horrible things people will say to call center agents is despicable. I believe customers feel they are hidden from the person so can be much harsher. I get so harsh to customer service reps on the phone. I feel really bad about it afterwards, though.

Also, stupid Susie Ormond is telling people to call into call centers and "complain" (which seems to be interpretated as "be an asshole") to get free stuff. She isn't helping.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9220 on: November 06, 2013, 09:38:15 AM »

I think a better way to put it would be that people are generally good, which is how I feel. Sometimes I hate people but when I do I know it's because I'm in a bad mood.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9221 on: November 06, 2013, 09:46:14 AM »
I think most people just want to get through their day but all are capable of banal goodness or evil and a few actually put effort into performing refined and concentrated expressions of those two poles.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:53:15 AM by Tripe »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9222 on: November 06, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
Oh, and now there's a new non-issue: Apparently some jerks are bothered by the fact that some stores are doing sales on Thanksgiving. If you don't like it, then don't go, ya busybodies.

Those jerks that work at stores, wanting a day off!  How dare they...

If you work in retail, this sort of thing is to be expected. If you don't get that, you're in the wrong line of work.

Thanksgiving was one of the last holidays that just about everyone not working in emergency services had the day off, and considering what goes on the following day I can imagine people working in retail were especially glad about it. 

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #9223 on: November 06, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »

Call centers are so interesting onto themselves. Some of the horrible things people will say to call center agents is despicable. I believe customers feel they are hidden from the person so can be much harsher. I get so harsh to customer service reps on the phone. I feel really bad about it afterwards, though.

Something I make a point about doing if I'm calling a customer service/help line and I am angry about the situation is - when I recognize I'm sounding angry - to make sure that I apologize to the person on the phone and say something to the effect of, "I want you to know I'm not angry at YOU.  I know you personally didn't have anything to do with the way [things were handled/what happened], I'm angry at the situation."  Most of the time I actually receive thanks from the CS person for saying so.  To me it just seems like common courtesy (which, all too often when people are mad, seems to not be all that common).  But it did take me quite a few years of my life before I thought to do this.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9224 on: November 06, 2013, 10:50:54 AM »
Ah the slight amusement to be gained from finding a construction company from New York with a Mafia connected name and finding out that the contact person is Anthony Soprano.