login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785252 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9165 on: November 03, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
what's happening to me? there's still food, but i don't want to eat it. i've become everything i've ever hated! :'(
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9166 on: November 03, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
It always nagged me in the back of my mind and I finally figured it out:

The background music during the fight scene in the Star Trek episode "Amok Time" is Ravel's "Boléro".

Or at least a part of it.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9167 on: November 03, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
Yeah the time signature's completely different, I mean I guess they could have been going for the feel of the build up section of Bolero.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:40:17 PM by Tripe »

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9168 on: November 03, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
NERDS!

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9169 on: November 03, 2013, 09:41:58 PM »
Sunday night is a wonderful night for Mythbusters and copious amounts of gin. In case anyone was wondering.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9170 on: November 04, 2013, 09:50:24 AM »
Why is "Bazinga" a thing?  Is it really supposed to be funny?  To me, it just appears to be a desperate attempt to be relevant to nerd culture.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9171 on: November 04, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »
I've seen it on shirts and I gather it's a Big Bang Theory thing but I've no idea what it refers to.

Though apparently it can be slang for petite breasts, interesting considering the girls who I'm seen wearing the shirts...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:05:48 AM by Tripe »

UncleDesmond

« Reply #9172 on: November 04, 2013, 03:23:58 PM »
Why is "Bazinga" a thing?  Is it really supposed to be funny?  To me, it just appears to be a desperate attempt to be relevant to nerd culture.
Replace "bazinga" with just the whole series of "Big Bang Theory" and I agree completely.
Amen, bro.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #9173 on: November 04, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »
Starting a discussion on slavery in a video game forum was a very bad idea.  Made me miss everyone here, and everyone's thought out responses.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9174 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »
Starting a discussion on slavery in a video game forum was a very bad idea.  Made me miss everyone here, and everyone's thought out responses.

Some times I like to come around here just to remind myself that not everyone on the internet is an ignorant bigot. 

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9175 on: November 05, 2013, 05:57:26 AM »

Could we handle the details, or is it too soul crushing?

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9176 on: November 05, 2013, 06:41:07 AM »

Could we handle the details, or is it too soul crushing?

Oh of course.  The details actually aren't that soul crushing, and not terribly interesting, but since you asked:

It was in the Star Citizen forum, an upcoming futuristic space simulation (the one that has raised over 26 million from crowd funding, the first AAA game to be funded entirely in this manor).  The game takes place online with a persistent universe.  In the game you can fly ships, get into dog fights, haul cargo, attack pirates, be a pirate.  A whole slew of choices.

Transporting slaves is one of the things you will be able to do.  Some planets use slave labor and therefore there is a demand for slaves.  You will even be able to board a ship and enslave the crew, selling them into a life of servitude. 

Now, whenever people mentioned this topic I would get a little uneasy.  I freely admit that there is a strange duality with being comfortable with killing in a video game but not with slavery.  But it seemed to cross a line for me, and I wanted to talk about that line with the Star Citizen community.

I received a few interesting comments, but most of them were "It's a fucking game!  If you don't like it don't play it!  We can tell the difference between fantasy and reality!"  Implying that I wanted to remove slavery from the game, which I never said.  I just wanted to talk about it.  People failed to realize that I just wanted to have a conversation, and would post the impulsive reactionary comments that are typical of the internet.  That's what I was annoyed with.  The people here are much better at having a conversation.

Spoilered because I go into somewhat tedious details about the game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9177 on: November 05, 2013, 06:47:49 AM »
I actually find that kind of thing pretty interesting. I'd love to join you on your abolitionist movement, but those kinds of games don't hold my attention for long enough to be of consequence.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9178 on: November 05, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »
I actually find that kind of thing pretty interesting. I'd love to join you on your abolitionist movement, but those kinds of games don't hold my attention for long enough to be of consequence.

I'm not yet affiliated with them, but there is already a group of players who have vowed to fight slavery no matter what, even if it technically makes them pirates and outlaws.  They will steal and destroy any products made with slave labor (yes, the game is supposed to be that in depth), along with the obvious freeing of any slaves (and killing any slavers) they come across.

All that is great and leads to an interesting game.  What I don't like is the thought of people thinking slavery is funny and doing it for kicks.  If you want to role play as a horrible person that's fine, but actually role play as a horrible person who shoves humans into a cargo hold and hits them with an electric cattle prod, not just some accountant who presses a few drop down menus.  Trivializing slavery kind of bugs me for some reason.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #9179 on: November 05, 2013, 07:03:27 AM »
How long before most of the slavery isn't of the manual labour variety?