login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1789137 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #8655 on: September 25, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
But they are so awesome!

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting bit by a praying mantis, I have picked up quite a few of them and never had a problem, so there is no reason to be scared of them.

Of course a big bug unexpectedly landing on your head would be a shock, leading to a "get it off" loop...  ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:30:36 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #8656 on: September 25, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »
Freaking praying mantis attacked me this morning.  It fell on my head and fluttered around a while while I screamed in terror.

I hate those fuckers.

Just wondering: Did the thought ever occur to you to put the Mantis in your pocket and say: "I've got a mantis in my pantis"?

Because that is what I thought, and now I am jealous!
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8657 on: September 25, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »
Loud hard drive usually means "bad bearings."  It's about to crash.  Back it up if you haven't already.

Ah, darn, that's a shame. It's only about 5 years old, too. I guess it's not a huge issue, though. I never use the thing for anything particularly interesting/important. It's nice to have something portable when I need it, but I generally don't need it, and my rooted nook color can serve the same purpose. It'll give me an excuse to fiddle with/upgrade that.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8658 on: September 25, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
I really underestimated how difficult my programming courses would be.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8659 on: September 26, 2013, 12:15:32 AM »
I'm not entirely certain where I'd put this, but I've decided to drive home this weekend and confront my parents about something that's been bugging me lately, and I feel that a lot of my depression and junk could be rooted in this. Hopefully, things go well and I'm not disowned.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #8660 on: September 26, 2013, 12:42:22 AM »
Good luck!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4646
« Reply #8661 on: September 26, 2013, 01:20:06 AM »
I'm not entirely certain where I'd put this, but I've decided to drive home this weekend and confront my parents about something that's been bugging me lately, and I feel that a lot of my depression and junk could be rooted in this. Hopefully, things go well and I'm not disowned.

Given what you wrote, I'll respond with things that may assist you.  There are many good chapters, even books, on confronting parents (or abusers, depending).  There are a couple core things that I would suggest.  Hopefully some of these may be helpful.

First: think through what you would consider to be the best or worst possible outcomes.  Get intense in what you think might be possible.  Then be prepared for the possibility of either the worst possible outcome or the best.  That way, you are far less likely to be caught off-guard no matter which way it goes, or feel devastated afterwards if it does not go as you'd hoped.

When thinking about the possible outcomes, be aware that, while you may feel that you are prepared for the worst outcome, you MAY - deep inside the part of you that was injured - be maintaining a fantasy that that is not possible and that they will 'actually' do the best possible.  Because it is possible to deceive yourself on what you may expect.  That can cause more intense negative reactions internally if things do not go as you'd hoped.

If you feel it is possible, write down the key points you want to make to them, and - if they interrupt - STOP THEM and resume.  To get sidelined by denials or trivia, before you've had the chance to say the core points of what you actually NEED to say, will cause you to regret the experience.  If you feel you need to write it out in excruciating detail [as if it was one of my posts ;) ], then do so.  Do not hesitate to carry notes in to the meeting and read them verbatim if you find yourself wavering.

All the best to you.  I hope you get at least an acceptable level of resolution with this.  Remember: we will be here afterwards to help you if you don't get the response you wanted, or to cheer for you if you did. :)

Most important: Take care of yourself throughout the experience.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8662 on: September 26, 2013, 01:25:19 AM »

Given what you wrote, I'll respond with things that may assist you.  There are many good chapters, even books, on confronting parents (or abusers, depending).  There are a couple core things that I would suggest.  Hopefully some of these may be helpful.

First: think through what you would consider to be the best or worst possible outcomes.  Get intense in what you think might be possible.  Then be prepared for the possibility of either the worst possible outcome or the best.  That way, you are far less likely to be caught off-guard no matter which way it goes, or feel devastated afterwards if it does not go as you'd hoped.

When thinking about the possible outcomes, be aware that, while you may feel that you are prepared for the worst outcome, you MAY - deep inside the part of you that was injured - be maintaining a fantasy that that is not possible and that they will 'actually' do the best possible.  Because it is possible to deceive yourself on what you may expect.  That can cause more intense negative reactions internally if things do not go as you'd hoped.

If you feel it is possible, write down the key points you want to make to them, and - if they interrupt - STOP THEM and resume.  To get sidelined by denials or trivia, before you've had the chance to say the core points of what you actually NEED to say, will cause you to regret the experience.  If you feel you need to write it out in excruciating detail [as if it was one of my posts ;) ], then do so.  Do not hesitate to carry notes in to the meeting and read them verbatim if you find yourself wavering.

All the best to you.  I hope you get at least an acceptable level of resolution with this.  Remember: we will be here afterwards to help you if you don't get the response you wanted, or to cheer for you if you did. :)

Most important: Take care of yourself throughout the experience.

Yeah, I was planning on doing something like that. My head works like that, anyway, coming up with almost every outcome ever, and plus, I have an eight hour drive to sort it out. Thanks for the advice, though. I'll also be staying at either my aunt's or my friend's place, depending on how everything goes down.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4475
« Reply #8663 on: September 26, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
I can definitely see this going awry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #8664 on: September 26, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »
I don't really like blue eyes.

that's just because you don't know what it's like behind them.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #8665 on: September 26, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
I don't really like blue eyes.

that's just because you don't know what it's like behind them.
No one does.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #8666 on: September 26, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
Eddie Deezen has liked two of my posts and has responded to a question I asked.

Suck on that puny humans!
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #8667 on: September 26, 2013, 05:00:17 PM »
I really underestimated how difficult my programming courses would be.

I feel ya, brother.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #8668 on: September 26, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »
For myself, I prefer the term "Lucille McGillicunty."
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8669 on: September 26, 2013, 05:55:09 PM »
For myself, I prefer the term "Lucille McGillicunty."

I'm shocked that that last name wasn't used in late 90's ECW television.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing