login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785506 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9180 on: November 05, 2013, 07:08:21 AM »
Not sure the game will be that in depth, and I hope that it's not.  Including forced prostitution in a video game would actually cross a line for me, instead of make me uneasy.  And I'm not sure how other kinds of slavery would fit into the game in a meaningful way. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9181 on: November 05, 2013, 07:08:43 AM »
So in that game, can you capture players and make them slaves, or just NPCs?

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9182 on: November 05, 2013, 07:15:41 AM »
It sounds a lot like EVE Online, but way more in depth.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9183 on: November 05, 2013, 07:28:56 AM »
So in that game, can you capture players and make them slaves, or just NPCs?

You can capture player characters, but once captured the player is offered a chance to buy his or her freedom, at which point the player slave is replaced with an npc slave.  So yes you can make players slaves, but the player doesn't stay in your cargo hold indefinitely.  Too much griefing would occur otherwise.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9184 on: November 05, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »
This is very similar to a conversation that I've been involved in over on boardgamegeek for the last month. A small company has a game about Vikings they just launched where the win condition is specifically capturing three daughters from your opponents. That's the only thing the daughters are for - They exists as trophies. To cap it off, the artwork shows them all looking very 'come capture me, big boy.'

Gross.
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9185 on: November 05, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »
This is very similar to a conversation that I've been involved in over on boardgamegeek for the last month. A small company has a game about Vikings they just launched where the win condition is specifically capturing three daughters from your opponents. That's the only thing the daughters are for - They exists as trophies. To cap it off, the artwork shows them all looking very 'come capture me, big boy.'

Gross.

Gross, agreed.  I don't feel any subject is taboo in fiction, but it's different in a game / simulation. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9186 on: November 05, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
They could throw balls to adorable stumpy legged doggies.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9187 on: November 05, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »
...but you're playing a game as VIKINGS.  What do you expect them to do? Knit?

1) The game contains gods and monsters, so you can't argue for historical accuracy - the game is a fantasy game, so everything included in that game was a decision made by the designers. (Of course, everything in every game is a decision by the designers, but you know what I'm saying here - They built this fantasy world)

2) The daughters have zero thematic integration - You don't have to storm a house, throw them over your shoulder and carry them back to your boat, you just get them when you win a battle. That means they could have easily been a magical weapon, a family heirloom, gold, their VCR etc etc

3) It's largely about the context of the art as well (top row):

FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9188 on: November 05, 2013, 02:06:49 PM »
(The game launched last week, by the way, and the reviews have not been favourable for the actual gameplay - It's sitting on a 5.8 out 10, currently - so I think this game will largely disappear anyway)
FINE

Online Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9189 on: November 05, 2013, 02:38:10 PM »

Gross.

Gross, agreed.  I don't feel any subject is taboo in fiction, but it's different in a game / simulation.

That's disgusting.  I bet they are all scantily clad too.  Where could I find this game?

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9190 on: November 05, 2013, 04:59:53 PM »
I guess I just mean...if you're not into the specifics of the milieu, avoid it.  Vikings are pretty much associated with rapine and pillaging, so you kind of have to either move past that or buy a different type of game.

Yes, but is that how the women looked as they were being kidnapped?
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9191 on: November 05, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
I thought you said it wasn't a historical game? My point is that there are certain tropes associated with vikings, whether they're "true" or not--horned helmets, dragon ships, guys named "Ragnar," etc.  Raping and pillaging is also in that basket.  It happens that they really did do a lot of that, as well as it being in the "myths" about them.  So either way, kind of, if you don't like it, you shouldn't get into it.

I understand what you're saying about the way the women are presented, but again--what's the point of the game? Is it to develop sympathy for the plight of those being savaged by these marauders, or to be a marauder?  Because I doubt the real sailors felt that bad about it.

Do you think war games should include the raping of civilians, Im?
FINE

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #9192 on: November 05, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
I thought you said it wasn't a historical game? My point is that there are certain tropes associated with vikings, whether they're "true" or not--horned helmets, dragon ships, guys named "Ragnar," etc.  Raping and pillaging is also in that basket.  It happens that they really did do a lot of that, as well as it being in the "myths" about them.  So either way, kind of, if you don't like it, you shouldn't get into it.

I understand what you're saying about the way the women are presented, but again--what's the point of the game? Is it to develop sympathy for the plight of those being savaged by these marauders, or to be a marauder?  Because I doubt the real sailors felt that bad about it.

..it's just a card game..  Grand Theft Auto video games depict violent assaults, are interactive, and in much higher detail than a few static images on a some plastic cards.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9193 on: November 05, 2013, 05:40:25 PM »

..it's just a card game..  Grand Theft Auto video games depict violent assaults, are interactive, and in much higher detail than a few static images on a some plastic cards.

And?

If something is worse than one thing, everything up to that point is fine?
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9194 on: November 05, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »
By the way, there wasn't a call to stop the game, change the the theme or anything except the suggestion that the art was inappropriate when mixed with the theme.
FINE