Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1785498 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9030 on: October 22, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »
Answer: The most commonly accepted explanation is because hazelnuts mature on or around St. Philibert's Day, August 20. Other historians believe the term filbert derives from the German vollbart meaning full beard, a reference to the appearance of the husked shell. Although the current definition of filbert tends to refer to commercial cultivated crops of hazelnuts, the terms hazelnut and filbert are generally used interchangeably. Hazelnuts are also known as cobnuts in some areas. Other experts claim these are all different varieties of the nut, but once shelled, they are quite difficult to tell apart.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #9031 on: October 22, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »
Thanks EJG3!  We all learned something because you decided to publish your internet research. :)  I'd never known the connection(s) before.

My preferences are cashews, pecans, pistachios, and almonds (roughly in that order).  Really don't like walnuts (too astringent and bitter if I remember correctly), or filberts ('Philberts'/'vollbarts').  Hazelnut flavoring was one of the few things I liked much as a coffee additive back in the days I drank it.  Used to only like 'pea-legumes' in paste form with a fruit spread, but after developing a mild allergy to them (i.e. no anaphylaxis), now substitute almond butter in its place.

[[Aw nuts!  I went out grocery shopping today and told myself I wasn't going to think enough to write anything tonight!]]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9032 on: October 22, 2013, 08:16:43 PM »
My grandpa won't eat almonds ever since WW2 because he says they smell like dead bodies.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9033 on: October 22, 2013, 09:10:03 PM »
I literally taste nothing when I eat almonds.  That's probably weird, I think.

I think that means there is a certain poison you also can't taste...
Not sure really, I have a vague recollection of that being part of a murder mystery story/movie/show...

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9034 on: October 23, 2013, 01:08:31 AM »

Either cyanide poisoning, or a tumor pushing on your frontal lobe!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #9035 on: October 23, 2013, 01:16:46 AM »

Not sure really, I have a vague recollection of that being part of a murder mystery story/movie/show...

Bitter almonds have arsenic or something closely related to it in them, where, if an adult would eat even a handful of them they'd die.  But any bitter almonds that make it to market have already been treated (heat alters the chemistry enough to detoxify them).
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9036 on: October 23, 2013, 01:16:58 AM »
I was in the kitchen preparing some Butter Chicken (the Indian dish, not just a load of butter over chicken) while watching Cinematic Titanic's "The Wasp Woman" on my Kindle. You know, like you do.

My roommate comes in, examines what I'm watching, and comments "Oh good, at least you can hear the original dialogue over the commentary."  ::)

And I think, it's really amazing that we get along so well.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9037 on: October 23, 2013, 05:06:17 AM »

Either cyanide poisoning, or a tumor pushing on your frontal lobe!
It's not a toomah.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9038 on: October 23, 2013, 07:46:52 AM »
Last night I dreamt that I met Nick Offerman at the airport. It was pretty cool, until I had to leave because the rest of my group was pissed.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #9039 on: October 23, 2013, 11:20:51 AM »
I am so fucking sick of TV shows and films that start off with an incredibly intense scene, usually with the protagonist in a compromising or compromised position, then having the show/film cut to "3 days before" or "a week before" or some crap like that!

If you supposedly have a fucking imagination, use it to have an interesting starting scene that actually occurs at the START of your fucking story!

Um... have you SEEN Memento?
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #9040 on: October 23, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
Can you upload photos to this forum from your HDD without using another site to host them?

They're on my phone, which is pre-paid and needs to be topped up.

Random thought: No more staying up late for a long time... so... sleepy...

Who's your provider?
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #9041 on: October 24, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »

The Landlady?

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9042 on: October 24, 2013, 08:58:51 AM »

The Landlady?

Never heard of that.  But may have seen the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode.  But according to the synopsis people could taste the almond flavor (cyanide) in the tea.

I'm pretty sure it was the observation that someone couldn't taste almonds that lead to the solution of a poisoning.

I could have sworn it was a Poirot story but I can't find any by searching that mention almonds.  Agatha Christie did use cyanide a lot in her stories. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9043 on: October 24, 2013, 09:06:43 AM »
One of those would be Sparkling Cyanide which, while not featuring Poirot is based on a short story that does.

But an inability to taste almonds is not a plot point in that story.

Maybe you can find the specific one here.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9044 on: October 24, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
If Hitler and Lieutenant Worf were to kiss, their moustaches would never touch.